The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

until what time has the deadline been extended too? midnight?

As long as the deal has been agreed in principal, clubs are given a chance to get the players in after the window. It's not in their interests to set another deadline.

Guest pont-toon

this deadline extension....

i would think it is reasonable to assume that clubs would have to demonstrate that a deal would have been done had there not been a delay due to the weather.

divint get your hopes up !

I can't say I understand why people are having a hissy over the prospect of Martins/Bent swap deal. He's hardly a goal machine.

But he is by far our most dangerous player... no debate.

He's hugely inconsistant, gets injured frequently and hasn't got a good footballing brain. His pace makes him dangerous but he doesn't even use that properly most of the time.

Bent is a much better striker. Put him one on one with a 'keeper and he'll find the net, put Martins on that same position and he'll find row J.

How many times have you seen Martins do that, actually? (As far as I can remember, he's finished most of the 1v1s he got himself in) And by the same token I suppose Owen is also a better striker than Martins?

Take Martins out of the team and we're consistently shite. Surely the fact that we've won only 2 matches in 27 PL matches without him speaks for itself?

Has Wise been sacked btw? They didn't mention him being at the training ground.

If Ashley comes out of the window saying "hey, I haven't got you any new signings, but at least I've sacked Wise!" I'm going to grab a shotgun and get on the next flight to London.

Guest The Libertine

I love how certain people are havign a go for trying to swap for Bent because it is a negative rumour, but have refused to believe any of the links to any decent players that are more positive rumours.

Pathetic.

:thup:

1505: Another colleague just spoke to Newcastle. They know nothing about an extraordinary proposed swap with Spurs of Obafemi Martins and Darren Bent. As for other possible signings today, we are told a big, fat zero. I'd continue to watch this space, however.

:suicide:

Seriously, where do we go from here if there are no signings? How the fuck are we supposed to stay up?

They mean they have been told zero, not that there is zero coming in.

Has Wise been sacked btw? They didn't mention him being at the training ground.

If Ashley comes out of the window saying "hey, I haven't got you any new signings, but at least I've sacked Wise!" I'm going to grab a shotgun and get on the next flight to London.

I'd heard this rumour a couple of days ago actually and think it was in one of the sunday papers saying we were getting rid. I'm guessing we'd announce it though if he was going.

1505: Another colleague just spoke to Newcastle. They know nothing about an extraordinary proposed swap with Spurs of Obafemi Martins and Darren Bent. As for other possible signings today, we are told a big, fat zero. I'd continue to watch this space, however.

Seriously, where do we go from here if there are no signings? How the f*** are we supposed to stay up?

In glass half-full land i read it as "sod off we're not telling you" rather than "there'll be sod all coming in".

Seriously, where do we go from here if there are no signings? How the f*** are we supposed to stay up?

In glass half-full land i read it as "sod off we're not telling you" rather than "there'll be sod all coming in".

Nicely put.

Whilst i'd be disappointed and frustrated if we didn't get any more signings, it'd be more to do with it qualifying what an inept bunch of wasters we have running the club. Logistically speaking, though - if Joe Kinnear cannot keep this current squad of players up, then a Ryan Taylor and a Michael Johnson isn't going to make a jot of difference to that if you ask me.