Stadium of Light - Time for the FA to act

Benwell Lad

Guest Geordiesned

And what about England v Turkey? I can't remember one other game in that 6-7 years when England played their matches around the country where anything like that happened.

Aye that's the game I was thinking about. Okay not a Sunderland match but the majority inside were Mackems and the pitch invasion that night had nothing to do with any long wait for a victory.

And they didn't invade the pitch when Cateron or whatever his name was scored first for them in a 1-1 draw about 8 years ago

Edit - and 28 years has everything to do with it.

When ratboy scored the first goal against us there in 2000 a kid ran the length of the pitch to try and get in our end with no intervention.

As far as I can remember every goal they've score against us ther has seen some kids on the pitch.

A few bairns celebrating a win would be fine imo (though annoying). "Hard" lads looking for bother as some did is worth comment after the number of repeat events.

And they didn't invade the pitch when Cateron or whatever his name was scored first for them in a 1-1 draw about 8 years ago

When ratboy scored the first goal against us there in 2000 a kid ran the length of the pitch to try and get in our end with no intervention.

As far as I can remember every goal they've score against us ther has seen some kids on the pitch.

A few bairns celebrating a win would be fine imo (though annoying). "Hard" lads looking for bother as some did is worth comment after the number of repeat events.

I was standing behind the goal when that Cateron scored and no one ran on the pitch.

PS Cateron was not Ratboy

I was standing behind the goal when that Cateron scored and no one ran on the pitch.

The two in the first one and the "equaliser" that never was certainly brought people on as did Hoytes I think - you may be right on that one but my point is that it certainly wasn't the first time and it wasn't the first time the coppers have had to wade it at the bottom at either side either.

It happened it England v Turkey - I remember that. That was also the game with racist chanting against the Turks.

Slaven was actually very fair tonight - called it as he saw it and has to be applauded for that IMO.

Ameobi and Bernard were both subjected to racist abuse at the SOS in recent years too - Shola even got it playing for the U-21s.

I dont know what you're trying to achieving in sticking up for the mackems. Is it some sort of "ohhh i'm too clever and sophisticated so will rise above all this petty local rivalry and bickering"

Give your knob a polish.

I dont know what you're trying to achieving in sticking up for the mackems. Is it some sort of "ohhh i'm too clever and sophisticated so will rise above all this petty local rivalry and bickering"

Give your knob a polish.

Its no wonder this world is in trouble  :rolleyes:

Is no one allowed to put a reasoned point of view on here if it dares not to condemn all makems to the depths of hell.

Give your knob a polish.

was that the last game at joker park ?. pretty sure most,if not all the games at the stadium of tedium have had mackems on the pitch after they've scored.

Regarding the latest pitch invasions, ticketless supporters paying corrupt staff to gain entry and outbreak of violence in the Stadium of Light on Saturday, last night's local ITV news programme gave it about 30 seconds and included some quotes from Roy Keane (predictable blarney) and an interview with a Sunderland fanzine editor who said the invasions were harmless. I'm not so sure Shay Given or anyone else who was being confronted would think the same. Not to mention any player on the receiving end of their regular racist abuse.

This happens every time Newcastle or Middlesbrough visit Sunderland and until those connected with Sunderland Football Club stop turning a blind eye to the problem and the FA punish them appropriately it will continue.

The thing is, if we'd been watching, say, Sevilla v Real Betis on a Sunday night and we'd seen similar scenes, I know for a fact people over here would be saying, "if that had happened over here we'd have bans", etc.

Sunderland should be fined pretty heavily, and made to play a few home games behind closed-doors imo. Would happen on the continent.

The thing is, if we'd been watching, say, Sevilla v Real Betis on a Sunday night and we'd seen similar scenes, I know for a fact people over here would be saying, "if that had happened over here we'd have bans", etc.

Sunderland should be fined pretty heavily, and made to play a few home games behind closed-doors imo. Would happen on the continent.

It's not like it's a one off either, this has gone on year after year at the SOL and the people who run the club just bury their heads in the sand and ignore it.

Mind with the FA being so soft on them who can really blame them.

Regarding the latest pitch invasions, ticketless supporters paying corrupt staff to gain entry and outbreak of violence in the Stadium of Light on Saturday, last night's local ITV news programme gave it about 30 seconds and included some quotes from Roy Keane (predictable blarney) and an interview with a Sunderland fanzine editor who said the invasions were harmless. I'm not so sure Shay Given or anyone else who was being confronted would think the same. Not to mention any player on the receiving end of their regular racist abuse.

