Keegan Shearer partnership once club is sold?

Guest hindu times

Pretty sure Kinnear was just passing a comment about how any new owners would have their own choices as to who would be manager. He just happened to use two names that he thought might be top of that list/popular choices.

Ashley has probably been telling him anything just to get him to agree to look after the titanic club for a while, there's no buyer on the horizon except Nigerians who have never spoken to Keegan because they couldn't find out what golf course he's on. The Nigerians might or might not have raised £500 quid so far.

Ashley is thinking of putting the asking price up by another 10% just to see if he can raise some interest among the eskimos Yupik, Inuit and Aleut who, up until now, had been more interested in fishing and thinking up new names for snow.

I'd rather have Shearer to Keegan.

Like HTT mentioned, there's just something about Shearer that makes me think that he'll do it right. He's got the mentality, got the character, and the intelligence as well so I figure the tactical prowess will come with time. If Southgate, Keane, and Ince can all do a decent job, why can't Shearer?

As for Keegan, he's a brilliant manager but as has already been well publicized on this board, I don't think I'd ever be able to trust him not to leave us when the stress becomes too much.

By the way, if your one of the people who think Shearer needs to cut his teeth in the Championship before coming to Newcastle... The two might not be mutually exclusive starting next season.  :undecided:

I think he'll be nowt like him or any manager he's worked under really, he'll be his own man. Shearer isn't exactly Mr Arrogant either, everyone who has ever met him speaks highly of him as a person. Shearer the manager I feel will be different to Shearer the player.

People seem to have this confused view of Shearer because he regarded Souness as a friend and stuck up for him, this evil man who brought evil to Newcastle United. Yet that to me shows great strength of character when everyone else sees things differently. It also shows loyalty and separatist thinking. He's no sheep is Shearer.

Like I said I think he'll shock people. He could well be the ideal man for us because he'll come into the job fresh and be his own man. He'll have a vision in his head for Newcastle and himself and with his determination, focus and knack of making fools of his critics, I wouldn't bet against him succeeding in management.

The very fact he hasn't rushed in despite probable numerous job offers like others have is also a good sign for me.

When he set out on the path to being a footballer he was driven to one day wear the number 9 of Newcastle and to score goals.

Now as a man he's driven to one day manage the club to success.

People who are so driven and so hell bent on achieving something usually do, especially those with the tools to do so which Shearer has.

He'll take over one day and I personally think he'll do well.

He doesn't have to go away and get some experience first either, those thinking that will somehow validate his credentials as a manager are looking at it all wrong.

There is nothing Shearer can't learn at a lower division side he can't learn at Newcastle, indeed he'll learn far more and much quicker at Newcastle than he would at a lower league club. All that would do is give him experience which in football rarely counts for anything unless you have the right tools and right character and we're living proof of that because Souness was vastly experienced and so was Big Sam, two abject failures on Tyneside.

I wasn't thinking about how Shearer supported Souness, that was his choice to make.  My problem is that I see what you see but I see it as a potential weakness, time will tell.  I hope that I'm wrong if he comes here but we'll not know until or if it happens.

not sure if anyone else has said this but i listened to the interview live, and to me, it sounded like he was saying it to keep us happy while he's here

thats what i thought the kk and big al is just made up to make us happy i dont even think ashley will be gone by xmas :(

nah thats not what i meant mate, i fully expect ashley to be gone soon, i think that bit was genuine, you can tell a lot just by the way people say things usually. but the keegan and shearer stuff doesnt make sense, why the hell would ashley, or kinear, know who was going to be put in charge once the new owners are here. it was more 'i know the club's going to be sold soon, and i expect it'll be keegan or shearer'

Because potential buyers of a Football club usually discuss there plans for the club as part of the sale.  Obviously in Ashley's case most wouldn't give him the credit of any interest in what happens after he gets his money, and they're probably right.  But I still expect him to discuss this kind of thing, even if only so he can claim he tried to put the best person in charge once he's gone "Well they told me they'd bring back the fans choice and give him X money and that's why I sold, not because I'm a greedy cunt and they offered me the most".

I think Shearer will shock a few people. There's something about Shearer that makes him stand out as being different. As a player there were many more talented a striker in terms of skill but to play like he did in his style and with the weight of expectation and burden that fell on his shoulders due to his pedigree, name and those price tags and of course the position he took up on the pitch, you have to be strong as f*** mentally to stay right at the top for as long as he did. Several people have now said they've never met anyone so driven, so focused. That type of attitude in management can be a wrecking ball but alternatively it can be a force to be reckoned with. He's also very calculating and selfish which again can be major strengths to a manager. People say he'll be more Souness than say Keegan. I think he'll be different to both, much different. Beardsley was asked in a talk-in what he was like in the dressing room and Beardsley joked he dare not say with a long pause hinting that Shearer commands great respect and fear. He eventually revealed he was a git due to his pranks, but a personality that everyone liked, effectively he was a bit of everything. Destined to do well in whatever he chose was the general opinion though. Apparently a lazy trainer mind :lol:

Shearer could be just like Souness, he has the same sort of playing mentality which Souness had as a player and I worry that he might be too arrogant to recognise his own weaknesses.

