So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

in the daily mail too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1080200/Kuwaiti-billionaire-ready-buy-Newcastle-end-week.html?ITO=1490

Mike Ashley's Newcastle hell could soon be over. The Magpies owner has been desperate to sell the club since Kevin Keegan quit as manager a month ago and a host of would-be buyers have come and gone.

However, one of them - a Kuwait billionaire - is reportedly ready to offer Ashley £300m for the struggling club.

ashley

Ready to sell: Mike Ashley

The Sun reports that businessman Nasser Al-Kharafi is in serious discussions with Ashley and is ready to table a firm offer.

The Toon deal will be channelled through an Abu Dhabi company but Al-Kharafi is the man behind it. He is worth £9billion and is listed as the world’s 48th richest man.

He made his money in construction and engineering and was linked with the club last month when a spokesman claimed there was 'nothing serious going on'.

But Al-Kharafi and his family have been studying documents about Newcastle’s financial state and are ready to make their move.

A source close to the family said: 'Newcastle intrigues them and there’s a real chance they could get the club. It is possible the deal could be done by next week.'

Doesn't add up to the earlier rumour from the Spunkers website which is indicating that the buyer is the brother of the City owner. It also seems strange that when a deal hasn't been announced Kharafi's interest is being leaked Nigerian consortium style.

Sounds quite nice doesn't it...

Wonder if we would get a 100 million pot in January :) ??

As long as we have a top class manager in charge of course, and not a 2nd rate one. I love Joe Kinnear myself, and think he's exactly what this club needed in this period of doom and gloom. However, we need someone who will come in and spend that money right, to bring players who will fit with a progressive footballing plan that will materialize on the football pitch and not on merchandizing profits.

Sounds quite nice doesn't it...

Wonder if we would get a 100 million pot in January :) ??

As long as we have a top class manager in charge of course, and not a 2nd rate one. I love Joe Kinnear myself, and think he's exactly what this club needed in this period of doom and gloom. However, we need someone who will come in and spend that money right, to bring players who will fit with a progressive footballing plan that will materialize on the football pitch and not on merchandizing profits.

Yes but just help out Kinnear with a DOF , maybe keep wise on?  :rolleyes:

I fucking love Joe Kinnear. I don't want him as our permanent manager but he's been an absolute breath of fresh air since he came to the club.

I really hope another club gives him a chance after his stint here, but even if they don't i'd be happy to see him stay in a coaching capacity.

I f***ing love Joe Kinnear. I don't want him as our permanent manager but he's been an absolute breath of fresh air since he came to the club.

I really hope another club gives him a chance after his stint here, but even if they don't i'd be happy to see him stay in a coaching capacity.

definitely, joe really has been a breath of fresh air this season, it would be nice to see him stay on in some sort of role :)

Kinnear has signed on for another month so cant see much truth in an announcement being made today

Even the man city deal took another couple of weeks or so after announcement to actually go through.  Its highly likely the the new people would keep Joe on for a week or 2 or until they had their own guy ready to come in anyway.

I f***ing love Joe Kinnear. I don't want him as our permanent manager but he's been an absolute breath of fresh air since he came to the club.

Most would agree unless we get beat tomorrow

in the daily mail too

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1080200/Kuwaiti-billionaire-ready-buy-Newcastle-end-week.html?ITO=1490

Mike Ashley's Newcastle hell could soon be over. The Magpies owner has been desperate to sell the club since Kevin Keegan quit as manager a month ago and a host of would-be buyers have come and gone.

However, one of them - a Kuwait billionaire - is reportedly ready to offer Ashley £300m for the struggling club.

ashley

Ready to sell: Mike Ashley

The Sun reports that businessman Nasser Al-Kharafi is in serious discussions with Ashley and is ready to table a firm offer.

The Toon deal will be channelled through an Abu Dhabi company but Al-Kharafi is the man behind it. He is worth £9billion and is listed as the world’s 48th richest man.

He made his money in construction and engineering and was linked with the club last month when a spokesman claimed there was 'nothing serious going on'.

But Al-Kharafi and his family have been studying documents about Newcastle’s financial state and are ready to make their move.

A source close to the family said: 'Newcastle intrigues them and there’s a real chance they could get the club. It is possible the deal could be done by next week.'

The Mail are just saying "The Sun says".  They always rehash other papers storys the next morning.

