Would you take 17th place right now ?

afar
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Considering that it matters very little exactly where we're finishing when we're finishing 10th~17th, I'd take it.

We're obviously not getting into the UEFA cup this year, so I'd take any way of avoiding relegation, which is the only significant result possible this season.

Thats basically how I feel. We've got nothing of worth to actually compete for, other than mid-table mediocrity at best, so 17th/12th doesn't really matter and the first garuntees we would stay up.

Fuckin hell its 4 games in. All it would take at this stage is a 3 game win streak and you'd be up there. We've seen from our first couple of games that we can play so its not beyond the realms of possibility that we can have a respectable season.

My opinion will of course be harder to justify the longer this situation drags out.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but we had a "manager" in charge of us back then, someone capable of getting the best out of our players. Since then events have taken over.

The signs for Saturday are not good tbh, Zola's first game in charge, injury striken, morale low, I think things will certainly get a lot worse before they get better, hopefully they get better soon enough to avoid disaster.

Newcastle fans want to drive the owner away, complain when he tries to sell quickly, turn their nose up at any manager who would even contemplate coming to a situation where his job is decided by them, and still expect us to finish in the top half.

It's amazing really. Only at Newcastle.

What a dumb question. No, I won't take 17th place. There is still 33 games to play, 99 points to be won. This kind of defeatist attitude shouldn't be accepted. We will fight, and with the quality that's prevalent in the squad (which is a fact!!), we can still challenge for a top 8 place.

Why is it dumb, if you were old enough to remember the dark days of the last time we were relegated, you'll recognise a lot of the signs are there, a club that has absolutely no stability from top to bottom is a club in serious danager. You're right it's very early days, and perhaps that's one thing in our favour but at this moment in time I'd take the bird in the hand over the ones that may be in the bush.

I could name 4 or 5 teams who would glady take 17th spot right now and they are far more stable than ourselves at the moment.

Newcastle fans want to drive the owner away, complain when he tries to sell quickly, turn their nose up at any manager who would even contemplate coming to a situation where his job is decided by them, and still expect us to finish in the top half.

What are your expectations right now for the season gol ?

I think we'll hover just above the relegation places. I'd prefer Ashley to stay, and carry on with his plans for the club. In my opinion his one mistake was putting the wrong man in in the first place, but I said as much at the time.

FK that, Owen doesn't want us said who? that performance against Hull was not from a man wanting to leave.

No buying its not even been a week yet.

:lol:

Next time he's injured you'll be saying the opposite again.

Never slated him for being injured, he don't do it on purpose, yes its frustrating but not his fault. I have been pissed at him for looking totally uninterested during games before, and its those games where he looked like he wanted away, the Hull match may not have been his best performance for us production wise but passion wise it was by a mile.

I think we'll hover just above the relegation places. I'd prefer Ashley to stay, and carry on with his plans for the club. In my opinion his one mistake was putting the wrong man in in the first place, but I said as much at the time.

Hasn't he made his position untenable though, with that statement, how's he going to get a manager to work for him, right now ?

Hasn't he made his position untenable though, with that statement, how's he going to get a manager to work for him, right now ?

Yep, he has now. But in the same way, the fans demonstrating have devalued the club, to both buyers and managers. I really can't see how we get out of this one.

Yep, he has now. But in the same way, the fans demonstrating have devalued the club, to both buyers and managers. I really can't see how we get out of this one.

Unfortunately neither can I, but I'm a miserable old pessimistic bastard, what's your excuse ?

Unfortunately neither can I, but I'm a miserable old pessimistic bastard, what's your excuse ?

I'm a miserable old pessimistic bastard ;)

Guest optimistic nit

FK that, Owen doesn't want us said who? that performance against Hull was not from a man wanting to leave.

if you read the post properly it says the owNER doesn't want us.

if you read the post properly it says the owNER doesn't want us.

LOL, I didn't even notice he'd mis read it, I just thought he was going off on a targent about Owen :)

I think people should bear in mind that the injured players when they come back will make us look a lot better than we do right now. The only thing which seriously pisses me off is that I was looking forward to a decent-ish season and it's got completely de-railed by what's gone on.

I'm not saying we're too good to go down, but bearing in mind Mike Ashley's already invested the thick end of £230million, he either has buyers in mind, or he's trying to prove a point to us and say look - no one wants to buy the club so it's his way or the high way. Either way he has to protect his investment, and as a championship club we wouldn't be worth 10% of what he has currently paid. I'm sure we'll be fine!

Guest Darth Toon

Well Rob Lee thinks we're in deep shit.....

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1780_4163377,00.html

"Until it gets sorted out - and I can't see that happening soon - then Newcastle are going to be in real trouble.

"If they are not careful then they could end up being involved in a relegation fight, which would be disastrous for them."

Guest justin99.

as bad as the hull performance was, it was still alot better than some games under allardyce

I think Newcastle will comfortably finish mid-table regardless of who the owner is