So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Guest sicko2ndbest

Potential purchasers of Newcastle meanwhile will be contacted in the next 24 hours by investment bankers brokering the sale of the club on Mike Ashley's behalf.

With a measure of stability returning to the financial markets yesterday the seven parties that have expressed a serious interest in the club will have the chance to formalise their approaches in the coming days.

Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/westham/3191124/West-Ham-close-to-new-sponsorship-deal-Football.html

P.S Heard a rumour that we will be owned by russians by the weekend!

Guest johnson293

Also, on the BBC....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7668378.stm

Newcastle sale 'progressing well'

Ashley is not expected to be at the club at the end of the season

The sale of Newcastle United is progressing "extremely well", according to the man who is brokering the deal.

Keith Harris, chairman of investment bank Seymour Pierce, told BBC Radio 5 Live there are several groups who are "seriously interested" in the club.

He said that despite the global financial crisis, he would be surprised if current owner Mike Ashley was still at the club at the end of the season.

"I'm quietly confident there'll be a good solution for Mike and the fans."

Ashley put the club up for sale in mid-September after he was on the end of a furious backlash from fans upset at the departure of manager Kevin Keegan.

Harris, who had acted as adviser in the sales of fellow Premier League sides Aston Villa to Randy Lerner in 2006 and Manchester City to Thaksin Shinawatra in 2007, was brought on board by Ashley almost immediately.

The former Football League chairman admitted that the recent financial turmoil had had an impact on his efforts to broker a deal.

But he added: "In his time of owning it, Mike has cleaned up the balance sheets and Newcastle is one of the few clubs that has no debt whatsoever, so that makes it very attractive to an incoming owner."

Harris also revealed that Ashley had put no time limit on the sale, and that the prospective new owners are not UK-based.

Prospective bidders have been given until 17 October to register a firm interest in the club, which is thought to be available for £280m to £300m.

Joe Kinnear was appointed acting manager on 26 September until a new owner is found.

The former Wimbledon boss said on Monday that confidence levels when he arrived at the club were as low as he had ever experienced.

The club fought back to secure a 2-2 draw at Everton in his first game in charge, ending a nightmare run of five straight defeats.

"We have started to get the belief back in our ability and get more confidence," said Kinnear.

"Above all, we have had a quick change of attitude at the club amongst the players.

"Everybody has been working hard, and to see the reaction has been great."

Kinnear's task has not been helped by a long injury and suspension list, including Joey Barton, Habib Beye, Jonas Gutierrez, Ignacio Gonzalez, Mark Viduka, Obafemi Martins and Alan Smith.

The interim boss says he has been scouring Uefa's list of out-of-contract players for new recruits, but is yet to find anyone suitable.

"The list is full of players who have only played two games for their clubs, and they are not the sort of players I want for Newcastle," he said.

"Those type of players are not going to improve us and, to tell the truth, I already have better players here, even those who are on the fringe of the first team."

The former Football League chairman admitted that the recent financial turmoil had had an impact on his efforts to broker a deal.

But he added: "In his time of owning it, Mike has cleaned up the balance sheets and Newcastle is one of the few clubs that has no debt whatsoever, so that makes it very attractive to an incoming owner."

lets hope so

FFS just tell the truth. How can we believe anything they say when they contradict each other every week.

FFS just tell the truth. How can we believe anything they say when they contradict each other every week.

Why isn't it attractive? The selling price is all the buyer has to pay, they can choose their own manager and basically take the club any direction they want.

Why isn't it attractive? The selling price is all the buyer has to pay, they can choose their own manager and basically take the club any direction they want.

Exactly, Revenue off merchandise, tickets and sponsorships will not be going to repaying debt. If the new owners can get the % amount of revenue spent on wages below 50% then there is another 50% to play about with (new players, better youth academy,etc.), i wish the club would be a bit more clear like i have on to what our money is spent on.

Basically if they use the money off revenue well they wont have to put their own money in that much , i would much prefer this method to winning something unlike Chelsea just buying success.

Exactly, Revenue off merchandise, tickets and sponsorships will not be going to repaying debt. If the new owners can get the % amount of revenue spent on wages below 50% then there is another 50% to play about with (new players, better youth academy,etc.), i wish the club would be a bit more clear like i have on to what our money is spent on.

Basically if they use the money off revenue well they wont have to put their own money in that much , i would much prefer this method to winning something unlike Chelsea just buying success.

Hypothetical question, but does that mean if new owners came in and offered to put up say £100m of their own money for transfers in January, you wouldn't want them to do it?

i would much prefer this method to winning something unlike Chelsea just buying success.

We are success starved ffs & are sitting at 18th at the moment with JFK at the helm & owner who wants out. I will take any form of success that is on the go at the moment & worry about the route or how we did later.

i would much prefer this method to winning something unlike Chelsea just buying success.