Possibly... but Shearer changed his game as he aged. He knew when it was time to retire. I think Shearer will be well aware of any weakness he has and find a way around them.

Are you having laugh!. He should have retired three seasons earlier.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think Shearer will shock a few people. There's something about Shearer that makes him stand out as being different. As a player there were many more talented a striker in terms of skill but to play like he did in his style and with the weight of expectation and burden that fell on his shoulders due to his pedigree, name and those price tags and of course the position he took up on the pitch, you have to be strong as f*** mentally to stay right at the top for as long as he did. Several people have now said they've never met anyone so driven, so focused. That type of attitude in management can be a wrecking ball but alternatively it can be a force to be reckoned with. He's also very calculating and selfish which again can be major strengths to a manager. People say he'll be more Souness than say Keegan. I think he'll be different to both, much different. Beardsley was asked in a talk-in what he was like in the dressing room and Beardsley joked he dare not say with a long pause hinting that Shearer commands great respect and fear. He eventually revealed he was a git due to his pranks, but a personality that everyone liked, effectively he was a bit of everything. Destined to do well in whatever he chose was the general opinion though. Apparently a lazy trainer mind :lol:

Shearer could be just like Souness, he has the same sort of playing mentality which Souness had as a player and I worry that he might be too arrogant to recognise his own weaknesses.

Possibly... but Shearer changed his game as he aged. He knew when it was time to retire. I think Shearer will be well aware of any weakness he has and find a way around them.

Your right, our strikeforce has become amazingly effective now he has gone!

The strike force is pretty effective when they are actually fit. Viduka, Martins and Owen have all scored goals when they start, the problem is actually getting them on the pitch.

As for Shearer as a manager, I'm not convinced he would take the job even if offered.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The strike force is pretty effective when they are actually fit. Viduka, Martins and Owen have all scored goals when they start, the problem is actually getting them on the pitch.

As for Shearer as a manager, I'm not convinced he would take the job even if offered.

Shearer couldnt take the job at a better time, we expect very little, the squad in effect is above average when fit!?! If Shearer took up the reigns after a successful stint, he would have very little impact, however if he was to bring out of the depths of relegation fears to a top 8 side he would be seen as a success

Guest LucaAltieri

He was still effective - and our best attacking option - right up until the last season... you know, that extra season he was begged to play.

He was still effective - and our best attacking option - right up until the last season... you know, that extra season he was begged to play.

not really, in his last 2 seasons he was awful. Dont forget he didn't manage a single league away goal from open play in 2004

I'm one of Keegan's chief doubters, but whatever, I hope the new owners think carefully here. Do they really want to appoint someone whose standing with many fans means that he's very difficult to sack, no matter what the situation? And how easy will it be to attract top players to the club, if the manager has a reputation for suddenly walking out?

I'd prefer to see Shearer in charge, of the two. The idea of them working together was already explored at the time of Keegan's appointment, and it's pretty clear that Shearer is no-one's assistant. Plus I don't think the two men have a particularly close relationship to start off with.

Whether Shearer would want it at this time is doubtful though. Regardless of who the owner is, I still think he's wary of the time commitment that a manager's job would entail.

I'm one of Keegan's chief doubters, but whatever, I hope the new owners think carefully here. Do they really want to appoint someone whose standing with many fans means that he's very difficult to sack, no matter what the situation? And how easy will it be to attract top players to the club, if the manager has a reputation for suddenly walking out?

I'd prefer to see Shearer in charge, of the two. The idea of them working together was already explored at the time of Keegan's appointment, and it's pretty clear that Shearer is no-one's assistant. Plus I don't think the two men have a particularly close relationship to start off with.

Whether Shearer would want it at this time is doubtful though. Regardless of who the owner is, I still think he's wary of the time commitment that a manager's job would entail.

I think it's more that he doesn't think the odds are good enough.

He's wary of failure.

Touched on it in the Kinnear thread, but think if a new owner was really that close, and he was getting Keegan back, then Keegan would have returned by now, knowing that he'd only have to work with Ashley and his cronies for another 2 months tops.

What if what in the alleged meetings is true? How could Llambias and KK even be in the same room together without breaking into another fight?

Touched on it in the Kinnear thread, but think if a new owner was really that close, and he was getting Keegan back, then Keegan would have returned by now, knowing that he'd only have to work with Ashley and his cronies for another 2 months tops.

Keegan can't work with Ashley, Wise etc. Not now, and not even for a short time. It's best he stays away for now.

Guest Toon Barmy

Its all a smoke screen, Shearer says he is not coming, Keegan coming bacck would be a mistake and selling the club has no guarantees. all lies, lies, lies.

Guest Toon Barmy

in his live interview, Kinnear said ASHLEY told him that potential buyers wanted Keegan and Shearer.  As we all guessed, it's a load of LIES, get it into your thick skulls.

Guest LucaAltieri

in his live interview, Kinnear said ASHLEY told him that potential buyers wanted Keegan and Shearer.  As we all guessed, it's a load of LIES, get it into your thick skulls.

If our next manager is either Keegan or Shearer do you promise to fuck off for good?

Guest Toon Barmy

If our next manager is either Keegan or Shearer do you promise to f*** off for good?

Explain to me how it is not lies to appease fuckwits like you?