Kinnear has signed on for another month so cant see much truth in an announcement being made today

Even the man city deal took another couple of weeks or so after announcement to actually go through.  Its highly likely the the new people would keep Joe on for a week or 2 or until they had their own guy ready to come in anyway.

Agreed - in any case, the new owners will only really want a new manager in place in time for the Jan transfer window ; any new buys have to be the choice of a permanent manager.

Let's just not judge the manager/owners on the Jan transfer window, given how it is difficult to persuade players to move at that time of year.

Nobody SHOULD judge them on that, but any new manager would want whatever money was available to be spent(or not, as the case may be)on players HE wants, not Kinnear.

Having said that, if Kinnear is keeping the team out of trouble, I wouldn't mind if he was there until May unless someone like Wenger was available(and who knows after his comments about Arsenal fans..!).

Let's just not judge the manager/owners on the Jan transfer window, given how it is difficult to persuade players to move at that time of year.

I wont as long as they make over 100m worth of bids in one day like Man City did. :frantic:

I certainly hope we don't. It's a stupid idea to flash your wallet, cause it'll only result in greedy persons and clubs demanding ridiculous money for their players.I'd much rather have us put in some sensible bids. You know, one of the reasons we've blown away good money on shittty players comes down to the lack of a proper scouting and long-term managers. And I certainly don't want to see Kinnear spend big money on the next Ali Dia. I'd much rather do what James suggests.

I wont as long as they make over 100m worth of bids in one day like Man City did. :frantic:

I certainly hope we don't. It's a stupid idea to flash your wallet, cause it'll only result in greedy persons and clubs demanding ridiculous money for their players.I'd much rather have us put in some sensible bids. You know, one of the reasons we've blown away good money on shittty players comes down to the lack of a proper scouting and long-term managers. And I certainly don't want to see Kinnear spend big money on the next Ali Dia. I'd much rather do what James suggests.

Iw as only kidding but ti would be ncie provided they where the right players.

Glad to see you've learnt the sum total of fuck all from the experience of the past 18 months.

Well done.

Same thing made the Telegraph too. Just a rehash of the Sun story though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/3251617/Newcastle-on-the-brink-of-takeover-deal-with-Kuwaiti-billionaire-Football.html

Newcastle United are reportedly close to agreeing a £300 million takeover deal with Kuwaiti billionaire Masser Al-Kharafi.

Talks with the 48th richest man in the world have been ongoing this week, and sources close to the businessman believe a firm offer will be made to Mike Ashley.

Though a spokesman has claimed “nothing serious” is going on, Al-Kharafi was named one of the seven groups interested in the club a few weeks ago.

Should the deal go through it will be channelled through an Abu Dhabi company, but Al-Kharafi will be the man behind it.

“Newcastle intrigues them,” a source told the Sun. “There’s a real chance they could get the club.

“It is possible the deal could be done by next week.”

Meanwhile, interim manager Joe Kinnear is set to sign a new one-month contract.

The 61-year-old will extend his stay on Tyneside, which was due to expire at the end of October, until the end of November by agreeing a rolling deal.

“I will be signing a new contract, but it will be for another month,” Kinnear said.

“It’s a monthly situation because I know they are in talks - who with, I have no idea - but they are in talks and what they are doing, it is just like a rolling contract, one month after another month, and then take it from there.

“During the week, there were three or four managers mentioned. Gerard Houllier - there were so many, I lost count. Sven-Goran Eriksson was in there as well.

“I don’t know, really. There are so many consortiums.”

Whatever happens behind the scenes over the next few weeks and months, Kinnear insists he is enjoying every minute of his big chance.

He said: “I love it. It’s the best thing I have ever done, it really is.

“I have tried on numerous occasions to get myself back in. All the interviews that I’d had, I had asked if I could just make a statement and have them listen to what I had to say.

“But it was, 'How’s your heart?’, 'How’s your medical situation?’, so really, I was written off, to be honest.

“This is a fantastic opportunity for me to let everybody know I am back in the business.

“If it’s not to be at Newcastle, I understand that, if Kevin Keegan is on his way back.

“But you never know what will happen to me, if I do a good job here, where it is going to take me.

“I have got to make sure a do a really great job for the short period of time I am here.”

Glad to see you've learnt the sum total of fuck all from the experience of the past 18 months.

Well done.

to be fair, he's hardly alone in this

Glad to see you've learnt the sum total of f*** all from the experience of the past 18 months.

Well done.

So to clarify, just for my benefit - we should be overpaying if thats whats required? Is that in reference to our current plight (low on numbers) or generally?