mackems 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 25/10/08 - post-match depression from page 18

Dave

Martins basically played left wing yesterday. Looked great under Keegan but will once again slump to mediocrity with a manager who has no idea how to utilise such a plyer

he didn't look great under keegan. fleetingly looked great under roeder. he didn't play left wing yesterday just that we mainly had possession over that side and his poor movement off the ball gives little option for much else.

Joey Barton was at the centre of controversy again yesterday but for once the Newcastle United midfielder was blameless.

On a day his side lost 2-1, their first defeat at Sunderland in 28 years, Barton was jeered and spat at, with coins and plastic bottles thrown in his direction. The incidents were among several that marred a jubilant derby day for the home team. Because of a six-game ban, Barton had played only three minutes since his release from prison in July. He was named as a substitute and was warming up when the Sunderland fans let fly. Police instructed him to return to the dugout. The player initially objected and kissed his badge at one stage. Witnesses said he had been spat at by the crowd and he handed what appeared to be a coin to stewards.

Sunderland now look certain to face an FA inquiry. One fan was detained after confronting the Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given when Kieran Richardson scored the winner. However, the most serious trouble was after the final whistle. Some Sunderland fans invaded the pitch, mobbing players. They then approached the Newcastle end in the South Stand, taunting the away supporters. A small number of Newcastle fans also came onto the pitch and there were some scuffles.

“I’m not really sure what went on at the end,” Sunderland’s manager, Roy Keane, said. “If you think I’m going to criticise Sunderland supporters then you are wrong."

Roy Keane baffles me at the best of times.He gave out about fans because there too quiet while eating prawn sandwiches but then when fans cause trouble and invade the pitch he says there brilliant.I supose this the guy who was captain of his country and turned his back on them,PRICK!

Martins basically played left wing yesterday. Looked great under Keegan but will once again slump to mediocrity with a manager who has no idea how to utilise such a plyer

he didn't look great under keegan. fleetingly looked great under roeder. he didn't play left wing yesterday just that we mainly had possession over that side and his poor movement off the ball gives little option for much else.

with Kinnear as manager has hasn't a chance in hell, under Keegan he was scoring goals and terrorising defenders

with Kinnear as manager has hasn't a chance in hell, under Keegan he was scoring goals and terrorising defenders

aye righto

aye righto

goals and assists generally dont lie concerning such matters

aye righto

goals and assists generally dont lie concerning such matters

give me overall play that i see over stats.

and as for goals and assists don't lie...geremi

Guest optimistic nit

tbh i agree with mardas, barton looked good when he came on. he's going to be good for the next few games as well imo, with all the determination he have, it would be good to have someone like keegan to channel that into productivity though.

tbh i agree with mardas, barton looked good when he came on. he's going to be good for the next few games as well imo, with all the determination he have, it would be good to have someone like keegan to channel that into productivity though.

what choo agreeing with me abaout ?

Guest optimistic nit

fucking cunts, im fucking shit faced fucking mackem cunts throwing fucking coins at me, dickheads, my fucking seat was the last one before the divide

you should have fucking twatted them [/kev] ;)

f***ing c***s, im f***ing s*** faced f***ing mackem c***s throwing f***ing coins at me, dickheads, my f***ing seat was the last one before the divide

you should have f***ing twatted them [/kev] ;)

I was told within the first five fucking minutes that if I swore again I'd be arrested so had to fucking bite me tongue for the rest of the game, the fucking dick head copper next to me thought he was fucking Arnie Schwarzenegger, dick head.

We didn't play awfully, and it's certainly an improvement on what we were dishing up before the Everton game.

Let's face the truth though, as Shay said himself, at the moment they're a better squad than us.

We pushed them until the end, and it took a wonderful free kick to beat us.

They fully deserved their win, but our 28 year run had to end at some point.

Must beat West Brom now though, it's a crucial, crucial match.

No way in the world they have a better squad than us ours may not be that big but there is certainly lot more quality than most teams in the Premiership. Our loss was down to a managerial cock up.

Oh for fucks sake.

There's been nothing wrong with Joe Kinnears management, why the fuck are our supporters do keen to sink the boot in and blame someone?

And those suggesting that we wouldn't have lost if Keegan was in charge are deluded. It wouldnt' have made a difference.

They played better than us, you know, it happens.

As for their squad being better than ours, I think you either seriously over-rate our players or seriously under-rate theirs.

We didn't play awfully, and it's certainly an improvement on what we were dishing up before the Everton game.

Let's face the truth though, as Shay said himself, at the moment they're a better squad than us.

No way in the world they have a better squad than us ours may not be that big but there is certainly lot more quality than most teams in the Premiership. Our loss was down to a managerial cock up.

