UEFA Cup 08/09

Syrette

Onyewu looked like a solid and confident defender last night for Standard Liege against Everton.

He does seem to have improved. I know that in his last half dozen or more performances for the American side, he has developed into a rock solid defender. Don't know if that would translate into success if he were to come back to England, but at least for the level he plays at, he's become a mostly consistent and strong defender.

Onyewu looked like a solid and confident defender last night for Standard Liege against Everton.

He does seem to have improved. I know that in his last half dozen or more performances for the American side, he has developed into a rock solid defender. Don't know if that would translate into success if he were to come back to England, but at least for the level he plays at, he's become a mostly consistent and strong defender.

don`t think he was that bad before or he really has improved tbh...... stepping into a team and having to partner the likes of Bramble and/or Taylor in that season as your central defensive partners wouldn`t inspire confidence with anyone. Just hoping Colo  hasn`t had his confidence completely shattered playing alongside Taylor.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

GROUP A: Schalke 04, Paris SG, MANCHESTER CITY, Racing Santander, FC Twente

GROUP B: Benfica, Olympiacos, Galatasaray, Hertha Berlin, Metalist Kharkiv

GROUP C: Sevilla, VfB Stuttgart, Sampdoria, Partizan Belgrade, Standard Liege

GROUP D: TOTTENHAM, Spartak Moscow, Udinese, Dinamo Zagreb, NEC Nijmegen

GROUP E: AC Milan, Heerenveen, SC Braga, PORTSMOUTH, VfL Wolfsburg

GROUP F: Hamburg, Ajax, Slavia Prague, ASTON VILLA, MSK Zilina

GROUP G: Valencia, Club Brugge, Rosenborg, FC Copenhagen, Saint-Etienne

GROUP H: CSKA Moscow, Deportivo La Coruna, Feyenoord, Nancy, Lech Poznan

Portsmouth have the hardest looking at that. Heerenveen just stuffed Ajax 5-2 at the weekend, Milan aren't the same Milan as in the past but still hard opponents, and Wolfsburg won't be easy.

Saying that, I fully expect all the English clubs to go through.

Is Wolfgang Wolfe still manager there?

This competition has ALOT of quality teams this year. I mean compare the quality of this one to the year Boro and Sevilla made the final. Anyway, I think the title will either go to Tottenham or Zenit St. Petersburg...I would also look for whoever come third in the Liverpool, Marseille, PSV, Atletico CL group.

This competition has ALOT of quality teams this year. I mean compare the quality of this one to the year Boro and Sevilla made the final. Anyway, I think the title will either go to Tottenham or Zenit St. Petersburg...I would also look for whoever come third in the Liverpool, Marseille, PSV, Atletico CL group.

PSV and Marseille (who, barring a collapse from the other 2) will be battling it out for 3rd, both look fairly weak. At least comparatively. PSV aren't the team they were, and I wouldn't particularly fear Marseille, who like PSV, have declined slightly in the past 2 or 3 years.

I think I posted something in this thread a few pages back, Ajax were 25s.

Still can see Milan getting to the final, albeit probably undeservedly.

I would personally say Marseille have slightly improved if anything.

Really? I personally don't think they instil much fear into the opposition.

Put it this way, I wouldn't have them down as one of the front-runners for the competition if they get 3rd place. Not to say they can't be a useful side though, just can't see them seriously challenging past the quarters.

Guest Heneage

PSV and Marseille (who, barring a collapse from the other 2) will be battling it out for 3rd, both look fairly weak. At least comparatively. PSV aren't the team they were, and I wouldn't particularly fear Marseille, who like PSV, have declined slightly in the past 2 or 3 years.

I think I posted something in this thread a few pages back, Ajax were 25s.

Still can see Milan getting to the final, albeit probably undeservedly.

PSV are shocking, the sooner Afellay and Salcido leave the better for them as they will only go stale in that side.

Guest Phil K

Am I justified in wishing the same lack of success on the clubs involved that their supporters no doubt wished upon us when we were in this position ?

Marseille are much stronger than PSV. The squad they have is very talented, and in my opinion has improved even with the losses of Nasri and Ribery. There is alot of fire power with Mamadou Niang, Baky Kone, Ziani, Ben Arfa, and of course thunderbolt Taiwo. Also they have Cheyrou and Cana who are solid and in Mandanda they have a career who can produce the spectacular (And occasionally the ridiculous). Also they are undefeated in Ligue 1 this season. Forgive me if I am overhyping them...but they are kind of my second team. I watch them every week, and they have certainly have more talent and a greater team spirit this year under Eric Gerets. (And they also have Tyrone Mears :).

I think AC Milan will face the same fate as Munich last year. Their team of global stars will run into a talented and much hungrier side that is looking for its first piece of glory. Milan will not be up to the task.