Stadium of Light - Time for the FA to act

Benwell Lad

The "worst pitch riot ever in the Premier League" says one dodgy paper prone to sensationalism. The headline is cringe-worthy - "World Wor 3".

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/article53046.ece

FOOTBALL descended into anarchy at the Stadium of Light yesterday as hundreds of hate-filled thugs went on a violent rampage.

In the worst pitch riot ever seen in the Premier League, warring Sunderland and Newcastle yobs traded punches inside the stadium.

Police made 29 arrests and the FA promised to probe the sickening fan violence in which:

* A mounted police woman was struck by a FIREWORK.

* Another cop’s wrist was BROKEN.

* Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton was pelted with BOTTLES and COINS and then incited Sunderland fans by openly kissing his club badge.

* Seats were ripped out and hurled on the pitch.

Northumbria police chief Neil Mackay said: “It is difficult to comprehend the mentality of this. There will be an inquiry to identify and arrest those who committed offences.”

The FA have condemned the scenes which saw riot police in a desperate battle to regain control as warring fans fought on the pitch following the Black Cats' historic victory.

The trouble flared after Barton had to be ushered back to the Newcastle dugout by police after kissing his badge in front of home fans

Toon keeper Shay Given was then confronted by two supporters on the pitch — after Kieran Richardson fired in Sunderland’s winner — before referee Mike Riley ran to the player’s assistance

A pitch invasion at full-time by hundreds of supporters from both sides culminated in violent clashes as stewards and police lost control.

An investigation was immediately launched by the FA, whose spokesman said: “We will be speaking to the local police as well as both clubs for their version of events and their observations.

“Our position is clear and consistent. There is a legal process for any fans identified, arrested and charged which we respect.

“Should anybody be found guilty, we would encourage Sunderland and Newcastle to take the most stringent action possible.

“We would expect the minimum to be a lifetime banning order.

“We are appalled at such scenes and will do everything in our power to make sure that the strongest action is taken by liaising with the police and officials from both clubs.”

Roy Keane, who led his side to their first home victory over Newcastle since 1980, called for leniency.

He said: “I hope they go easy on us. I hope it won’t take away from what the players achieved.

“Nobody wants to see supporters on the pitch, trust me and we will focus on security.

“I’m not really sure what went on at the end. If you think I am going to sit here and criticise Sunderland supporters, then you are wrong.

“I am sure the FA will look at it but listen, I was just focusing on the game, particularly at the end.

"But football is an emotional game . . . ”

As for the impact of the result, Keane said: “We have to remember how many years Newcastle and Middlesbrough have been ahead of this club.

“We can’t get on the high horse and start thinking we have achieved anything, far from it. As I keep saying, it is another small step in what we are trying to achieve at the football club.

“Even people who haven’t got a clue about football can see we are making progress.”

Barton had three bottles thrown at him when he warmed up on the touchline. He was eventually surrounded by riot police, kissed his badge and was told to go back to the substitutes’ bench.

Geordie manager Joe Kinnear claimed not to have witnessed the incident and said: “I didn’t see it. I was watching the game. I always had in mind for him to play. He is a Newcastle player.

“He is in the squad. I am here to win as many games as I possibly can. He did very well for us.

Murder

“Whatever happened prior to that doesn’t bother me. I didn’t know there was any police there. What were they doing there?

“It is not fair. It is not Joey Barton’s fault. He has been in the thick of everything this week.

“Every mass murder that’s happened in this country this week, his name has been associated with it.

“I didn’t see the trouble. It is up to the FA to sort it out.”

Sunderland had led through a Djibril Cisse 20th-minute strike, only for Shola Ameobi’s powerful back-post header to draw the visitors level 10 minutes later.

Applaud

But with 15 minutes left, Richardson’s swerving peach of a free-kick flew in and Toon keeper Given was taunted by two home supporters on the pitch.

Ref Riley ran to diffuse the incident before the duo were led away. However the violence was merely suspended until the final whistle.

Sunderland fans invaded the pitch once their historic win was concluded — and ran towards the Newcastle end.

Geordie fans met them and the two sets of fans fought on the pitch. Players were still on the turf and Barton walked to applaud the away section, provoking more bottle throwing.

Riot police were outside the ground and stuck in the middle of the away section as the situation escalated.

I love the way that they insinuate Barton was provoking everyone by applauding the away supporters.

