Newcastle United V Charlton Athletic - Post Match Thoughts.

BlufPurdi

Guest The Fox

Sensible Report NSG.

How some of these other idiots can say great football and we were unlucky not to win 3 or 4 nil, is laughable. But then we have our fair share of crackpots on here, like everywhere I suppose.

Guest SeattleToon

I watched the game on TV and posted my comments above...thought we played well and dominated the first 60 minutes...only complaint that Roeder did not respond to Charlton's removal of a striker by taking off a defender.

Our problem is really the quality of our last balls. Even though we dominated possession, we rarely created clear cut scoring chances out of all this posession. My biggest disappointment was with our corner kicks....had about ten and didn't get a single shot on goal out of them. Generally speaking, the quality of our crossing is very poor, and when teams put eight men behind the ball like Charlton did, all the possession in the world isn't going to do you any good if your last ball is not quality.

Watched the end of the first half and the whole of the second. The first half we looked good, but you got the feeling that if we didn't score then we wouldn't at all, which was right. THe second half was messy and we lost all our rythmn and didn't look like we were going to score, although I wasn't too worried about CHarlton scoring, because they were shite.

We seem to start well, but not be able to score and then fade to nothing in the second half, against a better team , we'd have lost it in the the closing stages, as per usual.

May I also add if the next 28 games get us the same points per game ratio, we'd be relegated, and by a horrendous margin, too ?

Leave it any later fat b@stard, and it'll be too late to repair the damage Glenn has done.

Guest DONTOONER

ClearlY is the Coaching staff thats need to be sack....

The substitutions made were way too late.

The team had no idea what to do after charlton started the second half pressing more.

Reoder does not have the ability to change the game in anyway.

The players were strolling along the park. Parker play like he had tons of weights to his legs.Cant he dribble or something....why must he be so scare to run at players ?? He is playing too bloodly safe! I like the fact that he could twist and turn and hold the ball well but he is a mid fielder.. DO SOMETHING ...He tends to pass the ball and stop moving I have no idea Why he is allowed to do that. ( Butt : Never expected too much from him anyway)

Charlton played like a pub team in the first half....but still we couldnt score...if we cant capitalise over the opposition when they are out of form i wonder where are we ending up this season. As shocking as i was see our lack lusture performance but with a change of a very average manager for charlton....they look worst then a pub team..

IMHO The Manager is the brain of the football team No matter how talented the group players we have ,No matter how fantastic thier technique and the pace is...however when they have no idea where thier teamates are or get no support from them or have no idea how to make a break through in offense...we will always stay a mid table team. I remember the days when i complained about  Bobby for his tactics....But now we dont even have one.

Sensible Report NSG.

How some of these other idiots can say great football and we were unlucky not to win 3 or 4 nil, is laughable. But then we have our fair share of crackpots on here, like everywhere I suppose.

They tend to be the ones saying "Give Glenn more time !" "Judge Glenn when we're down a division with Sunderland !" "Knee jerk reaction" (How can you have knee jerk reactions after 10 games for frigs sake ?)

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand all this high crossing of the ball to our midget strikers. Also has Harper forgotten how to catch a ball?

Nearly as infuriating as Duff being unable to stay onside

Eugh the number of times Carr got into a good position and I thought "just slide it across" only to watch him balloon it over everyone was incredibly frustrating.

Why the fcuk was Luque not given a run out. The guy knows where the net is and that is what we need. Roeder is becoming very Souness like, i.e sitting in the dugout all the time now, won't play Luque, ala Robert.

The main observation was Rossi, balls hit to him with tremendous pace and they seem to stick to him. With Ameobi they rebound back to the goalkeeper. Is this because Rossi is technically better than Ameobi or is it just lady luck.

To sum up, we were total shite against a side awaiting relegation

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand all this high crossing of the ball to our midget strikers. Also has Harper forgotten how to catch a ball?

Eugh the number of times Carr got into a good position and I thought "just slide it across" only to watch him balloon it over everyone was incredibly frustrating.

It would be laughable if we weren't in the position we are.

Guest ToonFanNorway

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand all this high crossing of the ball to our midget strikers. http://shepherdout1.proboards91.com/index.cgi?

"Also has Harper forgotten how to catch a ball?"

Pav is back at the Toon remember !!!

With Martins or dare I say it Shola on the field I reckon we would have snatched this.

I though Carr put in a decent performance again, Duff would be fucking dangerous if he could shoot with his right!

Bramble was good apart from THAT mistake which im still trying to work out what the hell he was trying to do! Would have been a hell of a lot easier and safer just to stay on his feet! I swear they accidentally put a mistake bonus in his contract!

It would be laughable if we weren't in the position we are.

Oh no doubt I'd be laughing if another team more or less of our stature was in our position.

Guest DONTOONER

Thought we played well and dominated the first 60 minutes. With a bit more luck and a few good bounces, could've been up 2-0. Also, the penalty that Duff earned but that was not given didn't help either.

My only quibble is that when Charlton switched formations by taking off Marcus Bent and bringing on Hughes, Roeder did not respond in kind by bringing off a central defender and bringing on Luque or Milner. There was no real reason to keep playing with four defenders once Charlton had only one striker on the pitch.

Only played well because in the 1st half charlton didnt press the mid fielders and when they did ...we use route 1 football most of the time.

Charlton Tbh has Much less talented players then us....and a inadept manager too...If it was bad luck that we couldnt score in the 1st half i wouldnt be worried....but it was a case that we were not sharp enough to bury them

Harper - 6: solid

Carr - 7: very good game by his standards, getting forward really well and making a last-ditch tackle in the first half. would've got higher mark but for a few sloppy moments in the first-half, wasting chances or giving it away.

Bramble - 6: arguably man of the match if it wasn't for that diabolical error at the end. typical bramble.  :roll:

Moore - 6: decent, remember him giving away a chance at one point tho...

Babayaro - 7: probably best player in the defence. had one dodgy slice but played well otherwise.

Solano - 6: very classy first-half performance and definitely our playmaker. probably the only player in our squad who can do something different when it comes to passing. faded as the game wore on and rightly subbed.

Parker - 6: started like a man possessed and had 3 good shots on goal. also made a number of timely interceptions 1st half. again he faded, pretty badly tbh, think he picked up a knock or something.

Butt - 5: fairly anonymous. that can be a good thing for a defensive midfielder but he could've pushed up a bit more. wasn't much help when charlton counter-attacked.

N'Zogbia - 6: bright in fits and bursts, nice little run and shot late on, but really disappointing in terms of creating chances for others.

DUff- 7.5: best player on the pitch. totally ran charlton ragged with his free-role and mustve created close to 10 chances. very promising and he should be played in this role again.

Rossi - 5: don't want to be too harsh, as he looked busy in the first half and tried to put himself about. missed what was basically an open goal in the first half. very, very poor touch and finishing all through the match from the lad. got eased off the ball too many times or took too long. contributed to build up play but we needed someone in the box and at one point in the 2nd half he was playing alongside bramble and moore. game passed him by but tbf he's not had a lot of football. should've been subbed.