UEFA Cup 08/09

Syrette

Villa v Spurs if they both get through. Tasty!

I'm not sure they will both go through.

The away games will be very tough and both sides, especially Shakhtar, are no joke. The consolation is that it will be out of the Russian & Ukranian regular seasons so the English teams might have a fitness advantage.

• 2 months later...

Nice to see that getting into Europe doesn't hold as much value nowadays for some clubs.

If we put out a weakened team and didn't take Europe seriously (whether we had a final to play in the next few days, or were battling to get in the CL), I would be disgusted.

Don't blame Villa in the long-run tbh. They weren't going to win the competition, and they were serious underdogs even tonight.

If they finish in the top four and get Champions League football, plus that tasty £15m paycheck, then O'Neill's done good.

Don't blame Villa in the long-run tbh. They weren't going to win the competition, and they were serious underdogs even tonight.

If they finish in the top four and get Champions League football, plus that tasty £15m paycheck, then O'Neill's done good.

No, I can see where they are coming from, as a fan I wouldn't be happy though in the short term at least (especially if I was one of the people who'd paid serious money to go to Russia to watch them play). I don't know what makes you so sure they couldn't have won it mind, if he'd taken it seriously. Underdogs for the match, and underdogs for the entire competition? I reckon they could have gone on and gotten themselves pretty far. Maybe not favourites, but their squad is good enough to compete with any of the clubs left in it (and even then a good squad doesn't mean a lot if you don't perform enough on the night - see AC Milan today).

This competition has ALOT of quality teams this year. I mean compare the quality of this one to the year Boro and Sevilla made the final. Anyway, I think the title will either go to Tottenham or Zenit St. Petersburg...I would also look for whoever come third in the Liverpool, Marseille, PSV, Atletico CL group.

l'OM's name on the trophy this season.

I agree but i want to know who the fuck is Barry Bannan?

I agree but i want to know who the fuck is Barry Bannan?

Kid just out of the academy.

Very highly rated. Marc Albrighton did fantastically today too.

Great experience for the two of them

Why weren't Villa going to win it? A lot of the 'big' names have gone out of the competition now and the tie was still in the balance. They deserved more than 1 goal at Villa Park and could have squeeked through tonight if they'd put out a full side.

I'd be well pissed off if Moyes had done the same last season when we were fourth for a long period while getting to the last 16 of the UEFA. I was gutted when Fiorentina beat us on pens and really wanted to win the thing.

I'd be well pissed off if Moyes had done the same last season when we were fourth for a long period while getting to the last 16 of the UEFA. I was gutted when Fiorentina beat us on pens and really wanted to win the thing.

Isn't that the proof of the pudding, though?

You were fourth for a long period and wound up fifth - kind of makes MON's argument, really

Also, nobody seems to be having a go at Spurs for doing similar?

Guest kingdawson

Isn't that the proof of the pudding, though?

You were fourth for a long period and wound up fifth - kind of makes MON's argument, really

Also, nobody seems to be having a go at Spurs for doing similar?

Come off it. The media (who apparantly love us) have continuously had a go at us for doing it (more so the first leg then today). Hell even the prick on your on sky sports said he understands Villa fielding a weakened team but not us :idiot2:.

Guest kingdawson

I'm talking about on here, KD.

Oh ok, my mistake.

You definately made the correct decision resting your players though. Your 1st half performance against Chelsea was pretty abysmal tbh, and some of it was for sure down to all the energy the players used up on wednesday.

Oh ok, my mistake.

You definately made the correct decision resting your players though. Your 1st half performance against Chelsea was pretty abysmal tbh, and some of it was for sure down to all the energy the players used up on wednesday.

Bet the Villa fans on their way back from Russia minus a grand agree entirely.

Guest kingdawson

Oh ok, my mistake.

Don't think they'll give 2 fucks if it means they'll qualify for the champions league.

Oh ok, my mistake.

Don't think they'll give 2 fucks if it means they'll qualify for the champions league.

Says someone who couldn't pick out White Hart Lane on a map. The way both clubs have treated their supporters (you know, the ones who actually pay their money) is disgusting imo.

Disgusting? ???

If they get in the Champions League because of this, they'll have naff all to complain about. From a purely footballing perspective, Villa did the right thing imo. They probably wouldn't have gone through even if they had their strongest side out.

Guest kingdawson

Oh ok, my mistake.

Don't think they'll give 2 f***s if it means they'll qualify for the champions league.

Says someone who couldn't pick out White Hart Lane on a map. The way both clubs have treated their supporters (you know, the ones who actually pay their money) is disgusting imo.

Where did that come from? apart from it being an innacurate statement, i don't quite understand the need for it. I'm guessing you had a bad day at work today.

ahhh i see, the ones who actually pay, what like Brummie (who doesn't seem "disgusted" to me) :rolleyes:.

Oh ok, my mistake.

Don't think they'll give 2 f***s if it means they'll qualify for the champions league.

Where did that come from? apart from it being an innacurate statement, i don't quite understand the need for it. I'm guessing you had a bad day at work today.

ahhh i see, the ones who actually pay, what like Brummie (who doesn't seem "disgusted" to me) :rolleyes:.

Plain and simple fact: you see things like this from a different perspective because you don't get yourself to games. You reckon the Villa fans in Moscow now are buzzing I suppose, having probably spent the money they were going to spend on a holiday.

brummie's entitled to his opinion but there'll be Villa fans on the other side of the coin. If it was us, I'd be fucking raging.

What's the point in qualifying for these competitions if you are not going to try in them?

Are Villa going to field a weakened team in the CL next season to protect their good league position so they might get back in the CL the season after?

What's the point?

What's the point in qualifying for these competitions if you are not going to try in them?

Are Villa going to field a weakened team in the CL next season to protect their good league position so they might get back in the CL the season after?

What's the point?

Exactly. I keep hearing "ah but the UEFA Cup is a devalued competition" - yeah, and this is why.