Would you take 17th place right now ?

afar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What a dumb question. No, I won't take 17th place. There is still 33 games to play, 99 points to be won. This kind of defeatist attitude shouldn't be accepted. We will fight, and with the quality that's prevalent in the squad (which is a fact!!), we can still challenge for a top 8 place.

Why is it dumb, if you were old enough to remember the dark days of the last time we were relegated, you'll recognise a lot of the signs are there, a club that has absolutely no stability from top to bottom is a club in serious danager. You're right it's very early days, and perhaps that's one thing in our favour but at this moment in time I'd take the bird in the hand over the ones that may be in the bush.

I could name 4 or 5 teams who would glady take 17th spot right now and they are far more stable than ourselves at the moment.

exactly.

The naivety never ceases to amaze me.

And reviewing the situation that we are in correctly, has absolutely nothing to do with "not supporting the club".

Even if Keegan was here, he's been let down and only had a very small squad, while the club made a profit in the transfer window.

Now that its in disarray, directionless, and with unhappy players [however much a captains role Owen played last week], is in serious danger. This is the bleakest outlook that we have had for many years.

Still, the profit in the transfer window should please the likes of macbeth, even if we are relegated, I'm sure he will insist its all been worth it and we are thriving. Or something.

What a dumb question. No, I won't take 17th place. There is still 33 games to play, 99 points to be won. This kind of defeatist attitude shouldn't be accepted. We will fight, and with the quality that's prevalent in the squad (which is a fact!!), we can still challenge for a top 8 place.

Why is it dumb, if you were old enough to remember the dark days of the last time we were relegated, you'll recognise a lot of the signs are there, a club that has absolutely no stability from top to bottom is a club in serious danager. You're right it's very early days, and perhaps that's one thing in our favour but at this moment in time I'd take the bird in the hand over the ones that may be in the bush.

I could name 4 or 5 teams who would glady take 17th spot right now and they are far more stable than ourselves at the moment.

exactly.

And reviewing the situation that we are in correctly, has absolutely nothing to do with "not supporting the club".

Even if Keegan was here, he's been let down and only had a very small squad, while the club made a profit in the transfer window.

Now that its in disarray, directionless, and with unhappy players [however much a captains role Owen played last week], is in serious danger. This is the bleakest outlook that we have had for many years.

Still, the profit in the transfer window should please the likes of macbeth, even if we are relegated, I'm sure he will insist its all been worth it and we are thriving. Or something.

You have a habit of ruining relatively decent posts with pointless paragraphs like the last one above.

exactly.

You have a habit of ruining relatively decent posts with pointless paragraphs like the last one above.

Yep, well - put it this way. I don't think its pointless, and many people have made references to me on occasions ?

The difference being, it should be becoming more obvious how success in football is gained in the real world, and not in the idealistic one that he and others inhabit.

You don't find it a bit peculiar how he has re-appeared after all this time showing us his piecharts and graphs again ?

We can get top half still, a lot depends on injuries, we need the likes of Jonas, Owen, Oba fit every week to do it. But our first 11 is easily top 10 standard, especially if Gonzalez turns out to be a player.

I don't think anyone doubts that we have the qulaity of players to not even contemplate a relegation battle problem is at the moment they have no direction and the coaches have no direction from above them.

To be honest I do think we are indeed "too good to go down" but are at this moment in time in serious danger that we could go down. If that makes any sense ??

Our first 11 is good enough for the top 10, we just need to get a manager that doesn't have a reputation of walking out on clubs in a huff.

Or your DOF to overrule him.

Is that the DOF who's signings blew your socks off?

We went into the hull game with 4 points from 3 games despite facing games away to both manure and arsenal. Pre-season wasn't great but that was more about fitness than anything else. The team was gelling nicely and the tactics were beginning to work.

A bad result against hull and its soon the end of the world! Fair enough there has been trouble with the people who run the club/team, but we need to pick the team up and come away from west ham with at least a point - something not out of our hands. The same players are still there and the toon army will still be there, so apart from the managment, what else do we need?

Another good performance and a bit of luck, we can go into the next game feeling great about the start to the season. Its still early doors for the season and things off the field will improve . . . . . . eventually. The doom and gloom merchants will soon get bored and piss off but to count the season off just 4 games in is quite honestly a joke! FFS grow some testicles!!!

exactly.

Yep, well - put it this way. I don't think its pointless, and many people have made references to me on occasions ?

The difference being, it should be becoming more obvious how success in football is gained in the real world, and not in the idealistic one that he and others inhabit.

You don't find it a bit peculiar how he has re-appeared after all this time showing us his piecharts and graphs again ?

I don't think there's an agenda to what he is posting if that's what you're getting at, no. No idea what he has been doing with his time recently, it's not really my - or yours - place to inquire.

It's not as if he's not criticised Ashley as well.

