So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Regardless of whether he should have known they were there or not, they existed, and that'll have affected his spending plans.

He should have been aware of them from the start and if he didn't bother to look in the first place then he's only got himself to blame.

As it was his mistake to overlook them, I don't agree that they are a valid reason for curtailing his spending plans. That's all I'm saying.

I reckon that all those hidden costs (wages, installments etc) would curtail the spending of Chris 'We need another £50m' Nathaniel's Nigerian consortium and anyone else coming into the club on a similar premise. I believe that unless someone with a bottomless pit comes in, it is a choice between racking up debt, or spending to a level that will not satisfy the majority of supporters.

But they're not hidden now are they? Nor would they be hidden from a thorough financial audit prior to completion of any sale.

If there are a shitload of outstanding debts to be paid etc, surely any bidder would simply take this into account, therefore allowing for it in any spending plans they may have? That's what Ashley singularly failed to do.

That is making assumptions though.

The assumption being that owners will want to come here with the belief that the best strategy is to spend big, or at least better than Ashley has done. What if the purchaser is more interested in the status of owning us, or wants to create a feeder club for their national team, or like Ashley believes in a buy young a cheap, sell more expensively policy?

Only one type of owner will happily accommodate those installments in their business plans in a way that will satisfy their plans, and for every one of those there are many more that would be willing to take such a hindrance on.

Regardless of whether he should have known they were there or not, they existed, and that'll have affected his spending plans.

He should have been aware of them from the start and if he didn't bother to look in the first place then he's only got himself to blame.

As it was his mistake to overlook them, I don't agree that they are a valid reason for curtailing his spending plans. That's all I'm saying.

Well it's his money at the end of the day mate. He's not going to spend it because you want him to.

Let's hope whoever comes in once the club is sold will have so much money they can blast everyone out of the water. Even those who are already blasting everyone else out of the water.

You've lost me again James. Nowhere did I assume any of those things. All I said was that I'm sick of Ashley using the 'hidden' debts as an excuse for anything, when in reality he should have known about them. I fully expect the new lot to know about them too, and therefore not be using that as an excuse either.

You've lost me again James. Nowhere did I assume any of those things. All I said was that I'm sick of Ashley using the 'hidden' debts as an excuse for anything, when in reality he should have known about them. I fully expect the new lot to know about them too, and therefore not be using that as an excuse either.

It's where you say that any new owner will take debts in to account and not buy the club if it is going to hinder them.

I get your initial point, but the discussion had appeared to move on from that.

Well it's his money at the end of the day mate. He's not going to spend it because you want him to.

Let's hope whoever comes in once the club is sold will have so much money they can blast everyone out of the water. Even those who are already blasting everyone else out of the water.

As I said in another thread, I'm not particularly bothered about someone blowing anything out of the water. All I want is stability right now, and if that's within a set budget then that's what the manager has to work with.

I only started this line of conversation as I'm sick of Ashley (and those defending him) bringing up the excuse of 'well I/he couldn't spend as much because of the hidden debts', when they weren't hidden at all - he just didn't look. That's punishing the club on the field (and therefore us) for his mistake, and I think it's bullshit.

Guest afternoonfix

Newcastle sale moves step closer as Mort flies in

Chris Mort, the former chairman of Newcastle United and one of the key deal clinchers in the business empire of their owner, Mike Ashley, was expected on Tyneside late last night in a development that suggests major movement on the sale of the club is under way.

Mort’s anticipated arrival came on the day when the spokesman for the Nigerian consortium interested in buying Newcastle said that a formal offer had been lodged last Friday, but a group of South African businessmen based in England are now considered leading contenders. They want to speak to the recently departed manager Kevin Keegan about returning to the role.

Within Ashley’s circle it is being said that there are five potential bidders and that two or three have the money deemed necessary. Ashley bought the club for £134m and says he has spent a further £110m to address the inherited debt. As well as the African suitors, it is understood that the bank Ashley has commissioned to sell Newcastle, Seymour Pierce, has received interest from credible sources in America and China.

Mort’s presence in the region will be viewed as significant by fans. It is believed he has not to have been back at St James’ Park since leaving at the end of last season. Mort is the only member of the Ashley regime to have impressed supporters. Crucially to Ashley, Mort knows the financial detail at St James’ as well as anyone.

Chris Nathaniel, the spokesman for the anonymous Nigerians, said: “A bid was put in on Friday evening. There’s been no timeline given by Newcastle, but we hope it will be some time soon.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-sale-moves-step-closer-as-mort-flies-in-946149.html

It's where you say that any new owner will take debts in to account and not buy the club if it is going to hinder them.

I get your initial point, but the discussion had appeared to move on from that.

I didn't actually say they might pull out, Hindu did. I said that any buyer would surely take it into consideration when agreeing the price. If it transpires the club has many lingering debts, surely the valuation of the club will then be lowered. They won't pay as much if it's going to cost more to bail out, will they?

I just don't see how that would affect any spending plans they may have. Maybe if the club went UP in value and therefore cost more, but how will outstanding debts cause that?

On the other hand if Ashley has been as good as he says and has cleared most of them, the club will be valued highly. But again, that will be taken into account in terms of the asking price.

If I'm going majorly wrong here someone with more knowledge will correct me, but I just don't see the link between the debts and any spending plans. If the buyer does his homework (as Ashley failed to), they'll work out how much they want to spend on transfers and that prior to buying.

i have to say, for some reason i feel better with mort here.

Was just going to say the same thing, and I really don't know why :lol:

Ditto. I guess it's because he's from a time when we had trust in the people running the club, and he was the public face of that. I miss him tbh :(

i have to say, for some reason i feel better with mort here.

Was just going to say the same thing, and I really don't know why :lol:

why dont you know why? it's pretty obvious isn't it, the guy communicated with the fans and seemed to have a shred of credibility as a chairman/MD/whatever

Actually, just looking at the pic again, isn't that Vetere & Jimenez in front of Ashley & Keegan?

I thought they weren't appointed until the same time as Wise?

Vetere had been at a few matches before then, i noticed him in the crowd and thought he stood out. Jiminez was said to be behind the negotiations that brought Keegan here in the first place.

phew thank fuck, Mort's here, everything is fine

tbh if Wise and Llambias were sacked tomorrow and Mort brought back I'd probably shit myself with glee. 

Mort is a hard nosed businessman as well at the end of the day. He told Deby to fuck off when they asked for more than £2m for Giles Barnes last year didn't he?