Bollocks!

We are success starved ffs & are sitting at 18th at the moment with JFK at the helm & owner who wants out. I will take any form of success that is on the go at the moment & worry about the route or how we did later.

Here fucking here

Whether people know what the financial realities are of turning the debt into equity doesn't change the fact that Harris says it has happened.

And that's irrelevant to this discussion anyway as while people might not understand it, that does not mean that he is a liar which is what you originally implied and I was taking issue with.  The "no viable bids" is also irrelevant unless you have some quotes from Harris about that too?

What I meant was that theres been so much BS surrounding all of this, theres no good reason why I should implicitly believe or trust Harris because of some notion of him being a reputable man.

He works for an investment company - I wouldn't automatically trust such a person if they told me 2+2 =4.

He may be telling the truth but even last week Kinnear said that he'd been told Ashley was talking to people.

So you choose not to believe Harris and state that it's because there's "so much BS surrounding all of this" but then go on to use a quote by Joe Kinnear, implying you trust Joe Kinnear, to beat Harris up, when it's in fact JFK who's created 80% of this BS with his statements changing like the wind? 

Right.

:thup:

It is staggering the lengths some people will go to to try and magic up more controversy around the club.  Clearly driven by some other agenda.

ironic comment of the century

oh dear

Ruud Gullit feels for Newcastle United's fans over the current state at the club.

He told Setanta: “It’s unbelievable, it is a mess.

“It’s not a surprise, not so much. It is very difficult, I love the fans, the fans are great, I love the people there.

"I don’t think they have too much expectations, they just want a bit of success at the club, and they want to be part of their club. In the last year there have been more downs than ups so I hope that they will come back to a level that is acceptable for the fans."

When asked if he would consider returning to the club, Gullit replied: “I don’t know! I loved it there, the crowd were really good.

“But now it is too unstable at the moment for any coach, you don’t know what will happen, so everyone is leaning backwards and to see what is going to happen in a couple of months.”

keith harris was on five live last night, amongst other things he said there's 'a surprising amount of interest in the club, given the state of the economy' that 'things were progressing very well' that 'the money is coming from outside of the uk' and that he'd be 'surprised if ashley was still there at the end of the season', also that it was down to personal and not money issues that ashley was selling up.

Whether people know what the financial realities are of turning the debt into equity doesn't change the fact that Harris says it has happened.

And that's irrelevant to this discussion anyway as while people might not understand it, that does not mean that he is a liar which is what you originally implied and I was taking issue with.  The "no viable bids" is also irrelevant unless you have some quotes from Harris about that too?

What I meant was that theres been so much BS surrounding all of this, theres no good reason why I should implicitly believe or trust Harris because of some notion of him being a reputable man.

He works for an investment company - I wouldn't automatically trust such a person if they told me 2+2 =4.

He may be telling the truth but even last week Kinnear said that he'd been told Ashley was talking to people.

So you choose not to believe Harris and state that it's because there's "so much BS surrounding all of this" but then go on to use a quote by Joe Kinnear, implying you trust Joe Kinnear, to beat Harris up, when it's in fact JFK who's created 80% of this BS with his statements changing like the wind? 

Right.

:thup:

It is staggering the lengths some people will go to to try and magic up more controversy around the club.  Clearly driven by some other agenda.

ironic comment of the century

In the context of that comment, what controversy have I magicked up then?  If anything, rightly or wrongly, I've been one of the calmer, more optimistic people around here during the recent unrest.

keith harris was on five live last night, amongst other things he said there's 'a surprising amount of interest in the club, given the state of the economy' that 'things were progressing very well' that 'the money is coming from outside of the uk' and that he'd be 'surprised if ashley was still there at the end of the season', also that it was down to personal and not money issues that ashley was selling up.

This is where you can hear that interview: -

Aww not again.

If it turns into another old board/new board, Shepherd/Ashley debate then don't worry, I wont reply as I'm bored with that too.

I do think I have the right to ask the question given his reply, but if you think it will sidetrack yet another discussion I'll back away.  I'm only here for a bit of light hearted banter  :)

Guest icemanblue

Definitely building up to something. This Harris bloke seems to have developed some loose lips over the past few days.

"Mike wants to get a maximum price but he also wants to make sure that it goes into hands that will look after it. He wants to go into hands that want to look after it and nurture it for the future."

I hope that's true.

"Mike wants to get a maximum price but he also wants to make sure that it goes into hands that will look after it. He wants to go into hands that want to look after it and nurture it for the future."

I hope that's true.

Didn't SJH say similar things when MA took over?

Something along the lines of only selling to him because he was certain that Mr Ashley was committed to moving the club forward