This happens every time Newcastle or Middlesbrough visit Sunderland and until those connected with Sunderland Football Club stop turning a blind eye to the problem and the FA punish them appropriately it will continue.

Compare it with the shit we got for the Mido stuff at Boro.

Guest nufc_kev

Brilliant article in the Independent:

So the beast has broken cover again. The stench of yob anarchy is back on the terraces and the field. It is a time, you might think, for every football man of any genuine stature to take his hands from his eyes and exert some of the influence gained in all the years of growing reputation and wealth.

Someone like Roy Keane, certainly, someone to show that for all his own offences against discipline and decent order in his playing career, he knows now he cannot afford to pussyfoot on such a vital issue, not as the manager of a club whose fans had just spilt on to the pitch spitting their hatred.

Here, surely, was the chance for Keane to confirm his new status as a man of the future, fit to hold the highest office, perhaps at Old Trafford, and maybe even to atone for some of the atrocities of his past, and not least the cold-blooded assertion that he had attempted to ruin the career of an opponent against whom he held a grudge.

But then what did we hear from the scourge of prawn sandwich-munching in the corporate box? Did we get an urgent call to turn back another dark age of football, when the idea of taking your children to a stadium amounts to shocking irresponsibility? No, what we had was a statement so feeble, so self-serving, it made a mockery of what Keane, the man of hard and ferociously fashioned beliefs on how the game should be played and run, is supposed to represent.

Keane's reaction was so spineless it seemed to underwrite all those years of Clockwork Orange violence that made English football the pariah of world sport.

He said, "I hope they go easy on us. I hope it will not take away from what the players achieved. No one wants to see supporters on the pitch, trust me, and we will focus on security. I'm not really sure what went on at the end. If you think I'm going to sit here and criticise Sunderland supporters, then you are wrong."

It was a stunning abdication of responsibility and if the Football Association does not see it as an invitation to take some meaningful action, some attempt to lay down significant deterrents before the rabble take hold again, it too will be guilty of the most appaling complacency.

Keane may say that he is responsible solely for team affairs but that would be nonsense. He has been charged with remaking a football club, giving it new competitive values and setting a professional tone, and in many respects he has been doing a brilliant job.

But this was a test of his mettle as a significant figure in a game to which, as a player, he brought both great glory and disfigurement. What would the achievement of Keane's team in beating Newcastle United, of all teams, have meant if it had accompanied, as it could so easily have been, by the death or maiming of some kid caught in the chaos that came at the end of the game. Would Keane have kept his head so firmly rooted in the sand then? Would he not have been susceptible to the idea that he was completely out of step with all that had happened so sickeningly around him?

When he led a pack of Manchester United players in pursuit of a referee he displayed a shocking lack of control and leadership. After making his spine-chilling, premeditated assault on Alf Inge-Haaland, he wrote in his autobiography that he had experienced not a sliver of regret. Sins of passion, his admirers might say, warrior sins, all washed away when the action was over and he could take his place as a statesman of the game that rewarded him so well.

Washed away? Certainly not at the weekend; no, it was as though those sins congealed around a failure to understand that decent behaviour on and off the field is not just desirable but lifeblood.

Joey Barton was the target of the Sunderland fans. They spat at him and threw bottles and coins when he warmed up on the touchline. Of course, he is not an admirable figure. But on this occasion who performed most despicably, the player who provocatively kissed his shirt in response to the jeers or the mob who baited him for behaviour which, at least to some extent, they were in the course of reproducing?

What happened at the Stadium of Darkness was that the fans of both Sunderland and Newcastle attempted to establish mob rule. They fought on the pitch after breaking through cordons of police and security men.

Roy Keane seemed to believe that the proper response was a review of security rather than anything that might just cloud a famous victory. He was utterly wrong. What is required now is something that will dig into the consciousness of the hooligans who for so long terrorised English football, something that will set a standard of reaction to all life-threatening mob behaviour. It needs to be quite unambiguous about the determination to fight a problem that still, after the dormant years, is a deadly threat to the national game.

The Stadium of Darkness should be closed down for two home games. It would send the right message into every corner of football. It might even make Roy Keane think about the immutable difference between right and wrong.

So the beast has broken cover again. The stench of yob anarchy is back on the terraces and the field. It is a time, you might think, for every football man of any genuine stature to take his hands from his eyes and exert some of the influence gained in all the years of growing reputation and wealth.