Why people even read these bog papers on line is beyond me.

At which other football club are subs not allowed to warm up at pitchside?  This bunch are backward, plain and simple.  It is difficult to help the afflicted. 

The whole lot should be on camera as that stadium has more cameras than a bus full of chinese tourists.  Lets see if Northumbria Police can publish pictures of the missile throwers before they screw this investigation up.

Expect no sanctions on Stadium of Litter, but Barton to get reprimanded for wiping his mouth on the club badge.  :rolleyes:

Guest Geordiesned

"A pitch invasion at full-time by hundreds of supporters from both sides culminated in violent clashes as stewards and police lost control."

Blatant lies! I only saw ONE Newcastle fan on the pitch!

Interesting to see if the guy writing this was actually at the game because most of it is exaggering past the point of bullshit.

1. 'Geordie fans met them and the two sets of fans fought on the pitch' - Incorrect. One, or two nobheads at a push, jumped out from our end but no more.

2. 'Riot police stuck in the middle of the away section' - because this was where the riots and rule breakers were . . . . again no.

3. 'pitch invasion at full-time by hundreds of supporters from both sides' - unless there were geordies jumping up and down wearing red and white shite, this is again lies.

4. 'after Barton had to be ushered back to the Newcastle dugout by police ' - he was told to move away from a particular area which he did by his own accord.

5. 'Seats were ripped out and hurled on the pitch' - again no evidence of this.

6. I got bored of going through the article . . . . . . . .

Now I'm not saying the away support was well behaved and did nothing wrong, but the SAFC stewarding was weak and the homeless were allowed to get away with . . . . again. The amount of coins, bottles and other objects thrown at the box to the left of our support (by the unwashed) during our goal celebrations was a repeat of when Ant and Dec sat up there during the 4-1 victory - again this goes unmentioned and hasnt been acted upon. And where were the stewards at the end of the game either around the pitch or pushing their fans out of the exits? It took over 15-20 mins to get the group of orphans to the left of us towards the exit and even then, they were allowed to confront our fans face to face (seperated by a metre high railing and a handful of female / older police members). The amount of trouble could have easily escalated dramatcally if we weren't too busy laughing at their 'cup final' celebrations.

Yet again we came away from the SoS laughing at their expense - we didn't need to humiliate them on the field as they did enough to humliate themselves. Lets all laugh at sunderland!!!

I hope that any person found seen throwing seats, coins, bottles, cans and incredibably a drain from the pitch!! at fellow humans get banned for life.  Let us not get into, this was Sunderland orientated.  Yes, they've fans invaded the pitch and were provocotive, but for 2 sets of chav's hooligans and hooligan wannabies to set about each other because they live 10 miles away from each other in the name of football is total bollox. 

As for the cowards that threw coins or bottles at innocent fans then you should be ashamed.  To the guy in front who was struck with pound coin in the temple, you know it hurt why retaliate by hurling anything you had in your pockets at innocent people.

Ive had it with away games!!  I find days with chavs shouting abuse at opposing fans with no interest in football a growing trend.  The football is something that go's on in the background these days..........

Iam I just gettin old or has football just died??  RIP  :no:

Give over, I've been to Sunderland when we've had hundreds of our fans fighting in the home end, today didn't look good but it's been a lot worse.

That's going back at least a decade, and the majority of Toon fans went in the home end simply because the away end was sold out. If you're attacked when you're in there, what are you going to do but defend yourself.

I see what Eires' no 1 is saying. I mean songs like Keano w**ks his dog are pathetic, as much as i dislike SAFC.

That's going back at least a decade, and the majority of Toon fans went in the home end simply because the away end was sold out. If you're attacked when you're in there, what are you going to do but defend yourself.

I see what Eires' no 1 is saying. I mean songs like Keano w**ks his dog are pathetic, as much as i dislike SAFC.

It's going back more than a decade but the point still stands, it's been worse in the past.  The year hundreads of our fans were in the Fulwell was to have a fight with the home support, I knew people who went in for that reason and they got what they went in for which is a bit stupid.  Everybody in the Roker End were talking about what was going to happen long before anything kicked off.

everyone knew of that , the gremlins and the removal van. Dunno how they expected to get away with it.

I remember being on the supporters buses and we were stopped at White Mare Pool, in from was the van. The old bill just lifted the shutters on the back , it looked like a packed lift!

