So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

its not dic were in talks with anyway is it? i thought it was zabeel investments?

All the same aren't they? At least funded by the same guy.

The fan buyout is the most appealing, IMO. Similar to the Barcelona set up, hopefully.

Difference is, Barca fans generally aren't charver morons.

Yeah I'm sure all Barca fans are geniuses.. they speak Spanish after all so they could never be idiots ???

And Catalan.

its not dic were in talks with anyway is it? i thought it was zabeel investments?

All the same aren't they? At least funded by the same guy.

The fan buyout is the most appealing, IMO. Similar to the Barcelona set up, hopefully.

Difference is, Barca fans generally aren't charver morons.

Yeah I'm sure all Barca fans are geniuses.. they speak Spanish after all so they could never be idiots ???

And Catalan.

See, they speak two languages, they're fucking geniuses I tell you!

Guest johnson293

Kuwaiti magnate linked to Magpies..

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/09/18/kuwaiti-magnate-linked-to-magpies-61634-21844054/

Sep 18 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

AS Mike Ashley continues his search for an Arab billionaire to buy Newcastle United, Kuwait businessman Nasser Al Kharafi is the latest name to be linked with a possible takeover.

With Ashley apparently determined to make a large profit on the sale of Newcastle United – despite his supposed determination to hand over control of the club following a fans’ revolt against him – United are not attracting much interest among the wealthy elite of the Middle East.

Sources in Dubai have indicated Ashley is asking a massive £480m to sell a club he paid just £130m for 16 months ago. Although Ashley also had to invest another £110m to stabilise a spiraling debt, he would still make a huge profit if he can find anyone to pay his alleged asking price.

In truth, however, that looks extremely unlikely despite a suggestion from an intermediary working on his behalf that Al Kharafi is interested in becoming Newcastle’s new owner.

The intermediary said: “Nasser Al Kharafi has the money to buy the club, but the way Mike Ashley is going about things is wrong. He is actually putting off any interested buyers with the price and his refusal to negotiate. If he genuinely wants to sell he is going about it the wrong way.

“At the last estimate Nasser was worth around US$12bn, but he still won’t pay over the odds for the club. Mr Ashley seems to think he can ask what he wants because he is dealing with people who are multi-billionaires, but that simply isn’t the case. As things stand he will be returning to England without a buyer.”

Those comments were followed by the now popular claim that a new regime would look to reappoint Kevin Keegan as manager, but given the number of false links over the last few days it remains to be seen whether anything concrete happens.

As the world’s 29th richest man, the 63-year-old Kharafi, who made his money in the construction industry and who also owns a number of American fast food franchises across the Arab world, certainly has the money needed to finance a takeover.

But there is a growing sense of desperation surrounding Ashley’s trip to Dubai and financial experts in the Middle East doubt whether the sports retailer will be able to attract a buyer quickly.

There has been a steady stream of reportedly interested parties since the row with Keegan led to his departure almost a fortnight ago, but they have all been followed by swift denials.

Dubai Investment Group were the latest to deny they were interested in buying Newcastle yesterday after Ashley had spent Tuesday night drinking in a Dubai bar with his United cohorts Dennis Wise and Derek Llambias.

A statement from DIG said: “Following incorrect media speculation about Newcastle Football Club, Dubai Investment Group can confirm that it is not involved in any negotiations to buy Newcastle Football Club, nor does it plan to do so in the future.”

This followed a similar denial from the chairman of Zeebel Investments, Mohammed Ali Al Hashimi, who also responded to reports linking his group with a bid by saying he was “not interested in any (English Premier League club) right now”.

Meanwhile, David O’Leary is attempting to put himself forward for the vacant manager’s position at St James’s Park through friends in the media.

It is highly unlikely the appointment of the Irishman, who has been out of work for the last two years since he lost his job at Aston Villa, would go down well with supporters.

O’Leary, though, has strong connections in London following his successful playing career with Arsenal and the United hierarchy are so ostracised from the club’s supporters they are not scared to make more controversial decisions.

