So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

The point is threads tend to descend into them whenever you're around posting in them. You'll deny this as usual, and claim none of it's your fault like. Strange, that.

Anyway, we move on.

The point is threads tends to descend into one whenever you're around posting in them. Strange, that.

Anyway, we move on.

most threads tend to drift into other areas Dave, but continue thinking its only when I'm here by all means.

The point is threads tends to descend into one whenever you're around posting in them. Strange, that.

Anyway, we move on.

most threads tend to drift into other areas Dave, but continue thinking its only when I'm here by all means.

here we go again

Anyway, we move on.

here we go again

apart from the fact that you just love it  ;D

its strange how people disagree with me then say the same things themselves or agree with others when they say it.

Whatever. Time for some shut eye. Don't you go to work in the morning ?

Anyway, we move on.

here we go again

apart from the fact that you just love it  ;D

its strange how people disagree with me then say the same things themselves or agree with others when they say it.

Whatever. Time for some shut eye. Don't you go to work in the morning ?

na....spent the last 6 days getting up at 4am. now my body is used to staying awake.....spending all tomorrow in bed though.

and you know well the points on which i agree with you and those on which i disagree with you.

its quite easy for you to reply.

Show me where it was a slagging match ? I hope he is so quick when people have a go at me when I'm not particularly addressing them, but somehow I don;t think he will.

Its a serious observation. I think that as a supporter of the club you shouldn't be worried about a relatively small amount of money and concerning yourself more with the state the club is in thanks to it being run like a corner shop buying and selling cheap 2nd rate s**** ? Oh, wait a moment ............

I don't want a slagging match either, Dave himself has said pretty much the same thing himself so I understand his stance even less.

If we're going to have a go at Ashley then at least we should have a go about something which is deserved.  I've had a go at him over some things but I'm not doing it for the sake of it.  I think we're in a mess but I think we've been in worse recently and I think if nothing changes between now and the end of the season we'll finish higher than we did last season.  I think if Keegan had of remained at the club with this squad we would have finished top 10 and if we'd invested another £20 million during the summer then we'd have played in Europe next season.

I don't think we're as bad now with Kinnear as we were without a manager and I think we have enough to still make progress on the pitch, even if it's not as much as we could have made under different circumstances.

I'd cream if we got taken over by someone from China, or Ambani for that matter.

Why?

because they will have loads of money probably.

Mike Ashley's got plenty of money.

Ambani's got a hell of a lot more.

So?

Well having plenty of cash has had a fair bit to do with Abramovich turning Chelsea into a force, and I would imagine it had something to do with City buying Robinho. I assume we don't want another owner like Ashley who will be unwilling to spend big.

I'm not all that arsed about Abramovich/City-style spending tbh. I want someone who's in between Ashley and those lot IMO, someone who believes in organic growth and building on a solid base but at the same time not unwilling to spend to back the manager if required.

Wishful thinking perhaps, but I hope for someone like Randy Lerner. He's worth less than Ashley from a quick peek at Wikipedia btw.

Hate to bring this up but even Lerner took a season before spending big in the transfer market, his initial two transfer windows were pretty tame. Not unlike Ashley's. Keith Harris also praised Lerner for not saddling the club with debt (sound familiar?) and investing his own money. The key difference seems to be that Lerner was prepared to back O'Neill's judgement, whereas Ashley preferred Wise/Jiminez's choices.

I wouldn't call 10m after six months for Ashley Young tame tbh.

I wouldnt call £10m for Collocinni tame either....

and 12m for Milner just about covered it. So much for being a big club.

fredbob, I think you are OK mate, but its about time you realised that big clubs are supposed to sign these players withouth having to sell other players to accomodate them. You are supposed to build quality, not replace one for one. This is in fact the policy followed by 2nd rate clubs that people have harped on about for ages, saying that we should be like them because pompey won the FA Cup and Blackburn won the League Cup. The fact is, about 60 clubs in the country are run like this, and these 2 clubs are top of these clubs, whereas NUFC used to be run like this too and were raised above it and have achieved consistently high league placings and regular european football as a result.

I'm trying to explain this here. Nobody can guarantee success, you can only set out to strive for it. And NUFC have to behave bigger than clubs like this.

Another fact is that Keegan and Bobby Robson also bought expensive defenders, but also bought forwards and qualified for europe, so whats the big deal ?

Would you turn down £12 m for Milner?

as has been said, look at the overall spend and look at the fact that they didn't even allow their own manager the money to replace him, in fact they replaced him with a player he didn't even want for half the money.

Now, THAT my friend, is straight back to the days of McKeag, Westwood etc.....right back to it. Take my word for it. No wonder Keegan walked out.

That wasnt the question - the question is would you turn down £12m for milner, do you think Keegan would of turned down £12m for Milner?