Guest sittingontheball

IMO this is exactly the kind of thing NUSC should be campaigning against.

I think there will be a much bigger consensus among Toon fans about this than about the structure or ownership of the club.

100x the trouble in manchester after the stoke v citeh game, nowt will be made of it though..

Was it Stoke that were the causes? They got themselves into trouble when they played us earlier in the season, not the greatest set of fans.

If it's City, then of course nothing will be done. Can't be punishing a team with money.

This is everything that i saw:

Final whistle goes, Sunderland fans start running on the pitch, dancing around, including some tit that done a knee-slide. As more mackems ran on the pitch, the Newcastle fans seemed to be very pissed off, and were litterally stampeding down the stairs i was standing on, putting me through 2 seats and smashing them, cutting both my legs  :lol: I seen a few Newcatle fans who had pushed past me get a hold of a few mackems on the pitch, give them a short kicking, and then people start to fun off. I also found it hilarious when a steward was taken away by another steward, obviously been chinned  :lol: Then everything just seemed to kick off in the corner, which i couldn't really see. Then the riot police start sprinting accross, about 10 minutes late like, after everything had calmed down. Poorly policed tbh

Guest Definitely Maybe

f***ing acceptable to be up out your seat and running round the pitch to abuse a player ? the makem c***s were well out of order, when do you see that s*** happen at SJP ?

if that had happened at our place there'd be 50 pics of "suspects" in the chronicle !

Tbh, Id feel like ripping the seats up but theres no point in sinking to their levels. They are scum. Their not happy with the 3 points, they still have to cause trouble....their problem imo. At least we dont disgrace ourselves at SJP when they came to our place.

I heard they were spitting at Joey, as well as throwing coins. And yet again, they invade the pitch!!! When is that going to stop ffs? If we did it there would be bedlem in the FA HQs. :angry:

Play-offs 1990 anyone?

FACT  Northumbria poilce are still wading through evidence of crowd disturbances inside the SoL from the last two Boro matches.

FACT  Every time we play there there are pitch invasions and serious missile hurling.

FACT Turnstile attendents employed by Sunderland AFC are breaking the law and seriously contravening safety regulations by taking illicit bungs from ticketless fans to allow entry.

FACT  Sunderland AFC turn a blind eye to all of this and feel they have some kind of indemnity from the law.

FACT  Sunderland's manager pretends such behaviour is acceptable and merely fans being enthusiastic.

FACT  The FA do not take the Stadium of Light's problems seriously and their fans will continue to behave in this way unless action is taken.

FACT  Northumbria poilce are still wading through evidence of crowd disturbances inside the SoL from the last two Boro matches.

FACT  Every time we play there there are pitch invasions and serious missile hurling.

FACT Turnstile attendents employed by Sunderland AFC are breaking the law and seriously contravening safety regulations by              taking illicit bungs from ticketless fans to allow entry.

FACT  Sunderland AFC turn a blind eye to all of this and feel they have some kind of indemnity from the law.

FACT  Sunderland's manager pretends such behaviour is acceptable and merely fans being enthusiastic.

FACT  The FA do not take the Stadium of Light's problems seriously and their fans will continue to behave in this way unless action is taken.

FACT  It should be burned down, with the Makems in it.

Guest Heneage

FACT Turnstile attendents employed by Sunderland AFC are breaking the law and seriously contravening safety regulations by taking illicit bungs from ticketless fans to allow entry.

Proof about the tickets one?

FACT Turnstile attendents employed by Sunderland AFC are breaking the law and seriously contravening safety regulations by              taking illicit bungs from ticketless fans to allow entry.

FACT  It should be burned down, with the Makems in it.

Agreed  :joker:

Proof about the tickets one?

3 earlier posts

Quote from: BooBoo on Yesterday at 05:09:35 PM

Desreves mentioning that tons of fans got in to the away end yesterday after bunging the turnstile operators. Some charvas behind me slipped him £20 each and got in.

There certainly was a hell of a lot more people than seats I noticed, shocking that they did that!

It wasnt just one or two either, there was lots of it going on with two people going in on one turnstile click. The kids behind me said they were going to go as high as £60 but the mackem operator accepted £20.

Incredible really, that in this day and age where safety is paramount, that this is still allowed to go on.