Newcastle United vs Citeh - Pre match thread

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Manchester City travel to Newcastle United in the Premier League on Monday night hoping to inflict more misery on their hosts.

The recent off-field fortunes of the two clubs could not be in greater contrast as the Toon remain in a state of turmoil while City continue to live the high life.

On the final day of the summer transfer window, St James' Park was awash with shock rumours that then manager Kevin Keegan had resigned, while the City of Manchester Stadium was anticipating a big-money takeover from the Abu Dhabi United Group.

Since the start of September, both stories have become reality to place City among the financial elite of the footballing world and leave Newcastle wondering what can possibly happen next.

The 19th-placed Magpies are up for sale and interim boss Joe Kinnear has yet to record a victory since taking over at the end of last month.

Boost

And the former Wimbledon, Luton and Nottingham Forest boss is unlikely to have wished for free-scoring City, who have netted 15 times in their last six outings in all competitions, to come calling as he looks for his first three-point haul.

Kinnear's task becomes even tougher when it is remembered he will be forced to do without star striker Michael Owen, who sustained a groin strain in training at the end of last week.

Midfielder Joey Barton will not play against his former club as he serves the final game of his six-match ban, and Mark Viduka and Alan Smith remain absent.

However, Newcastle could be boosted by the return of winger Jonas Gutierrez, who has recovered fitness since fracturing his collarbone in Argentina's World Cup qualifier against Peru six weeks ago, and Habib Beye (Achilles) could also feature.

Meanwhile, City boss Mark Hughes will be missing midfielder Martin Petrov after the Bulgarian damaged knee ligaments during the international break and defender Pablo Zabaleta is suspended.

However, British record transfer signing Robinho should feature after fears that the Brazilian ace had suffered a long-term injury while representing his country proved unnecessary.

Possible starting XIs

Newcastle: Given, Enrique, Taylor, Coloccini, N'Zogbia, Geremi, Butt, Guthrie, Duff, Xisco, Ameobi.

Man City: Hart, Ben Haim, Garrido, Dunne, Richards, Kompany, Elano, Ireland, Robinho, Wright- Phillips, Jo

:lol: I am not looking forward to it at all, I think SWP will rape us if Enrique plays at LB, he has found form on his return to City. I wonder what the boo's will be like for him, is he forgiven for the Robbie Elliot sending off yet?.

Phillips will rape us if our only proper left back plays? :idiot2:

Its a funny time of year.

Shall I wear a big coat tonight or just a small jacket?.

Decisions.  :undecided:

Wear a small jacket with your Toon top over it!  :pow:

Used to do it when I were a young un but im 25 now ffs!

:lol: Oh right, not the best idea then...

Feeling less and less confident looking at the team sheets.

If Xisco and Shola are our strikeforce then we cannot win

1-3 Man City

I thought Oba was fit tonight? Id play him and Xisco tonight. But yes, if Shola plays with Xisco then we're in trouble.

Fullbacks need to be on their game tonight, as will Butt and Guthrie. We need to restrict distribution to their wide players, we need to press hard, and try to give Jo as little service as possible. If we are playing Shola and Xisco then we need to get the ball down, and focus on the wings, with Beye/Enrique on the overlap. Those two will need crosses, not balls played to their feet as neither is proficient at running at defences.

Im worried Butt might get overran tonight. Ireland, Wright-Phillips and Elano are all slippery buggers and Butt isnt in his youth anymore is he? Midfield will be crucial for us tonight.

I doubt Jonas will start. Geremi instead probably.

As for upfront- we might not play Xisco and Shola. I have a feeling J.K will play Shola up top with Duff playing off him. That would be worse than Shola and Xisco imo but I can see it happening.

""He [oba] will start for us tonight and I will monitor just how long he plays. "

Kinnear

Good news :thup:

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1426260,00.html

YES! Get in lad!

I worry for my life when i see Nicky Butt playing. I don't know what it is. He just makes me feel that insecure and worried that i lock my doors and close my windows, just incase.

:lol:

:lol: I am not looking forward to it at all, I think SWP will rape us if Enrique plays at LB, he has found form on his return to City. I wonder what the boo's will be like for him, is he forgiven for the Robbie Elliot sending off yet?.

Forgotten bout that. Diving little s***.

funniest thing about that was Keiron Dyer confronting him about him at that skills convention days later