The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Out:

Given 7m

In:

Ebondo 3.5m

Mbia 5m+

Micheal Johnson free

As well as harps getting a new contract, would be good business. However, we should not have to be selling Given to get those others in.

Really ? If I'm honest I've not seen any of them really play at all this season to make any sort of judgment other than to say Shay is worth alot more than £7m.

It would be nice to get Onouha.  He has the physique to make it unlike Taylor.

Given can be expensed if we really get all those mentioned above.  Would be even better if we can offload Smith to free up capacity for wages.

what?  taylor's physique is about the only thing no-one questions about him isn't it?

Leaving it late if you ask me.

We've just been negotiating I think and exploring all options.

We can't just go in and pay what is demanded right off the bat. It just doesn't work like that. It's the last week and so now we will hopefully move for the best deals we have found so far.

Painstaking for us the fans but good for the club overall.

I understand the problems with signing players.

We've known the issues with the first team since before the season kicked off, we could have been a bit more pro active between the windows.

Hence, leaving it late.

True.

However, the chaos that ensued between this window and the last probably interrupted the kind of preparation we should have had.

At one point we had no manager and pretty much no owner.

Guest Stephen927

Good news on the transfer front. If Ebondo is going to cost roughly £3.5m, and M'Bia somewhere in the region of £10m, that suggests to me that a fee has been agreed for Shay Given and we're simply waiting to finalise a couple of deals with the money.

Wouldn't be surprised if the signings were confirmed and unveiled on the same day that Given makes his move.

Leaving it late if you ask me.

We've just been negotiating I think and exploring all options.

We can't just go in and pay what is demanded right off the bat. It just doesn't work like that. It's the last week and so now we will hopefully move for the best deals we have found so far.

Painstaking for us the fans but good for the club overall.

I understand the problems with signing players.

We've known the issues with the first team since before the season kicked off, we could have been a bit more pro active between the windows.

Hence, leaving it late.

True.

However, the chaos that ensued between this window and the last probably interrupted the kind of preparation we should have had.

At one point we had no manager and pretty much no owner.

Dennis Wise should still be doing the leg work, correct?  It doesn't matter if we have a manager or not, his job is to find players.

what?  taylor's physique is about the only thing no-one questions about him isn't it?

Nah, if he's really that good in physique he wouldn't commit so many fouls.  Above average but definitely not top class material --- you can frequently see him out-paced or out-muscled by the opponents.

I only rate Taylor's game reading ability to be honest.  All the other aspects are not good enough.

News from Man City is that the only thing holding up the Given deal is their lack of desire to include Johnson in the deal. They feel they can get more for him if they just sell him.

We're digging our heals in and refusing to let Given go unless we get him in return.

Guest toonlass

News from Man City is that the only thing holding up the Given deal is their lack of desire to include Johnson in the deal. They feel they can get more for him if they just sell him.

We're digging our heals in and refusing to let Given go unless we get him in return.

Think its only right tbh.

Nah, if he's really that good in physique he wouldn't commit so many fouls.  Above average but definitely not top class material --- you can frequently see him out-paced or out-muscled by the opponents.

I only rate Taylor's game reading ability to be honest.  All the other aspects are not good enough.

nah, to me what you describe is all mental rather than physical - he's usually in the wrong place (so he gets beat for pace) or not concentrating and is off balance (out-muscled)

very similar physically to terry but HE has it upstairs enough to make up for his lack of pace and his head is good enough to know he has to dominate the opponent physically before they do it to you

I would  be more than happy if we ended this transfer window with this new right back, M'Bia, Johnson and Lovenkrands. They are all gambles but we need players quickly and they are all at good ages apart from the latter. Nothing goes smoothly here though so i won't take anything for granted just yet.

I think his defensive capabilities and physique are good but his decision making is generally pretty bad, and that comes down to general intelligence IMO.

Taylor has never struck me as the brightest lad and i think that might be the reason he drops so many clangers. Becoming a good CB has more to do with coaching than natural ability because it's relies on concentration, positioning and timing, and less on instinct and natural ability. Therefore you need to be relatively intelligent to understand the positional theory and apply it at the right times throughout the 90 minutes.  If you're thick you're less likely to make it as a top class CB because you don't have the speed of thought to ensure you're always in the right position at the right time.

That's my take on it anyway!