Mind your language

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Exactly, but that's "SIR" Alex, he's a loveable scots rouge.

Well within his rights to go mental, as was wor Joe. It's more interesting that anything Gareth Southgate will ever say!

:lol:

Top five managerial rants

When Joe Kinnear unleashed both barrels at a Newcastle United press conference, it brought to mind some football managerial runs-in with the media from the past.

1. Sir Alex Ferguson

Cristiano Ronaldo's exaggerated tumble was the feature of Manchester United's win over Middlesbrough in Dec 2006. Gareth Southgate described the winger as a serial diver, but when Sky's Geoff Shreeves approached Sir Alex Ferguson for his reaction the response was rather different:

Shreeves: I asked him...

Ferguson: F***ing (inaudible) b******.

Shreeves: Don't talk to me like that.

Ferguson: F--- off to you.

Shreeves: Don't talk to me like that. Don't even think about it.

Ferguson: Don't you think about it, you ----. F--- off. Right?

Shreeves: Listen, are you going to do the interview in a professional manner or not? Do you want to do it or not?

Ferguson: You f------ be professional. You be professional. You're the one.

Shreeves: I'm entitled to ask... Cristiano gave the right answer.

Ferguson: F------ hell with your answers.

Shreeves: Don't talk to me like that. Go away. If you want to behave civilly, fine. Don't talk to me like that.

Ferguson: F--- off. (door slams)

2. Graham Taylor to the News of the World's Rob Shepherd, 1994:

"Rob, I can't continue...listen, Rob...I cannot have faces like yours around about me. [uproarious laughter] No I can't – I tell you what, if you were one of my players with a face like that, I'd f------ kick you out. You'd never have a chance. Put a smile on your face, we're here for business, come on."

3. Sir Alex Ferguson again, memorably, on a reports of an argument between Juan Sebastian Veron and Manchester United team-mates following their 2003 Champions League semi-final exit at Bayer Leverkusen.

"People are always going on about f------ Veron. You tell me, what's wrong with Veron?" fumed Fergie.

"What's this thing about fights and all the rest of this s---? It's absolute nonsense, you know it's nonsense. Absolute lies. On you go. I'm no f------ talking to you. He's a f------ great player. Yous are f------ idiots."

4. Harry Redknapp on camera after being struck by a football:

Why the f--- did you kick that over here? You tried to kick it in the goal and you hit me? Get some f------ brains, will you? [To reporter] It's no wonder he's in the f------ reserves."

5. Avram Grant Not the bellicose type, former Chelsea manager confounded everyone last season with an extraordinary passive-aggressive press conference, greeting almost every question with a monosyllabic 'yes' or 'no' answer.

I thought it was class, Not the swearing but the passion. If half of that rubs off on the players I think we'll be ok..

Can't understand the negative comments, the press have been taking the piss out of him since he took over

if someone said that shit about me I'd tell them to fuck off..

Well done Joe  :clap:

Guest Brummiemag

Good on you Joe. The media have been taking the piss out of him all week and treating him like a joke, so I dont blame him at all for fighting back. He could easily have come up here, taken the money and settled for a relatively quiet time. Hopefully some of this fighting talk will rub off on some of our spineless overpaid players.

It seems the reaction from the fans has been overwhelmingly positive. I dont think it was a ploy, just a natural reaction from a proud and passionate man but it may well have the effect of uniting the club and creating a them and us, world against us type of mentality which is just what we need at the moment. At the very least I expect the players to come out fighting tomorrow

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/04/wally-of-the-week-115875-20772294/

What a surprise, check out the poll results though  :lol:

On a similar note, the dummy has came out again when Ricky Gervais corrected a Mirror reporter

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/latest/2008/10/03/touchy-ricky-gervais-at-war-with-daily-mirror-man-derek-mcgovern-115875-20770660/

This is exactly why I hate the media. They can say whatever they like about anyone but when that person gets upset they are told to lighten up and not take things so seriously. The press can dish it out but they certainly can't take it.

One week into the job and Kinnear is already fucking things up, for himself more than anything.

He is on a short term contract. He can shout and moan and issue threats as much as he wants to, but the weakness of his own position gives no-one the motivation to respond to that.

Basically with the owner's leaving, Kinnear needs to win the hearts and minds of three parties.

The players. The only way he can get the players motivated to perform is by using a soft approach and winning their friendship and respect. This way, he may get some results to put on his CV.

The fans. Results on the pitch and his passion are what are needed here. If he wants a shot at being kept on by the new owners, he has to get the players playing, and in turn win the fans over.

The press. At the end of the day, love them or hate them, the media will be writing Joe Kinnear's epitaph when the takeover happens, and they will have a huge bearing over the reputation of Joe Kinnear, be it in the eyes of the new ownership, or perhaps of a club looking for a new manager in the future.

I don't like his public manner, and I don't like his witterings about foreign players and the crazy gang. All this has created the impression for me that Kinnear is an old relic who should never be allowed near a football club on a long term basis.

Good luck with his short term running of the club, but even if he wins every game he'd never get my backing long term. Kinnear in January would be one of the biggest disasters in club history.

One week into the job and Kinnear is already fucking things up, for himself more than anything.

He is on a short term contract. He can shout and moan and issue threats as much as he wants to, but the weakness of his own position gives no-one the motivation to respond to that.

Basically with the owner's leaving, Kinnear needs to win the hearts and minds of three parties.

The players. The only way he can get the players motivated to perform is by using a soft approach and winning their friendship and respect. This way, he may get some results to put on his CV.

The fans. Results on the pitch and his passion are what are needed here. If he wants a shot at being kept on by the new owners, he has to get the players playing, and in turn win the fans over.

