Keegan Shearer partnership once club is sold?

Guest hindu times

Would work fine.

Keegan will boss the first team with Al assisting then depending on when KK bottles it next or shearer stabs him in the back the apprentice will take over.

At least this will pacify the anti geordie types and mongs amoungst us and to be fair I cant see anyone better than those to being interested in us anyway.

Would work fine.

Keegan will boss the first team with Al assisting then depending on when KK bottles it next or shearer stabs him in the back the apprentice will take over.

At least this will pacify the anti geordie types and mongs amoungst us and to be fair I cant see anyone better than those to being interested in us anyway.

Not sure why Shearer would work under him now we he had no interest in doing so in January.

I got the impression that Kinnear was simply saying that he realised he wasn't going to be received well and that the fans still only had KK & Shearer in mind. Didn't seem to me that he made any suggestion that they'd both come on board with a new owner but he did expect KK to be involved.

Thinking about this, there are three possibilities about the current situation:

Kinnear is just as in the dark as we are about the new ownership and their plans, and made a bit of a mess of his interview.

Mike Ashley's ego is too big to let KK come back even though the prospective new owners want him.

Keegan's ego is too big to work for Ashley for 6-8 more weeks.

Guest Howaythetoon

He was told to say it to take the heat off tomorrow and his appointment, more protests and another angry atmosphere could make it harder to sell the club in the time needed to.

I don't see why Shearer would want to assist under Keegan.  His own chances to take over and reputation would be a hostage to Keegan's decisions and ultimate success.  And I don't think Keegan would go for it either.  Shearer would be an insurance policy, that has to be clear.  If Keegan isn't successful, or if he walks out again, you can call on Shearer to take over and keep the fans from protesting.  Keegan must have known when he delivered his ultimatum to Ashley that most fans would side with him and not Wise & Ashley....he loses that certainty when Shearer is affiliated with the club.  I can't see Keegan accepting that. 

It is fairly clear that Shearer wants the top job at some point and may have a fair chance of getting it straight away.  It is also fairly clear that he doesn't want to clean up someone else's mess or "prove himself" at some 3rd division club.  Is it arrogant to pick and choose?  Maybe.  But as one of the greatest players of his generation with his coaching badges I think he has worked himself into a good position.  He can afford to be careful in his next move.  And based on the chances afforded to the likes of Klinsmann, Coleman, Southgate, Keane and Keegan himself back in 92 there is a fairly compelling argument to just go ahead and let him have his chance.  Why should Shearer have to risk his career in management on some lower league club when many of his peers haven't had to?  Why does he have to earn a reptuation as a good manager with a club with smaller resources when many of his peers have been given bigger, better chances based on their reputations as players.  The sense of entitlement might seem annoying, but if you were in his position then you would probably play your cards the same way. 

hi to you all i might be wrong but im worried its a smoke screen. i think jk was told to say what us fans want to hear to make it easier for him to take over. im not very trusting i still think we are no closer to getting new owner and kk + big al dont know owt about it either :(

Guest LucaAltieri

I doubt its a Mike Ashley smoke screen... the Nigerians have been saying all along that they want to bring Keegan back. If it doesn't pan out and Keegan doesn't want the job again then you have to believe that Shearer is on their list somewhere near the top.

I doubt its a Mike Ashley smoke screen... the Nigerians have been saying all along that they want to bring Keegan back. If it doesn't pan out and Keegan doesn't want the job again then you have to believe that Shearer is on their list somewhere near the top.

im just very worried i love this club and it pains me to see it like this :(

My mate (liverpool fan) said that it must be FUN to support NUFC what all that dramas. We really are a laughing stock, eh? (Altough I think I'd gladly have KK back  :blush:, we really need two move on from those two)

On the plus side, with new owners, KK and all, Owen might actually stay.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think Shearer will shock a few people. There's something about Shearer that makes him stand out as being different. As a player there were many more talented a striker in terms of skill but to play like he did in his style and with the weight of expectation and burden that fell on his shoulders due to his pedigree, name and those price tags and of course the position he took up on the pitch, you have to be strong as fuck mentally to stay right at the top for as long as he did. Several people have now said they've never met anyone so driven, so focused. That type of attitude in management can be a wrecking ball but alternatively it can be a force to be reckoned with. He's also very calculating and selfish which again can be major strengths to a manager. People say he'll be more Souness than say Keegan. I think he'll be different to both, much different. Beardsley was asked in a talk-in what he was like in the dressing room and Beardsley joked he dare not say with a long pause hinting that Shearer commands great respect and fear. He eventually revealed he was a git due to his pranks, but a personality that everyone liked, effectively he was a bit of everything. Destined to do well in whatever he chose was the general opinion though. Apparently a lazy trainer mind :lol:

I think Shearer will shock a few people. There's something about Shearer that makes him stand out as being different. As a player there were many more talented a striker in terms of skill but to play like he did in his style and with the weight of expectation and burden that fell on his shoulders due to his pedigree, name and those price tags and of course the position he took up on the pitch, you have to be strong as f*** mentally to stay right at the top for as long as he did. Several people have now said they've never met anyone so driven, so focused. That type of attitude in management can be a wrecking ball but alternatively it can be a force to be reckoned with. He's also very calculating and selfish which again can be major strengths to a manager. People say he'll be more Souness than say Keegan. I think he'll be different to both, much different. Beardsley was asked in a talk-in what he was like in the dressing room and Beardsley joked he dare not say with a long pause hinting that Shearer commands great respect and fear. He eventually revealed he was a git due to his pranks, but a personality that everyone liked, effectively he was a bit of everything. Destined to do well in whatever he chose was the general opinion though. Apparently a lazy trainer mind :lol:

Shearer could be just like Souness, he has the same sort of playing mentality which Souness had as a player and I worry that he might be too arrogant to recognise his own weaknesses.