Im not defending the amount he spent this window - its almost indefendable but i am defending his intentions becasue i did see enough evidence to suggest that he was looking to spend - how much this Keegan farce being a contributory factor to the lack of acivity this summer is something we just dont know yet people are choosing to ignore this and also ignore certain other snippets of evidence SUCH as the transfer record in order to pursue there personal conspiracy theories.

Personally - because unlike some people I won't ignore obvious questions - I would take it. But I would expect that in the overall picture would be that I would be given that very money to spend as I please, and also as manager as one of the biggest clubs in the country, more as well as that. In fact, a club that is really a big club, would get the replacement through the door first.

Keegan didn't get it, so he's gone. You can't dispute it fredbob, this is why he's gone, and its all because they didn;t have the ambition or trust, or both, in their own appointed manager. Clubs that apply this philosophy willl get nowhere and it just isn't good enough for NUFC

:thup:

Fair enough

Id like to point out though that there are countless examples of managers not getting funds from sales, some in the very recent past involving some very key players.

Its another point that we still dont know the clubs intentions with the Milner money, ive heard McGeady ive heard Schweinstiger both tenious due to the outcome so its something i cant comment on too much - i certainly wont say that they had full intention to inest the oney back in, just like i wont say they had no intention of investing the money back in becasue quite frankly, i just dont know. Ill just chose to use the evidence i see and the evidence i dont see i'll state as guesswork.

Considering the fact that the deadline for bids has been put back and now shunted aside altogether, I get the feeling that Harris is trying to talk up a sale but no one's biting at the price of £300m. There's obviously genuine interest if Ashley drops the price by £30-50m. If it's a case of brinkmanship he's taking a big risk that the sale will fall through IMO. If a new buyer can't get in in time to work the January window, they'll just step back till next year or look somewhere else.

Its another point that we still dont know the clubs intentions with the Milner money, ive heard McGeady ive heard Schweinstiger both tenious due to the outcome so its something i cant comment on too much - i certainly wont say that they had full intention to inest the oney back in, just like i wont say they had no intention of investing the money back in becasue quite frankly, i just dont know. Ill just chose to use the evidence i see and the evidence i dont see i'll state as guesswork.

If there was a genuine intention to replace Milner with either of those players then why was the sale of Milner rushed through (so that he could play for one of our supposed rivals while we were short on numbers) before we were sure they would sign? Milner's replacement is and was always intended to be a 26 year old loanee who noone had heard of because he's only ever played 5 games in Europe. I'm willing to bet none of our brilliant new recruitment team had even seen him play.

But hey, it was a great deal  :thup:

If there was a genuine intention to replace Milner with either of those players then why was the sale of Milner rushed through (so that he could play for one of our supposed rivals while we were short on numbers) before we were sure they would sign? Milner's replacement is and was always intended to be a 26 year old loanee who noone had heard of because he's only ever played 5 games in Europe. I'm willing to bet none of our brilliant new recruitment team had even seen him play.

Just out of interest which of the games we've lost would we have won if Milner had been playing in your opinion?

In which game do you think Milner would've been the difference between winning and losing?

Just picked this up off tribal football but i dont know if this is made up or not .

Keegan return unlikely at Newcastle

* Premiership News

PRINT | EMAIL | COMMENTS (0)

16.10.08 | tribalfootball.com

There is unlikely to be any triumphant return to Newcastle United for Kevin Keegan.

Keith Harris, the man employed by owner Mike Ashley to flog the Toon, reckons none of the interested parties want King Kev in charge.

Harris said: “Nobody has said to us that having Kevin as manager is a condition for them to go forward.

“Whoever the new owner would be, it would be their choice and there’s a wealth of management experience out there. But no one’s said it’s a pre-condition.”

Just picked this up off tribal football but i dont know if this is made up or not .

* Premiership News

There is unlikely to be any triumphant return to Newcastle United for Kevin Keegan.

Keith Harris, the man employed by owner Mike Ashley to flog the Toon, reckons none of the interested parties want King Kev in charge.

Harris said: “Nobody has said to us that having Kevin as manager is a condition for them to go forward.

“Whoever the new owner would be, it would be their choice and there’s a wealth of management experience out there. But no one’s said it’s a pre-condition.”

That is media spin and selective quoting of the Keith Harris interview. It doesn't say Keegan will be back and it doesn't say he won't be. Why should whoever is trying to buy the club mention who they want as manager? Newcastle and Keegan are totally separate. It's not as if Ashley could guarantee Keegan would return. I'd be worried about a buyer who only wanted NUFC if they could get Keegan back.

* Premiership News

Harris said: ?Nobody has said to us that having Kevin as manager is a condition for them to go forward.

?Whoever the new owner would be, it would be their choice and there?s a wealth of management experience out there. But no one?s said it?s a pre-condition.?

