The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Guest Howaythetoon

If we do plan on selling Owen to City, get Sturridge in return, looks a good prospect. I quite like that Blackburn youngster too, he looks a natural goalscorer.

I hope you don't mean Matt Derbyshire.

I do, I like what I've seen of him. Not the best player but a decent finisher, good movement and positioning too.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If we do plan on selling Owen to City, get Sturridge in return, looks a good prospect. I quite like that Blackburn youngster too, he looks a natural goalscorer.

I do, I like what I've seen of him. Not the best player but a decent finisher, good movement and positioning too.

I quite like Derbyshire, reminds me a bit of Aliadiare, but has good pace about him. Dont think we need him at this point though. A forward with power and pace to lead the line is the biggest periority

My best friend is a Blackburn fan, and he says that Derbyshire will come off the bench, score and be a match winner, start the next game, and then look completely out of his depth.

I agree he has shown glimpses, but he isn't good enough for our first team I don't think.

This 'leading the line' shit is a traditional way of thinking. We don't need a big strong centerforward, we need someone with pace, technique and good movement. It doesn't matter if he's a fucking midget. We need better movement in the team. Bar Owen and Martins, no one else in the team offers good forward movement. Jonas could possibly do, but we hold possession in deep areas which means that he needs to come back towards the halfway line to collect the ball instead of collecting it in a more forward position. Owen's also slow now and in a 442 just ineffective. Martins obviously has pace but he's still not using all the space available on the pitch. If we could get someone like Bellamy (but not necessarily him), our whole attack would be more devastating.

Seems to have an annoying habit of scoring when coming on as a sub - sure a couple of times i have seen him do it within about 20 seconds of coming on

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=425447

Geordies put in bid says keeper

According to today's News Of The World, Newcastle United see Keiren Westwood as a perfect replacement for Shay Given.

The Republic Of Ireland number one has said that he wants away from Newcastle, whom he has served for a good number of years and has aroused much interest amonst Premier League clubs.

The paper claims that a £4m bid has been accepted.

Everton, according to the paper could also put in a bid for Westwood who is not cup tied after missing yesterday;s game with what Chris Coleman said was a stomach bug.

Guest Howaythetoon

My best friend is a Blackburn fan, and he says that Derbyshire will come off the bench, score and be a match winner, start the next game, and then look completely out of his depth.

I agree he has shown glimpses, but he isn't good enough for our first team I don't think.

If you are coming off the bench one game then starting the next its hard to produce some kind of form, to get into a good rhythm, especially at that age, Walcott has or had the same problem, Lennon when he first burst onto the scene and others. From what I've seen of him and how highly the Blackburn fans seem to rate him I'm surprised he isn't a regular. One thing that might go against him is he has no real identifiable traits i.e. he's not a true centre-forward and he's not a link up forward either, he's more of a fox in the box type player not too dissimilar to Owen perhaps, a player who for years has been the topic of trying to fit in to build a team around or to find a suitable partner for for a number of managers and clubs. I do like him though, for someone so young he seems a cool finisher and gets himself into the right places at the right times. Bit lightweight but that's not a real big problem IMO.

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=425447

Geordies put in bid says keeper

According to today's News Of The World, Newcastle United see Keiren Westwood as a perfect replacement for Shay Given.

The Republic Of Ireland number one has said that he wants away from Newcastle, whom he has served for a good number of years and has aroused much interest amonst Premier League clubs.

The paper claims that a £4m bid has been accepted.

Everton, according to the paper could also put in a bid for Westwood who is not cup tied after missing yesterday;s game with what Chris Coleman said was a stomach bug.

And the list goes on...

I'd rather Kinnear wasn't involved with buying or selling any of our players.

As for spending money in this transfer window, I'm not sure how much the club is making these days

Logically well over £100 million in revenue a season.  Meanwhile costs will be down from previous seasons.  Where's the profit going Mike you fat prick?

Didn't the books show for the season ending in 2007 that we were going to make a £30 million loss?

We've got the extra sky money but if we are making a profit I wouldn't think it was much, unless you think such a dramatic turnaround has happened in the last 18 months.

Yeah you're right we made a big loss in 2006-2007.  £8 million of that was interest payments though, plus we're now making £20 million more per season from TV money, which basically wipes that loss out.

Meanwhile we spent about £35 million net on transfers in the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons, while in the last couple of seasons our net spend has been around £5 million per year.  Of course not all of that transfer money will have been included in the financial statements from the respective year, but its a good indication that 2006-2007's spending in that area would have been significantly higher.