Guest LucaAltieri

I think Shearer will shock a few people. There's something about Shearer that makes him stand out as being different. As a player there were many more talented a striker in terms of skill but to play like he did in his style and with the weight of expectation and burden that fell on his shoulders due to his pedigree, name and those price tags and of course the position he took up on the pitch, you have to be strong as f*** mentally to stay right at the top for as long as he did. Several people have now said they've never met anyone so driven, so focused. That type of attitude in management can be a wrecking ball but alternatively it can be a force to be reckoned with. He's also very calculating and selfish which again can be major strengths to a manager. People say he'll be more Souness than say Keegan. I think he'll be different to both, much different. Beardsley was asked in a talk-in what he was like in the dressing room and Beardsley joked he dare not say with a long pause hinting that Shearer commands great respect and fear. He eventually revealed he was a git due to his pranks, but a personality that everyone liked, effectively he was a bit of everything. Destined to do well in whatever he chose was the general opinion though. Apparently a lazy trainer mind :lol:

Shearer could be just like Souness, he has the same sort of playing mentality which Souness had as a player and I worry that he might be too arrogant to recognise his own weaknesses.

Possibly... but Shearer changed his game as he aged. He knew when it was time to retire. I think Shearer will be well aware of any weakness he has and find a way around them.

not sure if anyone else has said this but i listened to the interview live, and to me, it sounded like he was saying it to keep us happy while he's here

thats what i thought the kk and big al is just made up to make us happy i dont even think ashley will be gone by xmas :(

The press will be orgasming over the way this is already being spun without them even having to start it off this time.

Kinnear would have been better not repeating what was probably just a jibe from Ashley saying let them have their Geordie heroes KK and Shearer after the club is sold.

Neither of them will be coming man so stop playing into the presses clutches by talking it up.

The press will be orgasming over the way this is already being spun without them even having to start it off this time.

Kinnear would have been better not repeating what was probably just a jibe from Ashley saying let them have their Geordie heroes KK and Shearer after the club is sold.

Neither of them will be coming man so stop playing into the presses clutches by talking it up.

Probably the case.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think he'll be nowt like him or any manager he's worked under really, he'll be his own man. Shearer isn't exactly Mr Arrogant either, everyone who has ever met him speaks highly of him as a person. Shearer the manager I feel will be different to Shearer the player.

People seem to have this confused view of Shearer because he regarded Souness as a friend and stuck up for him, this evil man who brought evil to Newcastle United. Yet that to me shows great strength of character when everyone else sees things differently. It also shows loyalty and separatist thinking. He's no sheep is Shearer.

Like I said I think he'll shock people. He could well be the ideal man for us because he'll come into the job fresh and be his own man. He'll have a vision in his head for Newcastle and himself and with his determination, focus and knack of making fools of his critics, I wouldn't bet against him succeeding in management.

The very fact he hasn't rushed in despite probable numerous job offers like others have is also a good sign for me.

When he set out on the path to being a footballer he was driven to one day wear the number 9 of Newcastle and to score goals.

Now as a man he's driven to one day manage the club to success.

People who are so driven and so hell bent on achieving something usually do, especially those with the tools to do so which Shearer has.

He'll take over one day and I personally think he'll do well.

He doesn't have to go away and get some experience first either, those thinking that will somehow validate his credentials as a manager are looking at it all wrong.

There is nothing Shearer can't learn at a lower division side he can't learn at Newcastle, indeed he'll learn far more and much quicker at Newcastle than he would at a lower league club. All that would do is give him experience which in football rarely counts for anything unless you have the right tools and right character and we're living proof of that because Souness was vastly experienced and so was Big Sam, two abject failures on Tyneside.

Assuming that it is true, I really don't know what to think of it. I don't want Keegan back, but in the state we're in (even after we're sold), I can't see anyone taking the job.

Why wouldn't they?  Numerous big names wanted the job after Keegan left until it became clear the club was being sold and any job would be merely temporary.  I'm sure the same managers would want the job under a fresh owner.

not sure if anyone else has said this but i listened to the interview live, and to me, it sounded like he was saying it to keep us happy while he's here

thats what i thought the kk and big al is just made up to make us happy i dont even think ashley will be gone by xmas :(

nah thats not what i meant mate, i fully expect ashley to be gone soon, i think that bit was genuine, you can tell a lot just by the way people say things usually. but the keegan and shearer stuff doesnt make sense, why the hell would ashley, or kinear, know who was going to be put in charge once the new owners are here. it was more 'i know the club's going to be sold soon, and i expect it'll be keegan or shearer'