The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

So Micheal Johnson fails a medical now?

Where do these journalists get their information from?  I wouldn't be at all surprised for that to have been leaked out of St James Park.

We would have gotten an inexperienced, injured player with no return date, who is also a rumoured alcoholic and has played three times this season.

Indeed, he would have saved our season and kept us up O0

Havn`t paid too much attention, but wasn`t he going to cost 8mill ? Also had a long standing ongoing pelvic problem ?  Failed medical. I`m glad would rather save the money for the summer, weather it be to get us promoted or if we survive to carry on building.

He would have failed here 5 games in with that price tag anyway.

It was reported on Setanta the second the deal fell through.

Setanta aren't the most credible mind.

Where do these journalists get their information from?  I wouldn't be at all surprised for that to have been leaked out of St James Park.

I was listening to that mp3 of the NUSC meeting and one of the things someone touched upon was the complete lack of communication from within the club. It's no shock that we don't know anything about the deal. I'm impressed we heard about it at all.

Guest johnson293

We would have gotten an inexperienced, injured player with no return date, who is also a rumoured alcoholic and has played three times this season.

Indeed, he would have saved our season and kept us up O0

Havn`t paid too much attention, but wasn`t he going to cost 8mill ? Also had a long standing ongoing pelvic problem ?  Failed medical. I`m glad would rather save the money for the summer, weather it be to get us promoted or if we survive to carry on building.

He would have failed here 5 games in with that price tag anyway.

It was reported on Setanta the second the deal fell through.

Setanta aren't the most credible mind.

^ This - Setantas breaking news banner was till reporting we were in talks/had £8m bid accepted for Johnson hours after Skys reporter outside the Man City stadium confirmed that City had said Johnson and any of their younger players weren't for sale.

Seems the failed medical thing came out somewhere the next day - but I dont believe it ever got that far.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/05/kinnear-ashley-will-be-more-hands-on-61634-22858740/2/

Meanwhile, United’s manager has expanded on the club’s efforts to strengthen in the transfer window – including their attempt to swap Charles N’Zogbia for Spurs striker Darren Bent.

“I had to raise my own transfer funds through selling other players which was not ideal but we just had to get on with it. The credit crunch has hit us hard,” he said.

We tried to do plenty of things but clubs wouldn’t sell. I spoke to Harry Redknapp about swapping Charles N’Zogbia for Darren Bent but that was not something that Tottenham wanted to do.

“We went to Liverpool for Sammi Hyypia and got turned down. We wanted Michael Johnson and Nedum Onuoha from Manchester City as part of the Shay Given deal but they wouldn’t sell them, and we were faced with the choice of having a really unhappy player or letting him go.

“We were close with Johnson and when we didn’t get that we went for Kieran Richardson.”

Spurs might not have wanted N'Zogbia, but they were definitely willing to let Bent go for most of the transfer window. I think if we'd made a concerted effort to get him instead of wasting time on daft bids for Richardson we might have had some joy. As it is, Bent scored a couple of goals last week and that probably added a few million to the price.

We handled the window pretty badly, there's not much getting away from that.

Kinnear maintains that Newcastle did submit an official bid for the Black Cats midfielder, while he was also frustrated at his failure to sign Johnson.

"I would have liked to get the other two lads we were chasing but that did not materialise," he explained.

"It was a case of waiting to hear from them. At one stage we thought we had Johnson but the goalposts were moved.

"We waited and waited and waited and of course the clock was running down so we didn't get a reply back until an hour before they called time.

"It was the same with Kieran. We put what we thought was a decent offer in but it did not materialise."

Anything else think it's becoming pretty clear that Kinnear is now the one running transfers?

Seems like a pretty logical explanation for our selection of targets becoming decidedly unimaginitive and also downright shit.

Anything else think it's becoming pretty clear that Kinnear is now the one running transfers?

Seems like a pretty logical explanation for our selection of targets becoming decidedly unimaginitive and also downright shit.

he may have chose them, but the budget, or lack of, was handed down to him.

but i agree he is woefully out of his depth, as is Ashley, wise, lambias.

Sounds like he is for the first team at least.

To be honest I haven't got a clue what's going on in the background. Seems like the loss of Jimenez was part of Ashley abandoning his previous system.

Seems like a pretty logical explanation for our selection of targets becoming decidedly unimaginitive and also downright s***.

To be honest I haven't got a clue what's going on in the background. Seems like the loss of Jimenez was part of Ashley abandoning his previous system.

Mike Ashley really is unbelievable. How did a bloke this thick ever succeed in business.

So in response to the Keegan fiasco, he apparently decided that he would have to scrap the system, which was probably the only successful thing he did here, and give 100% control to the manager.

The manager being in control isn't a bad idea in itself, but he fails to consider that "the manager" is Joe f***ing Kinnear.

Seems like a pretty logical explanation for our selection of targets becoming decidedly unimaginitive and also downright s***.

Mike Ashley really is unbelievable. How did a bloke this thick ever succeed in business.

