Is this the worst time you have had being a supporter of NUFC?

kane2005

Interesting point from merlin on the changed face of top-flight football in this country, and a question to the other older posters who have seen much more relegation and the like than me; do you feel relegation then meant what it means now?

I don't think that it's the same. Before the really big money came into the Premier League, it was possible for teams to go up and down, there was always hope as most were competing on a similar financial footing. Look at us in 1993-94, nobody will EVER be promoted into the Premier League again and finish 3rd in their first year. It just won't happen.

The worry is that where there was hope before of recovering, if we f*** up this time we may never be back.

I'm not saying I'm definitely right here btw, just wondering what people's thoughts are.

It is a good point, not one I'd really thought of before posting previously.

I think when we went down before, it wasn't that difficult to come back up. These days, if you don't get back in your first season, bearing in mind you still get the TV money, you have to restructure the whole club due to the financial implications of spending a sustained amount of time down there.

It would put us back years if we go down and won't be any near the same club again, unless a major investor comes along.

Comparing it to the 1992 relegation possibility, I would say that could have been worse, if the club spent any significant amount of time down there, then I still think that would have absolutely devasted us as a club and possibly worse as SJH would likely have washed his hands of us.

I dont think the feeling I had when we got beat off Sunderland 2-1 with Shearer being on the bench , and us having a long haired t*** in charge comes anywhere near the way I feel now.

I dont think losing in the FA Cup Final 2 years in a row , I had such a feeling I have now.

Was it ever this bad under , Gullit , Daglish , Roeder , Allerdyce ?

I think the Dalglish era was worse. How can you be so poor that you turn a title contending side into a relegation fighting one? We've never properly recovered from it either.

Nah the Souness era was worse. It didn't feel like it would ever end.

He shouldn't have been here in the first place and he kept the job for longer than he deserved to, to the point where I figured Shepherd must have been content with what he was doing, oblivious to his quite horrendous failings, and saw no reason to sack him. I expected us to lose every match, and whilst I do now too, I know what is happening to the club at the moment is just an extraordinary temporary situation.

What made it worse was that he had money to spend (and a lot of it, whether he or any manager should have that much at that time I don't know - imagine if Keegan had been given that much this Summer) and came in after Sir Bobby had left us with a decent, successful, young squad. He had the materials to take us places yet somehow managed to take us on a downward spiral we only really started to recover from when KK came back.

I remember the thread on here the day he was sacked, honestly don't think I've ever seen this place so joyous.

In fact, here it is. Surprisingly only eight pages. http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=13949.0

This is the worst, simply because of how fast I've gone from really upbeat and positive about our future to what I feel now.

Less than a month ago I was buzzing about things. We had a good manager who was looking to play good, positive football, a manager that we as fans could really identify with and believe in. A chairman who was trying to take the club in the right direction in what I believe was a very positive manner. And a scouting system that was finding good players like Jonas to come in and improve the team.

Then, in the space of about a week we were managerless and our owner was being hounded out by our own fans. And why?

All because a few men couldn't find the maturity to try and work together, preferring to go behind each others backs and squabble in an attempt to get as much power for themselves as possible, rather than trying to work as a team. And then a chairman who didn't have the decency to come back and try and actually sort out these petty cunts until it was much too late.

Keegan, Wise, Jimenez, Ashley, Llambias and every single person in power at the club have all fucked us over here, can't wait until the club is sold and out of the hands of the current lot.

I also hope we don't bring back Keegan, not been one bit impressed by him throughout this whole ordeal.

This is the worst, simply because of how fast I've gone from really upbeat and positive about our future to what I feel now.

Less than a month ago I was buzzing about things. We had a good manager who was looking to play good, positive football, a manager that we as fans could really identify with and believe in. A chairman who was trying to take the club in the right direction in what I believe was a very positive manner. And a scouting system that was finding good players like Jonas to come in and improve the team.

Then, in the space of about a week we were managerless and our owner was being hounded out by our own fans. And why?

All because a few men couldn't find the maturity to try and work together, preferring to go behind each others backs and squabble in an attempt to get as much power for themselves as possible, rather than trying to work as a team. And then a chairman who didn't have the decency to come back and try and actually sort out these petty cunts until it was much too late.

Keegan, Wise, Jimenez, Ashley, Llambias and every single person in power at the club have all fucked us over here, can't wait until the club is sold and out of the hands of the current lot.

I also hope we don't bring back Keegan, not been one bit impressed by him throughout this whole ordeal.

Fucking bang on. :nods:

Apart from Ashley being the chairman. ;)

Nuts to you Dave, nuts to you.