Guest Howaythetoon

Newcastle fans want to drive the owner away, complain when he tries to sell quickly, turn their nose up at any manager who would even contemplate coming to a situation where his job is decided by them, and still expect us to finish in the top half.

It's amazing really. Only at Newcastle.

Only in your own head you mean.

We can get top half still, a lot depends on injuries, we need the likes of Jonas, Owen, Oba fit every week to do it. But our first 11 is easily top 10 standard, especially if Gonzalez turns out to be a player.

I don't think anyone doubts that we have the qulaity of players to not even contemplate a relegation battle problem is at the moment they have no direction and the coaches have no direction from above them.

To be honest I do think we are indeed "too good to go down" but are at this moment in time in serious danger that we could go down. If that makes any sense ??

The club just needs to settle down, if Ashley hasn't had any luck in selling the club in Dubai then I hope he comes back and gets on with things until someone comes along, get a manager appointed and for the fans to stop protesting as none of it is helping.

Our first 11 is good enough for the top 10, we just need to get a manager that doesn't have a reputation of walking out on clubs in a huff.

Sadly, it takes more than 2 players. Especially when you need at least 5, and he makes his manager sell to buy any more. Some big club that is, more like Bristol City and Bristol Rovers.

A smart lad like you doesn't usually ignore an overriding principle ie Keegan walked for not being allowed to manage the club in the way he should by a bunch of amateurs. Shame your infatuation with a DOF gets in the way of your judgement.. Hope your pleased, unless of course you don't take the huff with people for disagreeing with you again.

The club just needs to settle down, if Ashley hasn't had any luck in selling the club in Dubai then I hope he comes back and gets on with things until someone comes along, get a manager appointed and for the fans to stop protesting as none of it is helping.

2nd that!!!

Guest Howaythetoon
if Ashley hasn't had any luck in selling the club in Dubai then I hope he comes back and gets on with things until someone comes along, get a manager appointed

That's what he should have been doing from the moment he released his statement instead of fucking off to whore the club around and making a tit of himself. That would be too sensible though and the obvious thing to do. Just like flying back home to attend to things when KK walked instead of partying in New York and leaving it a week to talk to him.

Sadly, it takes more than 2 players. Especially when you need at least 5, and he makes his manager sell to buy any more. Some big club that is, more like Bristol City and Bristol Rovers.

A smart lad like you doesn't usually ignore an overriding principle ie Keegan walked for not being allowed to manage the club in the way he should by a bunch of amateurs. Shame your infatuation with a DOF gets in the way of your judgement.. Hope your pleased, unless of course you don't take the huff with people for disagreeing with you again.

Know one knows for certain what did and didnt occur.  All we know is that we got a good bunch of players in during the summer, signings I believe have been better signings than recent years.

*No

No doubt we are better than that, but there are too many things wrong at the club right now to think anything more than survival should be the target. We are in a huge mess, I don't think the majority of fans fully appreciate how bad the situation currently is. The worst part is that there's not much light visible at the end of the tunnel.

I went to investigate the light at the end of the tunnel, more bad news I'm afraid - it was only Ashley with a torch.

exactly.

I don't think there's an agenda to what he is posting if that's what you're getting at, no. No idea what he has been doing with his time recently, it's not really my - or yours - place to inquire.

It's not as if he's not criticised Ashley as well.

I'm not enquiring, I'm not bothered. I just think its odd how he has came back after all this time, and not really quite understanding the fact that he keeps telling us all these clubs that win the trophies are all being run badly, by his criteria, because they have operating debts, stadium debts, or whatever.

I'm convinced he thinks getting relegated is preferable to going into some debt by trying to avoid it, or trying to be successful, because he has just never directly answered this question, ever since we signed Owen.

If only Ashley had backed Keegan in a similar way, instead of them selling Milner to bring in a striker the manager never wanted in the first place.

Not at all, I'm happy with the set up but it just wouldn't work with someone like Keegan, that much was obvious.

Would Keegan have done better if he was in charge of transfers? I don't think he would of, No Jonas or Xisco, Milner would have stayed and he'd of signed Anton Ferdinand instead of Coloccini, at least he would have got a left back so it wouldn't all be bad.

Out of interest, what transfers windows since Dalglish joined do you think we've brought in a better group of players than we have in this one?

No doubt we are better than that, but there are too many things wrong at the club right now to think anything more than survival should be the target. We are in a huge mess, I don't think the majority of fans fully appreciate how bad the situation currently is. The worst part is that there's not much light visible at the end of the tunnel.

I went to investigate the light at the end of the tunnel, more bad news I'm afraid - it was only Ashley with a torch.

;D

And we wouldnt be in half as much mess if a majority of fans didnt spit their dummies out and make a bad mess a monumental mess. Things could/may have been sorted out

Know one knows for certain what did and didnt occur.  All we know is that we got a good bunch of players in during the summer, signings I believe have been better signings than recent years.

*No

Well, what a shame the manager wasn't so happy with them.