UEFA Cup 08/09

Syrette

Difficult group for us. Although it could have been much worse.

Hope we get Ajax away.

Isn't it done automatically? I think 1st seed plays 2nd and 4th seeds at home, and the other two away. I'm sure that's what it was when we were last in it.

Guest Julio Geordio

This competition has ALOT of quality teams this year. I mean compare the quality of this one to the year Boro and Sevilla made the final. Anyway, I think the title will either go to Tottenham or Zenit St. Petersburg...I would also look for whoever come third in the Liverpool, Marseille, PSV, Atletico CL group.

Spurs? I hope that's a joke?

Guest king harry

Difficult group for us. Although it could have been much worse.

Hope we get Ajax away.

Hamburg away on the 19th December, as about as good as it gets.

Why do you think its a joke?...because they are bottom after seven games? Stupid way of thinking. The UEFA Cup final is in March.

Aye, but they won't be in it that long though. They've been shit in the league and in the UEFA cup, don't see any reason why anyone would consider them to be favourites.

Guest Phil K

Why do you think its a joke?...because they are bottom after seven games? Stupid way of thinking. The UEFA Cup final is in March.

And will NOT involve the Spuds

What is to say they will continue to be s***? I really do think they are going to get better...as teams do every season. I understand people here hate Spurs, but it is ridiculous to make a judgement on a team's entire season at the beginning of October!

What is ridiculous is to say that they will win it with absolutely nothing to back it up. They haven't got the team to win it, who is going to score those important goals? There isn't a player in the Spurs-squad who I'd be confident in scoring that crucial goal.

Christ man if I was basing my opinion on who had the best squad...I would have picked Milan to win. I do think Spurs will improve quite a bit. They have some very good players, but the club has been in constant chaos the past two seasons. And I don't see why the likes of Roman Pavlyuchenko, Bent, Dos Santos, Bentley, or whichever striker they buy in Jan. (You know they will) can't score an important goal. Last year the winning goal was scored by Igor Denisov, who is inferior to all the players above. Crucial goals for Rangers came from Claude Darcheville (fat midget) and Steven Whittaker. Last year Getafe were about a minute away from the semi finals against Munich despite finishing about three points off relegation at year's end. Yet they almost were in UEFA cup again this year because they also managed to get to Copa del Rey final. Funny that a team that I believe is quite talented, and being led by a man who has won this competition twice has a chance to shock people and win. They are my pick to win. Stop crying about it please. Why don't you select who will win. We can debate the merit of the selections in May.

Aye, but they won't be in it that long though. They've been shit in the league and in the UEFA cup, don't see any reason why anyone would consider them to be favourites.

Spurs irritate me as much as the next man, but I feel duty bound to point this out.

Bookmakers odds do not just reflect who they think will win the competition. They also reflect the desire of the bookmaker to minimise their financial risk.

That's why, every world cup England are 3rd favourites or something at 8/1 or some stupid odds.

It isn't because the bookies think they really are 3rd most likely to win. It is because there are millions of drooling cretins in this country who believe the Fat Frank, Stevie G and JT hype machines, then go spazzing down to Laddies with their 10 quid to have a flutter on us winning it.

The bookies then bring the odds in to manage their risk.

• 1 month later...
Guest The Wise Guy

Great to see Pompey crashing out and I hope to see all the other english teams out as well. Dont blame me for not being patriotic and supportive of our clubs because Im not from England. I only care about one club and that is Newcastle United.

Great to see Pompey crashing out and I hope to see all the other english teams out as well. Dont blame me for not being patriotic and supportive of our clubs because Im not from England. I only care about one club and that is Newcastle United.

....so therefore all other teams must crash and burn?

Righto.

....so therefore all other teams must crash and burn?

Righto.

ultimatly they do........except one.