The worst thing is that it's completely hammered my general level of interest in football. I've checked our results and that's about it since the whole thing happened. I found out on Tuesday morning that Man U and Chelsea had drawn 1-1, normally a game I'd have gone out of my way to watch live. And I spent all day Sunday watching TV, just not arsed about football outside NUFC at the minute.

This IS the worst time of all - I saw relegation in 77 after a couple of good years, relegation in 89, fear of Div 3 in 92, but through all that, we had hope of renewal and something better coming along ; this is NOT the case today because football has changed so much in the last 10 years(esp the last 5)that relegation would probably mean never again being the club we were in the mid-90s...

Mega-rich clubs like Man C, Man U , Chelsea etc will monopolize all the top players, and I even think there could be a break-away Euro League in  a few years, leaving the rest of the Prem adrift in the same way as the Championship is today.

What also makes this situation even worse is that it looked as if, at long last, we had started to recover from the drift and were going to make progress with Ashley & KK, only to have the whole thing collapse through lack of good management and inefficiency.

If we go down this season, we will end up like Wolves - a former 'big' club who have a nice stadium which they only fill every time a Prem club arrives in the FA Cup.

These are terrible times for a once-great football club.

Agreed. On the pitch, I've seen us in far worse states. The 1988/89 season was grim beyond belief, the play-off final was a nightmare, the season after that was pretty bad (I got nicked away at Hull) and I've never felt more worried than watching us lose 3-0 at Barnsley (it could have been 15-0) under Ossie. But there was still a magic about matchdays back then that made it all so worthwhile.

This IS the worst time of all - I saw relegation in 77 after a couple of good years, relegation in 89, fear of Div 3 in 92, but through all that, we had hope of renewal and something better coming along ; this is NOT the case today because football has changed so much in the last 10 years(esp the last 5)that relegation would probably mean never again being the club we were in the mid-90s...

Mega-rich clubs like Man C, Man U , Chelsea etc will monopolize all the top players, and I even think there could be a break-away Euro League in  a few years, leaving the rest of the Prem adrift in the same way as the Championship is today.

What also makes this situation even worse is that it looked as if, at long last, we had started to recover from the drift and were going to make progress with Ashley & KK, only to have the whole thing collapse through lack of good management and inefficiency.

If we go down this season, we will end up like Wolves - a former 'big' club who have a nice stadium which they only fill every time a Prem club arrives in the FA Cup.

These are terrible times for a once-great football club.

Agreed. On the pitch, I've seen us in far worse states. The 1988/89 season was grim beyond belief, the play-off final was a nightmare, the season after that was pretty bad (I got nicked away at Hull) and I've never felt more worried than watching us lose 3-0 at Barnsley (it could have been 15-0) under Ossie. But there was still a magic about matchdays back then that made it all so worthwhile.

I haven't been going for very long, but as an active supporter, i think this possibly is the worst time because home match days are quiet  and dismal.

Not the worst I have felt. As the season has a long way to go and a lot can happen.

I think back in 77-78 season when we just seem to loose game after game.

I think we lost ten out of the first eleven in the league.

So it not the worst I felt but it getting that way.

It's not the worst and I don't agree relegation being any worse now than in the past just because of the money in the game.  The top clubs have loads of cash but they aren't in the second division or whatever it's called these days so have no direct input into other divisions.

Yeah, this is the worst i've felt. My support has never wained before, but my whole interest in football has generally turned down a notch. My apathy about Newcastle is quite surreal, and upsetting on the face of it, but stuff like what's happening over at City - it's killing football, money is eating away at it.

Very disillusioned altogether tbh.

Yeah, this is the worst i've felt. My support has never wained before, but my whole interest in football has generally turned down a notch. My apathy about Newcastle is quite surreal, and upsetting on the face of it, but stuff like what's happening over at City - it's killing football, money is eating away at it.

Very disillusioned altogether tbh.

yep

Guest firetotheworks

Been a fan since 92, and since then no. The Dalglish dismantling the Keegan team, particularly Ferdinand and Ginola was hard to take, but this pisses all over that.

0-2 at home to the mackems in the 1990 play-offs shits all over this for sheer misery.

There's time yet though, it's going to get worse before it gets better....

I was there that night as the Goblin and Gabbiadini did us in. Nasty memories but I actually think this is worse. We've fallen so far whereas last time we were nowhere near as big as we are now. Though I fear we won't be in the Premiership from much longer the way things are going.

Bang on.

In my early days, pre-KK being here as a player, we went through some dark times, losing to unfashionable clubs regularly, in front of relatively poor crowds. Back then we were used to struggling, where as now we've experienced the champions league, cup finals etc so we expect better.

This is certainly one of the worst times. It's been 3 weeks of constant doom and gloom, while the rest of the country mock, or try anyway.

It's been one kick in the stones after another.