I definitely don't believe we're making massive profits now by the way.  Just good profits, and I don't think we're seeing that spent on players.

If you are coming off the bench one game then starting the next its hard to produce some kind of form, to get into a good rhythm, especially at that age, Walcott has or had the same problem, Lennon when he first burst onto the scene and others. From what I've seen of him and how highly the Blackburn fans seem to rate him I'm surprised he isn't a regular. One thing that might go against him is he has no real identifiable traits i.e. he's not a true centre-forward and he's not a link up forward either, he's more of a fox in the box type player not too dissimilar to Owen perhaps, a player who for years has been the topic of trying to fit in to build a team around or to find a suitable partner for for a number of managers and clubs. I do like him though, for someone so young he seems a cool finisher and gets himself into the right places at the right times. Bit lightweight but that's not a real big problem IMO.

I agree with you when you say he isn't one type of striker. I do however think he's a very difficult player to judge the ability of.

I'd rather Kinnear wasn't involved with buying or selling any of our players.

As for spending money in this transfer window, I'm not sure how much the club is making these days

Logically well over £100 million in revenue a season.  Meanwhile costs will be down from previous seasons.  Where's the profit going Mike you fat prick?

Didn't the books show for the season ending in 2007 that we were going to make a £30 million loss?

We've got the extra sky money but if we are making a profit I wouldn't think it was much, unless you think such a dramatic turnaround has happened in the last 18 months.

Yeah you're right we made a big loss in 2006-2007.  £8 million of that was interest payments though, plus we're now making £20 million more per season from TV money, which basically wipes that loss out.

Meanwhile we spent about £35 million net on transfers in 2006-2007, while in the last couple of seasons our net spend has been around £5 million per year.  Of course not all of that transfer money will have been included in the financial statements from the respective year, but its a good indication that 2006-2007's spending in that area would have been significantly higher.

I definitely don't believe we're making massive profits now by the way.  Just good profits, and I don't think we're seeing that spent on players.

I think you're getting your dates wrong.

Sorry yes your right, I should have said that our net spend for the two seasons before Ashley was £35 million while the net spend for Ashley's first two years has been about £5 million per season.  Net spend for 2006-2007 itself was about £10 million.  I'll edit my post.

I wake up every day, hoping that we've signed Per Ciljan Skjelbred :smitten:. He clearly wants to play for us.

Would also like us to pick up Kevin Monnet-Pasquet cheaply

I wake up every day hoping we have signed someone

Guest LucaAltieri

Spurs have put in a £950k bid for Nile Ranger.

What?

Mate of mine tells me the bid was accepted. It's all up to Ranger now.

Guest LucaAltieri

Spurs have put in a £950k bid for Nile Ranger.

What?

Mate of mine tells me the bid was accepted. It's all up to Ranger now.

Are you sure? :lol:

That's what I heard.

15.33  Rangers boss Walter Smith has dismissed specualtion linking Barry Ferguson with a move to Newcastle. The Gers chief has also played down talk suggesting Madjid Bougherra and Allan McGregor are on their way to St James' Park.

15.33  Rangers boss Walter Smith has dismissed specualtion linking Barry Ferguson with a move to Newcastle. The Gers chief has also played down talk suggesting Madjid Bougherra and Allan McGregor are on their way to St James' Park.

Good.

McGregor is good goalkeeper but I read somewhere that the Gers wanted £7.5 million :cheesy:

Walter can say what he wants, Rangers need £££'s so Sir David will flog anyone for the right price.

We need a real manager to our club, someone with reputation(and im not talking Souness type of rep). With mediocre managers such as Souness, Roeder, Big Sam, kinnear etc isnt signs of a big club or a club going in the right direction. If we get a manager with a big reputation we can get good players here instead of Barry Ferguson, Riise etc.

And Btw if u guys were the chairman, would you have given money to kinnear? I for sure wouldnt have.

We've not been linked to a single decent player yet have we? Seriously, none of them are much of an upgrade on what we've got. We'll let some of our better players go (and hopefully that waster Smith as well), and replace them with poorer players, or players well on their way out (the likes of Bouba Diop and Ferguson).

This window, and this season are going to be utter disasters.

We've not been linked to a single decent player yet have we? Seriously, none of them are much of an upgrade on what we've got. We'll let some of our better players go (and hopefully that waster Smith as well), and replace them with poorer players, or players well on their way out (the likes of Bouba Diop and Ferguson).

This window, and this season are going to be utter disasters.

This season is already a disaster.