So in response to the Keegan fiasco, he apparently decided that he would have to scrap the system, which was probably the only successful thing he did here, and give 100% control to the manager.

Without even considering for a moment that "the manager" is Joe fucking Kinnear.

Can't even begin to answer that, the way he went from (what seemed) a considered strategy and system to total chaos over night is inexplicable.

That's my major beef with him to be honest.

The manager being in control isn't a bad idea in itself, but he fails to consider that "the manager" is Joe f***ing Kinnear.

The system wasn't a success. The scouting was, to a degree, in that it got us Bassong (Argentine internationals aren't exactly hard to find, nor was Guthrie, and the other players have failed). The system was a recipe for conflicts, and that's what it created.

The system wasn't a success. The scouting was, to a degree, in that it got us Bassong (Argentine internationals aren't exactly hard to find, nor was Guthrie, and the other players have failed). The system was a recipe for conflicts, and that's what it created.

I'd say the system resulted in the most sensible and productive spending we have done in recent memory. I can't think of any of the players that have 'failed'.

It doesn't matter whether Colo and Jonas were 'hard to find' or not, fact is we identified them and we got them.

yes and no. i imagine the timing is more down to those above him, ie the fact he had to convene a meeting two weeks into the window to talk about funds and targets, or the fact that we seemingly bid for all our targets with a couple of hours spare instead of using 30 odd days in which to conduct business.

Hey!!!!

Hey!!!!

Are you Mike Ashley, unbelievable?

I'd say the system resulted in the most sensible and productive spending we have done in recent memory. I can't think of any of the players that have 'failed'.

It doesn't matter whether Colo and Jonas were 'hard to find' or not, fact is we identified them and we got them.

Tell me what's sensible in getting rid of all our creative players without replacing them? Milner has more assists and goals this year than Jonas has had in his whole carreer. I'm not dissing Jonas, btw, I'm just pointing out that although he's a better player in many ways, he doesn't contribute anything in attack, and no other player brought in produces anything in attack: he's been bought because he was a bargain, not because he filled a specific need in the team. Tell me what's sensible in not buying any backup for the fullback positions even though the manager has been harping on about the need for reinforcements for several months? What's sensible in paying a record amount for a defender who's too weak to succeed in the premiership (a rather poor statement signing, for the money)?

There's no sense to it, because none of the players have been bought within a vision as for how the team is supposed to play. And I've said this before, to you. For some reason, you seem to think it's irrelevant that we have a totally unbalanced team and have done nothing to rectify our actual problems. All because our two best signings were the cheapest ones.

Just heard Kinnear on SSN and Radio Newcastle before. Exactly as I expected and he talks shite again. Yesterday it was, "We went for Johnson and when we couldnt get him we went for Richardson". Now he's saying we nearly got Johnson and got the final rejection an hour before the deadline, while at the same time saying we bid for Richardson at 12, and got the no reply at half 3. Timing a bit off there Joe.

Whats the stupid cunt going on about!

Plus, what the fuck were they doing when they were waiting on the replies which were obviously going to be rejections. 3 and a half hours waiting for the obvious "no" reply from Sunderland. :dave: And we know they didn't go for anyone else because Kinnear would be shouting it from the rooftops. :tickedoff:

Just heard Kinnear on SSN and Radio Newcastle before. Exactly as I expected and he talks s**** again. Yesterday it was, "We went for Johnson and when we couldnt get him we went for Richardson". Now he's saying we nearly got Johnson and got the final rejection an hour before the deadline, while at the same time saying we bid for Richardson at 12, and got the no reply at half 3. Timing a bit off there Joe.

Whats the stupid c*** going on about!

Plus, what the f*** were they doing when they were waiting on the replies which were obviously going to be rejections. 3 and a half hours waiting for the obvious "no" reply from Sunderland. :dave: And we know they didn't go for anyone else because Kinnear would be shouting it from the rooftops. :tickedoff:

They had a month to make phone calls.

Guest michaelfoster
Derby Draw - Deadline Day Disappointment - Insomnia

Posted by Rob Lee 17 hours, 25 minutes ago

Also, on a final note, it is brilliant that Charles N'Zogbia has left the club, for not Arsenal, PSG or Chelsea, but Wigan Athletic. The French whinger stated that he would never play for NUFC again after Joe Kinnear accidentally called him Charles 'Insomnia' in a TV interview. Pathetic excuse to leave if there was one, but his moaning was becoming tedious and to see the back of this over-rated little brat is a delight. Good luck Steve Bruce at Wigan, your turn to keep this horrible little man happy...and don't get his name wrong, or else!

wp Rob :D

Guest sicko2ndbest

Journal

Meanwhile, Kinnear has hinted that the club may revisit their interest in Darren Bent if they remain in the Premier League.

He could replace Michael Owen, who Kinnear admits may leave at the end of his contract in June.

“It’s possible that we’ll go back for Darren – especially as Michael might walk out in the summer,” he admitted.

“We’d like to keep Michael, but I’m not confident that we will.”