mackems 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 25/10/08 - post-match depression from page 18

Dave

I've not read the last 18 or so pages, but Nicky Butt's tackle was totally necessary.  He would have been clear through on goal otherwise.  The fact that the wind carried the ball into the back of the next was the fault of the powers upstairs, rather than that of a well timed professional foul by an experienced player who thought that there was less chance of Sunderland scoring from a free kick than there was a clear one-on-one on goal.

I've been saying this all afternoon.

I've not read the last 18 or so pages, but Nicky Butt's tackle was totally necessary.  He would have been clear through on goal otherwise.  The fact that the wind carried the ball into the back of the next was the fault of the powers upstairs, rather than that of a well timed professional foul by an experienced player who thought that there was less chance of Sunderland scoring from a free kick than there was a clear one-on-one on goal.

What about the fact Butt just watched Diouf play the one-two without even making any attempt to track back with him, instead just letting him go himself and then being forced to bring him down for the free kick.

Guest guinness_fiend

What about the fact Butt just watched Diouf play the one-two without even making any attempt to track back with him, instead just letting him go himself and then being forced to bring him down for the free kick.

Is this the same Nicky Butt that had a pain killing injection and the manager left him on?  If so, then I agree with his decision to prevent someone who had already run through The Water Tight Newcastle Defence , without any difficulty, from scoring a goal.

I have said this before, you can tell that Butt is well bred, as is Geremi.  They are class players who are past their prime.  I would not pick them if I had the choice, but Butt made a professional and well-advised foul.  The free kick went in, ah well - a 50:50 chance.  Diouf had a 60/40 chance of scoring one-on-one.  Shit happens.

Is this the same Nicky Butt that had a pain killing injection and the manager left him on?  If so, then I agree with his decision to prevent someone who had already run through The Water Tight Newcastle Defence , without any difficulty, from scoring a goal.

I don't disagree that he done what he had to do, but the problem is that he could have prevented it in the first place by actually tracking Diouf's run rather than stopping and watching him run through. And if his ankle was so bad he couldn't keep running an extra 5 yards then he shouldn't have been on the park....i'm sure Kinnear would have replaced him if Butt said he couldn't continue!

Shit performance, first half we did well to come back into it, Shola looked decent at times winning the ball in the air for flick ons and did well for the goal, firstly winning the free kick and actually scoring a header, which for him is a miracle.

Second half was poor, we looked edgy and Martins had one of his "what's a football" days, couldn't control it for love nor money and only a small part of that is down to the wind. Geremi was to blame for the goal IMO, lost out too easily to Diouf, Guthrie couldn't take him down because he'd been booked and Butt had to clip him or else he would have scored. The strike was impressive unfortunately.

Gutierrez and Barton did more in the short time they were on that most, Surely N'Zogbia should have come on as an attacking option at left back, but maybe Diamond Joe thought Enrique was a better idea....for some reason. Anyway, 3 points on Tuesday please let's forget about this debacle and move on with our lives.

Also, their fans invading the pitch at the end, that for me sums up how sad they are - the highlight of their season has been and gone and it's October. We better fuck them up in January

Guest JamesyJazz

s*** performance, first half we did well to come back into it, Shola looked decent at times winning the ball in the air for flick ons and did well for the goal, firstly winning the free kick and actually scoring a header, which for him is a miracle.

Second half was poor, we looked edgy and Martins had one of his "what's a football" days, couldn't control it for love nor money and only a small part of that is down to the wind. Geremi was to blame for the goal IMO, lost out too easily to Diouf, Guthrie couldn't take him down because he'd been booked and Butt had to clip him or else he would have scored. The strike was impressive unfortunately.

Gutierrez and Barton did more in the short time they were on that most, Surely N'Zogbia should have come on as an attacking option at left back, but maybe Diamond Joe thought Enrique was a better idea....for some reason. Anyway, 3 points on Tuesday please let's forget about this debacle and move on with our lives.

Also, their fans invading the pitch at the end, that for me sums up how sad they are - the highlight of their season has been and gone and it's October. We better f*** them up in January

Agree with all you've said.That freekick by Richardson(I hate to admit) was sheer class,pity Geremi couldn't take some like that once in a while.In fact who else do we have for dead ball situations?Fair enough Geremi provided the passes today and on Monday but his general ratio is shocking.Oh for a Laurent Robert type ball  hitter!

Richardson's free kick was a freak tbh. He was hitting it one way, but a gust of wind changed it's speed and trajectory by quite a lot.

Possibly, but how often do you see strikes these days change direction? Wind or no wind, it was hit at something like 73mph

Richardson's free kick was a freak tbh. He was hitting it one way, but a gust of wind changed it's speed and trajectory by quite a lot.

Possibly, but how often do you see strikes these days change direction? Wind or no wind, it was hit at something like 73mph

Does that change the fact he's a little mackem shit? No.

He's crap but he is a good free kick taker, just look at last week against Fulham.

Our direct free kicks by comparison, I totally despair. Total and utter waste of time, if the free kick is vaguely central and closer than 40 yards, we might as well just give the opposition the ball back and do away with the rigmarole of the wall and Geremi hitting some kid in Row Z.

He's crap but he is a good free kick taker, just look at last week against Fulham.

Our direct free kicks by comparison, I totally despair. Total and utter waste of time, if the free kick is vaguely central and closer than 40 yards, we might as well just give the opposition the ball back and do away with the rigmarole of the wall and Geremi hitting some kid in Row Z.

We miss Robert & Solano.  :weep:

Guest Washington_Mag

We miss Robert & Solano.  :weep:

Our loss is Larissa's gain

He's good with dead balls but that one today definitely caught the wind. We are crap from all dead ball situations. I'm amazed we scored from one today. The days of Robert and Solano lining them up are sadly missed.  :-[

I don't know why we don't try Martins just leathering the sodding thing goalwards like Richardson did. We had a free kick about five yards behind where he hit his from and typically Geremi just wafted a soft one into the wall. He's no Shearer accuracy wise but with his shot power, Martins just has to hit the target and he's got a chance of it either beating the keeper or forcing a parry.

We were dominated physically in midfield for most of the game, so we can't complain about the result.

Bassong was in trouble and they targeted him throughout. They pumped virtually everything down his wing. It's not his fault he's really a CB, but Enrique looks more confident out there.

Martins had a mare. Shola did well. Basically in a game when space and time is very limited Martins is shaky.

Jonas and Barton did well when they came on. We've missed them both.