Someone like Roy Keane, certainly, someone to show that for all his own offences against discipline and decent order in his playing career, he knows now he cannot afford to pussyfoot on such a vital issue, not as the manager of a club whose fans had just spilt on to the pitch spitting their hatred.

Here, surely, was the chance for Keane to confirm his new status as a man of the future, fit to hold the highest office, perhaps at Old Trafford, and maybe even to atone for some of the atrocities of his past, and not least the cold-blooded assertion that he had attempted to ruin the career of an opponent against whom he held a grudge.

But then what did we hear from the scourge of prawn sandwich-munching in the corporate box? Did we get an urgent call to turn back another dark age of football, when the idea of taking your children to a stadium amounts to shocking irresponsibility? No, what we had was a statement so feeble, so self-serving, it made a mockery of what Keane, the man of hard and ferociously fashioned beliefs on how the game should be played and run, is supposed to represent.

Keane's reaction was so spineless it seemed to underwrite all those years of Clockwork Orange violence that made English football the pariah of world sport.

He said, "I hope they go easy on us. I hope it will not take away from what the players achieved. No one wants to see supporters on the pitch, trust me, and we will focus on security. I'm not really sure what went on at the end. If you think I'm going to sit here and criticise Sunderland supporters, then you are wrong."

It was a stunning abdication of responsibility and if the Football Association does not see it as an invitation to take some meaningful action, some attempt to lay down significant deterrents before the rabble take hold again, it too will be guilty of the most appaling complacency.

Keane may say that he is responsible solely for team affairs but that would be nonsense. He has been charged with remaking a football club, giving it new competitive values and setting a professional tone, and in many respects he has been doing a brilliant job.

But this was a test of his mettle as a significant figure in a game to which, as a player, he brought both great glory and disfigurement. What would the achievement of Keane's team in beating Newcastle United, of all teams, have meant if it had accompanied, as it could so easily have been, by the death or maiming of some kid caught in the chaos that came at the end of the game. Would Keane have kept his head so firmly rooted in the sand then? Would he not have been susceptible to the idea that he was completely out of step with all that had happened so sickeningly around him?

When he led a pack of Manchester United players in pursuit of a referee he displayed a shocking lack of control and leadership. After making his spine-chilling, premeditated assault on Alf Inge-Haaland, he wrote in his autobiography that he had experienced not a sliver of regret. Sins of passion, his admirers might say, warrior sins, all washed away when the action was over and he could take his place as a statesman of the game that rewarded him so well.

Washed away? Certainly not at the weekend; no, it was as though those sins congealed around a failure to understand that decent behaviour on and off the field is not just desirable but lifeblood.

Joey Barton was the target of the Sunderland fans. They spat at him and threw bottles and coins when he warmed up on the touchline. Of course, he is not an admirable figure. But on this occasion who performed most despicably, the player who provocatively kissed his shirt in response to the jeers or the mob who baited him for behaviour which, at least to some extent, they were in the course of reproducing?

What happened at the Stadium of Darkness was that the fans of both Sunderland and Newcastle attempted to establish mob rule. They fought on the pitch after breaking through cordons of police and security men.

Roy Keane seemed to believe that the proper response was a review of security rather than anything that might just cloud a famous victory. He was utterly wrong. What is required now is something that will dig into the consciousness of the hooligans who for so long terrorised English football, something that will set a standard of reaction to all life-threatening mob behaviour. It needs to be quite unambiguous about the determination to fight a problem that still, after the dormant years, is a deadly threat to the national game.

The Stadium of Darkness should be closed down for two home games. It would send the right message into every corner of football. It might even make Roy Keane think about the immutable difference between right and wrong.

What Keane said in response to the violence.

"Nobody likes to see fans on the pitch, trust me, but hopefully the FA will go easy on us because the fans have to enjoy it.

If one or two ran on the pitch, well they've had plenty of time to wait for the chance."

Class. That's going in my sig for now.

Guest Stephen927

Apologies if anyone thinks this is in bad taste, but couldn't help but raise a wry smile at this...

One Mackem still aint seen his team beat us at home in 28 years....and never will!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/10/28/sunderland-fan-died-at-stadium-before-derby-72703-22133557/

:iamatwat:

Aye, really funny.

Apologies if anyone thinks this is in bad taste, but couldn't help but raise a wry smile at this...

One Mackem still aint seen his team beat us at home in 28 years....and never will!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/10/28/sunderland-fan-died-at-stadium-before-derby-72703-22133557/

:iamatwat:

Aye, really funny.

Thats a pretty sick response that,you scum bag! edit: johnson293  scum.