Ashley knows the team can not be allowed to drift without firm leadership indefinitely as caretaker manager Chris Hughton is operating in extremely difficult circumstances as he prepares the team for the trip to West Ham at the weekend.

If a buyer cannot be found during his business trip to Dubai, Newcastle’s unpopular owner will have to turn his attention back to trying to find a suitable replacement for Keegan, despite the lack of obvious candidates.

Guest johnson293

If thats true (about the report stating our value) then I would think the best price he (Ashley) could bargain to would be around the £250m mark - I doubt he'd seriously expect the £400m+, but I suspect he'll have wanted at leats £300m.

Almost sounds like they're haggling about the price

Ashley: I'll sell you this club for £480m

Buyer: No chance, it's worth £200m and no more

Ashley: Hmm, well I could drop the price to £400m & throw in this nice gourd

Buyer: Well I could go to £225m

Ashley: That's still less than I paid, how about £350m?

Buyer: Still too high for me, how about £275m & you keep the gourd?

Ashley: Nice doing business with you.

It actually sounds like Ashley has been reading this board... "oh those Arabs must all be the same, that fake Rolex i got last Christmas was priced at $1,000 and i got it for $10, best stick the football club at an obscene cost and then we'll shout prices at each other until we eventually meet in the middle". Newcastle's very own Terry Tibbs

It's hard to tell where all this is going to end up. It's very hard to run a top-level professional football club at a profit. I think that Man U are the only exception, because of their enormous world-wide commercial power. Other investors can only hope to make money at the point when they sell the club on to someone who wants it more, and there's no guarantee that will happen.

In practice, the new investors  - Eccelstone, Lerner, Hicks, Abramovich, Ashley etc - have some particular interest in sport that attracts them. There are far better ways of making money than through owning a football club. It used to be local businessmen with an affinity with a local club - now it's bigger businessmen who want the same kind of vicarious thrills.

We're now hearing about 'Investment Groups', 'Hedge Funds', 'Consortiums' etc - all of whom would want some ongoing returns on their investments. I don't think they'd be pumping in their own money just for the thrill of it. Ashley's £20 million a year might not be Abramovich-style megabucks, but getting more might not be as easy as some might think.

It's hard to tell where all this is going to end up. It's very hard to run a top-level professional football club at a profit. I think that Man U are the only exception, because of their enormous world-wide commercial power. Other investors can only hope to make money at the point when they sell the club on to someone who wants it more, and there's no guarantee that will happen.

In practice, the new investors  - Eccelstone, Lerner, Hicks, Abramovich, Ashley etc - have some particular interest in sport that attracts them. There are far better ways of making money than through owning a football club. It used to be local businessmen with an affinity with a local club - now it's bigger businessmen who want the same kind of vicarious thrills.

We're now hearing about 'Investment Groups', 'Hedge Funds', 'Consortiums' etc - all of whom would want some ongoing returns on their investments. I don't think they'd be pumping in their own money just for the thrill of it. Ashley's £20 million a year might not be Abramovich-style megabucks, but getting more might not be as easy as some might think.

Not as easy as thought, no, but as was discussed a while back, a lot of the Arabian consortiums and investment groups are doing it as a show of financial strength / positive western publicity. They aren't necessarily looking to run the club as a business, more of a status symbol. I'm not sure which of those two options is best, mind. What happened to clubs being run as football clubs? As and when i have kids how rubbish is it going to be trying to explain how it used to be about the fans and a passionate birthright? All football is now is a big business, it sucks.

Not as easy as thought, no, but as was discussed a while back, a lot of the Arabian consortiums and investment groups are doing it as a show of financial strength / positive western publicity. They aren't necessarily looking to run the club as a business, more of a status symbol. I'm not sure which of those two options is best, mind. What happened to clubs being run as football clubs? As and when i have kids how rubbish is it going to be trying to explain how it used to be about the fans and a passionate birthright? All football is now is a big business, it sucks.

If you're right, and the primary motivation is to acquire a 'status symbol', than that's a worry, because that kind of motivation won't last.