Oh for fucks sake.

There's been nothing wrong with Joe Kinnears management, why the fuck are our supporters do keen to sink the boot in and blame someone?

And those suggesting that we wouldn't have lost if Keegan was in charge are deluded. It wouldnt' have made a difference.

As for their squad being better than ours, I think you either seriously over-rate our players or seriously under-rate theirs.

Agree with Joe Kinnear doing a good job overall, but he really did screw up the substitutions in the last couple matches. Their squad is hardly a different class to ours, and had we started with Jonas and Barton we probably wouldn't have to bypass the midfield every time we tried to attack.

The only thing I got wrong about this match(when I predicted defeat on another thread earlier this week)was the scoreline - I though they would win by 2 clear goals and that Cisse would cause the Newcastle defence problems ; but for the woodwork stopping Cisse scoring twice, I would have been spot-on, but it doesn't make the result any easier to stomach...

There is no question that they are a better side than NUFC at the moment, and they proved it on the day - they had 60% of possession in the second-half, so arguments about us 'competing well' etc etc are just grasping at straws ; We could have lost 4-2 quite easily - and that's allowing for a bad miss by Ameobi.

We lack real bite in the middle of the field, and we lack real pace up front - these are the areas where they were superior ; they won more of the ball, constantly caught us on the break in the second half, and in short, they wanted it more.

Jonas LOOKS good when he's on the ball, but I've yet to see him do/cause any damage in the opposing penalty area ; Duff flatters to deceive and Ameobi is, as we know, not a Prem striker. Too many Newcastle players were either caught in possession, or gave the ball away ; the Free Kick from which they scored the winner was conceded by Butt(another rash tackle)but he had little option - the attack came from a tame surrender of the ball within the Newcastle half of the field.....Taylor continues to be caught on his heels by forwards.

The Sunderland players were more fired up for the game(hardly surprising after 28 years of failure at home in Derby games), but I think that they have displayed this characteristic all season ; Keane has clearly done a good job in the motivation department and although people like Cisse & Diouf are not long term prospects, they retain enough ability to be an asset and improve the side as a whole.

We looked what we are - a side with some quality players(not enough) in the middle of an off-field crisis who are toothless when Owen is out.

The side was only half-built and the results of this are plain for all to see - now that Redknapp is taking over Spurs, I expect them to improve considerably and, if we are not careful, we will be rooted at the bottom of the table by the time the club is taken over.

It is going to be a really nail-biting finish to the season, and this game has proven that, unlike one reply to my forecast last week; 'The only way is UP'....NOT.

It is UP when you deserve it, and NUFC are where they deserve to be as a side.

Jonas LOOKS good when he's on the ball, but I've yet to see him do/cause any damage in the opposing penalty area

What? Every time he plays he delivers plenty into the box, its not his fault that no one's there to finish them off.

Oh for fucks sake.

Agree with Joe Kinnear doing a good job overall, but he really did screw up the substitutions in the last couple matches. Their squad is hardly a different class to ours, and had we started with Jonas and Barton we probably wouldn't have to bypass the midfield every time we tried to attack.

Their squad isn't a different class, no.

It's probably a little bit better at the moment though (with how their players are playing etc).

Derbies are always close fought games and always come down to who performs better on the day, this time it was Sunderland.

Jonas and Barton weren't ready to start, them starting on the bench was fair enough. Disappointed we didn't see them a bit earlier though.

I wouldn't say they're better than us.

When you pull away the skin, and look beneath the fact it was a derby match, it was two average mid-table sides (imo), and the home-side edged it 2-1. I think we'll do the c*nts up here in January and still finish ahead of them. At the end of the day it's only 6 points in it.

Sunderland boss Keane: Not time to gloat

Sunderland boss Roy Keane says it's not time to gloat after their 2-1 derby victory over Newcastle United.

"If it means we are making progress, then yes, of course," said Keane after being asked about the importance of the result.

"But we have to remember how many years Newcastle and Middlesbrough have been ahead of this football club.

"We can't get on the high horse and start thinking we have achieved anything, far from it.

"As I keep saying, it is another small step in what we are trying to achieve at the football club.

"The bottom line is, people might not remember, but we got three points. Hopefully, that will get us up the table and try to get into the group that's ahead of us because we stayed up last year and the next part of my plan was to try to get into the group ahead of us.

"Even people who haven't got a clue about football can see we are making progress."

Oh for fucks sake.

I felt the subs could have come on a bit earlier, but starting them would have been a bit dodgy. I think Joe may have had half an eye on the West Brom game, when they might well start.