The press. At the end of the day, love them or hate them, the media will be writing Joe Kinnear's epitaph when the takeover happens, and they will have a huge bearing over the reputation of Joe Kinnear, be it in the eyes of the new ownership, or perhaps of a club looking for a new manager in the future.

I don't like his public manner, and I don't like his witterings about foreign players and the crazy gang. All this has created the impression for me that Kinnear is an old relic who should never be allowed near a football club on a long term basis.

Good luck with his short term running of the club, but even if he wins every game he'd never get my backing long term. Kinnear in January would be one of the biggest disasters in club history.

If he's still here in January then I will agree with every word. At the moment I'm taking it at face value that he'll be here for an interim period only. On that basis he has my full backing to blast the press, light a fire under the arses of previously disinterested players and get some fucking results.

If he's still here in January then I will agree with every word. At the moment I'm taking it at face value that he'll be here for an interim period only. On that basis he has my full backing to blast the press, light a fire under the arses of previously disinterested players and get some fucking results.

Won't work. The length of his contract will see to that.

The length of the contract is unavoidable because the club is in the process of being sold. If the players can't be arsed because of  that then fuck them tbh, it's a disgraceful attitude.

The length of the contract is unavoidable because the club is in the process of being sold. If the players can't be arsed because of  that then fuck them tbh, it's a disgraceful attitude.

It is the modern game, it is up to Kinnear to adapt to the players not for the players to adapt to the manager.

It is one of the first rules of management.

Didn't people hit Souness with that particular stick?

Fair play to him, the press are cunts. He told them what he thought of them and at the end of the day he is here to get results in an extremely short space of time. The last thing he needs is these bastards saying what they have about him.

It is the modern game, it is up to Kinnear to adapt to the players not for the players to adapt to the manager.

The consensus, almost from day one, was that Souness cunted into the club and tried to manage like an army colonel -- e.g. respect through pulling rank, instilling fear and intimidation. 

I haven't heard a bit of that about or from Joe yet.  My take on Joe is he's trying to appeal to whatever professional pride might exist in the squad.  To get them at least playing, if not for the club, then for themselves.  Frankly, if they've lost that, then he has no hope regardless -- soft touch or not. 

Guest Phil K

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/04/wally-of-the-week-115875-20772294/

On a similar note, the dummy has came out again when Ricky Gervais corrected a Mirror reporter

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/latest/2008/10/03/touchy-ricky-gervais-at-war-with-daily-mirror-man-derek-mcgovern-115875-20770660/

This is exactly why I hate the media. They can say whatever they like about anyone but when that person gets upset they are told to lighten up and not take things so seriously. The press can dish it out but they certainly can't take it.

The Mirror group more than any other (even the Sun) have atatcked Newcastle day in day out.

There is a guarantee that every so often the Mirror does an article exposing the "lies" about Newcastle fans loyalty etc etc etc - pure spite.

Why the hell any Newcastle fan buys this rag is beyond me.

That said, they all do it - including the broad sheets, allowing their spleen to run riot in a manner they would never EVER use against any other club.

It really has me puzzled.

Why the hate ?

WHAT poll results ?

Do you really think Ferguson and most of the other top managers adapt their approach to suit their players?  Bollocks do they.

Do you really think Ferguson and most of the other top managers adapt their approach to suit their players?  Bollocks do they.

tbf they've earned their reputation and don't have to do that.  JFK isn't a top manager and has to take a different tack.

The consensus, almost from day one, was that Souness cunted into the club and tried to manage like an army colonel -- e.g. respect through pulling rank, instilling fear and intimidation. 

I haven't heard a bit of that about or from Joe yet.  My take on Joe is he's trying to appeal to whatever professional pride might exist in the squad.  To get them at least playing, if not for the club, then for themselves.  Frankly, if they've lost that, then he has no hope regardless -- soft touch or not. 

My original post didn't make the assumption that JK would try to manage like Souness, it was more of a comment that if he wants to be a success, he should play nice, whereas what you are quoting is my response to the attitude that Kinnear should be blasting his players if necessary.

Just want to make that clear.

tbf they've earned their reputation and don't have to do that.  JFK isn't a top manager and has to take a different tack.

And you think they adapted their approach to suit the players while they earned their reputation?  No, part of the reason they are successful and have the reputation they have is because they weren't afraid to kick some arses on the way up.

Guest Phil K

And you think they adapted their approach to suit the players while they earned their reputation?  No, part of the reason they are successful and have the reputation they have is because they weren't afraid to kick some arses on the way up.

I'd say - certainly in Wengers case - that it would be adapt to every player in a different way - kick a backside here, arm around shoulder there, and those it is a waste of time with sold on.

My original post didn't make the assumption that JK would try to manage like Souness, it was more of a comment that if he wants to be a success, he should play nice, whereas what you are quoting is my response to the attitude that Kinnear should be blasting his players if necessary.

Just want to make that clear.

I'm well aware of what I'm quoting;  I just hate quote pyramids. 

Lighting a fire under players asses and blasting them aren't necessarily the same thing.

I'd say - certainly in Wengers case - that it would be adapt to every player in a different way - kick a backside here, arm around shoulder there, and those it is a waste of time with sold on.

That goes without saying.  Even managers like Fergie know when it is the right time to put your arm around a player and when he needs a rocket.  We are talking about a general approach here though and not on an individual basis, and in that respect there's no way a manager should change his whole approach in case it upsets a couple of players.

And if they get upset because the manager has a rant at the press, and that's all we are talking about here, then is it any wonder they can't perform in front of 50k every week?