I don't think Ashley was all about big business. He wanted to run the club in a stable fashion, but he's a genuine football fan and he wanted something more than that. He's been dismissed far too quickly, all on the back of this emotional reaction to Keegan going.

If you're right, and the primary motivation is to acquire a 'status symbol', than that's a worry, because that kind of motivation won't last.

I don't think Ashley was all about big business. He wanted to run the club in a stable fashion, but he's a genuine football fan and he wanted something more than that. He's been dismissed far too quickly, all on the back of this emotional reaction to Keegan going.

My reasons for dismissing him are far beyond the action of Keegan in leaving but definitely another thread for that!

I don't actually agree that Ashley wanted us as anything other than a business and none of his actions have demonstrated otherwise, with the exception of wearing a toon shirt and sitting in with the fans, which cynics have called PR. The buying cheap, apparent re-financing rather than removal of debts, minimal input in playing staff and sky high asking price (if all true, obviously), will show this to be nothing but a short term high gain business deal. Maybe he sussed the markets were going to go tits up and has used an imaginitive alternative equity trading process. If it ends up seeing him make £100m plus in around a year i'll find it hard not to feel like we've been totally done.

Also, sure it's been discussed elsewhere, but didn't Whelan say he was a Spurs fan? Don't trust a word that comes out of that asshole's mouth in fairness, Bruce in best 4 managers in league, Zaki the new Shearer, dear oh dear. He doesn't like Ashley after the whole shirt-fixing scandal anyhow. I'm arguing with myself now, i'll stop.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/09/18/kuwaiti-magnate-linked-to-magpies-61634-21844054/

AS Mike Ashley continues his search for an Arab billionaire to buy Newcastle United, Kuwait businessman Nasser Al Kharafi is the latest name to be linked with a possible takeover.

bah, only the 48th richest person in the world. He`s a pauper compared to Anil Ambani

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasser_Al-Kharafi

bah, only the 48th richest person in the world. He`s a pauper compared to Anil Ambani

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasser_Al-Kharafi

Fuck him then, who is with me for the first and bestest Ashley IN protest?

A spokesman for Kuwaiti billionaire Nasser Al Kharafi yesterday quashed rumours of a takeover. Ashley has been in Dubai this week, seeking a buyer for the club, reportedly at a price £481 million.

"Nasser Al Kharafi has the money to buy the club, but the way Mike Ashley is going about things is wrong," an intermediary working on Al Kharafi's behalf said. "He is putting off any interested buyers with the price and his refusal to negotiate. If he genuinely wants to sell he is going about it the wrong way."

From the Telegraph today. It's becoming pretty obvious to me that there are buyers out there but Ashley doesn't want to sell. This whole thing seems to be a charade which is unnecessary. If he doesn't want to sell, fine get a manager in and get on with it.

Been saying n it for days, the twat is just taking the piss.

To think that bloke in your avatar flew into England to try and buy Newcastle...what is he the 6th richest man in the world? Ashley doesn't want to sell unless he gets an offer he can't refuse.

Been saying n it for days, the t*** is just taking the piss.

To think that bloke in your avatar flew into England to try and buy Newcastle...what is he the 6th richest man in the world? Ashley doesn't want to sell unless he gets an offer he can't refuse.

Aye, he bought us and realized he was out of his depth, promised Keegan the earth then had to try and find investors to be able to give KK the money he promised him. Now he needs to sell as the fans hate him but he is looking for a massive profit he will never get, he will have to sell at some point but I cans ee him dragging this out for a long time yet.

Anil Ambani was very interested in buying us but did not want just to invest, we missed the boat with him as now he is considering Everton. :(

It's only a week since he put the club up for sale. You can't expect him to have done a deal already.

Potential buyers know that he's keen to sell, so they'll be testing him out with low offers.

I think he's genuine about wanting to sell, because he must be very hacked off with the way things have turned out.  The thought might be in the back of his mind that the present storm might blow over, and the mood become more conciliatory, but I doubt it.