The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Butt is a ridiculous exception though. I'd take any starting midfielder from any team in the top six leagues in Europe (England, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Russia) over the tragedy that is Nicky Butt. I really would. I do think there are many better DM's in the world than Veloso who could be bought for 10 million pounds.

Butt is a ridiculous exception though. I'd take any starting midfielder from any team in the top six leagues in Europe (England, Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Russia) over the tragedy that is Nicky Butt. I really would. I do think there are many better DM's in the world than Veloso who could be bought for 10 million pounds.

Surely anyone but Amdy Faye?

Guest Heneage

Veloso has Emre written all over him

Talented, great on the ball, but hides in too many games

Emre was never great on the ball though, or great at anything come to think of it. Although I quite liked Emre as a player and his style, not suited to the English Premier League though. When we signed him and Parker I thought at last we have the right combo, one that would give us at least 5 years. Funny how things work out.

Emre not good on the ball? :doh:

Guest The Libertine

people were gutted that we didnt sign jimmy fucking bullard last week and now a £12 million rated international midfielder isnt good enough for some people?

Emre was never great on the ball though, or great at anything come to think of it. Although I quite liked Emre as a player and his style, not suited to the English Premier League though. When we signed him and Parker I thought at last we have the right combo, one that would give us at least 5 years. Funny how things work out.

The ball of his foot.

people were gutted that we didnt sign jimmy fucking bullard last week and now a £12 million rated international midfielder isnt good enough for some people?

i love it when people attribute all the different views on the forum to the same mind in order to criticise

thought Veloso looked excellent for lisbon last year against man utd and rangers, very strong, intelligent, good touch and passing. was anonymous when he played for the under 21s against our lot tho. he doesnt like a player who creates chances but that's not really his job.

Guest Howaythetoon

No, I said not great. Learn to read doilum.

people were gutted that we didnt sign jimmy f***ing bullard last week and now a £12 million rated international midfielder isnt good enough for some people?

I'm not saying I wouldn't have Veloso at Newcastle. He'd be an obvious improvement. But I do think he'd be a poor signing for 10-12 million pounds.

people were gutted that we didnt sign jimmy f***ing bullard last week and now a £12 million rated international midfielder isnt good enough for some people?

I'm not saying I wouldn't have Veloso at Newcastle. He'd be an obvious improvement. But I do think he'd be a poor signing for 10-12 million pounds.

Agree with that.  At the moment we cannot afford a 10-12m flop.  Would rather spend it on 3 players.

Guest Howaythetoon

If we splashed 12m on an unknown and inexperienced player (in terms of the Premiership) I'd question why we never went in for Bullard at half the price but double the Prem experience.

If we splashed 12m on an unknown and inexperienced player (in terms of the Premiership) I'd question why we never went in for Bullard at half the price but double the Prem experience.

According to the Journal we wanted him but wouldnt pay his wages.

Guest Howaythetoon

And yet we handed both Ameobi and Nicky Butt new deals...

It does read there are a lack of savvy business people at Newcastle.

Yes, but to be fair it was rumoured that Bullard wanted 60k a week would you pay that?

Guest Howaythetoon

Yes, but to be fair it was rumoured that Bullard wanted 60k a week would you pay that?

I would and I'd offset that by getting rid of Butt and Ameobi and any other dead wood earning a wage all the same.

Unfortunetly we'd have a similar situation as the one with Butt and Geremi (high earners, little contributors) a few years down the line with a Bullard, but you take your chance.

He's not worth 60K a week of course and its easy to sit here and say yes I would and this is how I'd do it, but these things can be worked out with a bit of savvy and the will to do such business.

Guest The Libertine

i love it when people attribute all the different views on the forum to the same mind in order to criticise

did i say "everyone" anywhere?

Guest Howaythetoon

Bullard is 31 this year and Hull gave him a 4.5 year contract. I think he's a decent player but considering the deal he clearly wanted I think we've done right not to bother.

He's 31? I thought he was 28/29 or something. Although he looks about 45 :D

Bullard is 31 this year and Hull gave him a 4.5 year contract. I think he's a decent player but considering the deal he clearly wanted I think we've done right not to bother.

Mental contract