That is media spin and selective quoting of the Keith Harris interview. It doesn't say Keegan will be back and it doesn't say he won't be. Why should whoever is trying to buy the club mention who they want as manager? Newcastle and Keegan are totally separate. It's not as if Ashley could guarantee Keegan would return. I'd be worried about a buyer who only wanted NUFC if they could get Keegan back.

Spot on.

* Premiership News

Harris said: ?Nobody has said to us that having Kevin as manager is a condition for them to go forward.

?Whoever the new owner would be, it would be their choice and there?s a wealth of management experience out there. But no one?s said it?s a pre-condition.?

Spot on.

Well lets bookmark this and see what happens ,probably be a load of horse shit until this quote is verified .Imho i think we should start from scratch and not get lost in sentimentality .

Its a good question, and quite frankly i dont know enough to say what happened either way - i can only speculate as you are doing. Difference is i wont state it as fact, Im very confident that Nacho is a central attacking midfielder, so the idea he was a replacement for Milner is rubbish. I will say however that there were strong rumours of Shweinstiger, the full intracacies of the transfer i dont know so i couldnt speculate. Its another thing i'd like to hear about before i make this "Ashley out" judgment.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Can only pray that Keegan doesn't come back when we're taken over. Can anyone honestly see that ending well? Would be one of the only things that would make us into a bigger laughing stock than we've already become.

* Premiership News

Spot on.

Well lets bookmark this and see what happens ,probably be a load of horse shit until this quote is verified .Imho i think we should start from scratch and not get lost in sentimentality .

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4339603,00.html

Harris also revealed that none of the seven interested parties had indicated that they would want Keegan to return as manager if they were to buy the club.

"Nobody has said to us it is a condition for us to go forward and frankly Joe Kinnear has done a pretty good job in a short period of time," noted Harris.

"Whoever the new owner will be, it will be their choice of the management team of running the business off the field and running the business on the field.

"There is a wealth of management talent available but no one has said it is a pre-condition that it is this manager, that manager or any other manager.

Asked what were the chances of Keegan making a return to Newcastle, Harris said: "That is impossible to predict that.

"We haven't even had discussions with the parties that have expressed an interest in buying the business as to who the new manager will be so I can't predict that."

* Premiership News

Spot on.

The quotes are real, they just don't say what the headline or story suggests that's all.  Its typical tabloid crap turning a nothing quote into news by twisting its meaning.

Sounds like  Keith Harris has been letting his mouth go again so i will highlight what i see as the interesting bits as possible clues and admissions .

Newcastle Utd RSS Feed

Foreign buyers facing United battle

8:28am Thursday 16th October 2008

comment Comments (0)   Have your say »

Photograph of the Author By Andy Richardson »

NEWCASTLE United will shortly be under foreign ownership, according to the man appointed by Mike Ashley to sell the club.

But contrary to reports, Kevin Keegan’s reinstatement at St James’ Park has not been made a pre-condition of any potential bid.

Seymour Pierce chairman Keith Harris, who is brokering the sale, is hopeful of securing a buyer by the end of November and all seven of the short-listed bidders are from overseas.

“I think it’s certainly likely the next owner of Newcastle United will come from beyond these shores. Whether it is from the Middle East is another matter, but I think it is a reasonable assumption to say the new owner will not be a Brit,” confirmed Harris who acted as adviser in the sales of Aston Villa to Randy Lerner in 2006 and Manchester City to Thaksin Shinawatra in 2007.

[glow=red,2,300]But reports that the return of Keegan as Newcastle manager was a pre-condition of some bids have been firmly denied by Harris, who said: “Nobody has said to us it is a condition for us to go forward and frankly Joe Kinnear has done a pretty good job in a short period of time.[/glow]

“Whoever the new owner will be, it will be their choice of the management team to run the business off the field and run the business on the field.

“There is a wealth of management talent available but no one has said it is a pre-condition that it is this manager, that manager or any other manager.”

Asked about the possibility of Keegan making a return to the Newcastle hotseat, Harris said: “We haven’t even had discussions with the parties who have expressed an interest in buying the business as to who the new manager will be, so I can’t predict that.

“For seven or eight days we have had seven seriously interested parties and we have taken the chance to start honing down the list.

“So far nobody has dropped out and we have been asking people to begin to sharpen their pencils.

“They are not from these shores. There is a strong international element to them and that is not surprising as clearly wealth has been generated away from these shores more than it has been here.

“The Premiership is a major entertainment and TV content provider throughout the world, increasingly in the United States, and is very well established in South-East Asia, China, India and certainly in the Middle East.

[glow=red,2,300]“I don’t think you would be surprised if the nationality of the new owner were to come from any of those parts of the world.”[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]While Harris admitted he had spoken to parties from South Africa and Nigeria, he confirmed that none had met the essential criteria to be considered serious bidders to buy the club from Ashley.[/glow]

“I think we have to distinguish between interest and serious interest,” he said.