Stadium of Light - Time for the FA to act

Benwell Lad

FACT  Northumbria poilce are still wading through evidence of crowd disturbances inside the SoL from the last two Boro matches.

FACT  Every time we play there there are pitch invasions and serious missile hurling.

FACT Turnstile attendents employed by Sunderland AFC are breaking the law and seriously contravening safety regulations by              taking illicit bungs from ticketless fans to allow entry.

FACT  Sunderland AFC turn a blind eye to all of this and feel they have some kind of indemnity from the law.

FACT  Sunderland's manager pretends such behaviour is acceptable and merely fans being enthusiastic.

FACT  The FA do not take the Stadium of Light's problems seriously and their fans will continue to behave in this way unless action is taken.

FACT  It should be burned down, with the Makems in it.

That's the only sensible 'fact' I've ever heard on this board.

Guest Jawesome

I hope Niall Quinn gets super aids.  Fuck him and Keane trying to hide the fact that their fans were massively in the wrong.

Coin throwing is definatley unacceptable.

As for the pitch invasion, what did you expect them to do after 28 years without a win?

A polite ripple of applause at the final whistle?

go mental in the stands?  No f***ing need to go on the pitch man.

Manyoo fans don't storm the pitch when they win the league/cup/champions league...

Guest Geordiesned

As for the pitch invasion, what did you expect them to do after 28 years without a win?

The 28 years has nothing to do with it as they invade the pitch every time they score against us down there!

The best way of controlling such a large mob is probably to throw a hand grenade into the rowdier sections. That should stop them getting onto the pitch.

The 28 years has nothing to do with it as they invade the pitch every time they score against us down there!

Exactly.

If they invade the pitch when they equalise, how would you think they'd react with an actual win?

And they didn't invade the pitch when Cateron or whatever his name was scored first for them in a 1-1 draw about 8 years ago

Edit - and 28 years has everything to do with it.

Regardless of the circumstances, you're simply not allowed on the pitch. If it happens regularly, like it does down there, the club should be punished. There is no defence for the actions of the Mackems. Rules have been broken repeatedly.

I may be bitter and biased, but i do think something should be done.

Police bid to catch yobs at Sunderland match

Oct 27 2008 by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

FANS were today urged to turn in the soccer louts behind the derby day disgrace.

Police want supporters who captured the ugly scenes on cameras and mobile phones to come forward as they continue their probe into the trouble.

Hundreds stormed the Stadium of Light pitch after Sunderland’s victory over Newcastle United, with supporters brawling and missiles being thrown.

Toon goalkeeper Shay Given was taunted by two Black Cats’ fans following Kieran Richardson’s winner and midfielder Joey Barton had bottles and coins hurled at him, before enraging home supporters by kissing his club badge.

Fans today told of their terror at being caught up in the problems, as police started to trawl through hours of CCTV footage from the day.

It comes as the Football Association launched their own investigation into the events and called for all those involved to be hit with lifetime bans.

Dorothy Cox attended the game with nine people, including husband Ronald, 76, and was hit by a missile thrown by Sunderland fans.

Mrs Cox, of Wallsend, said: “I have been following Newcastle since 1964 and go to home and away games. I thought the days of this carry-on were finished but this was like being in the 1970s again. My friend got badly bruised and I was hit on the chest.

“There was a lad in front of my knocked out for about a minute after something hit him and when he got up, there was blood everywhere.

“What upset me was this was clearly premeditated as some of the coins being thrown were sharpened, meaning people had planned to do it.

“People have blamed it on Joey Barton and I was the first to admit I didn’t want him to ever put a black and white shirt on but he has a right to warm up without being pelted with missiles. It was terrifying, just so frightening frankly.”

Police made 29 arrests on the day, including one Newcastle supporter who has a football banning order but travelled to the game at the Stadium of Light without a ticket.

A police horse was hit by a firework and a British Transport Police officer suffered a broken wrist.

An estimated 1,000 United fans travelled by train to Sunderland, rather than using free coaches.

Chief Supt Neil Mackay said: “We are continuing our inquiry, which started after Saturday’s game, to identify and arrest anyone who committed offences

“We are appealing to anyone who took pictures, people with images and footage on mobile phones or with any information at all to come forward.”

Michael Teasdale, spokesman for the newly-formed Newcastle United Supporters Club, said: “This is about three derbies in a row where people have run on the pitch.

“I know Roy Keane has asked for leniency but he wasn’t saying that when he was the one being confronted at a game recently.

“Something has to be done. There is hysteria about Joey Barton kissing his badge but that is no excuse for pelting him missiles.”

Adrian Bevington, the director of communications at the Football Association, said: “The key issue here is to work with the clubs and the police to ensure that all of those involved in Saturday's disorder are identified and put through the courts to hopefully receive football banning orders.

“The most important thing is that we target those involved and send out a strong message that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated. That could mean a lifetime banning order preventing those individuals from attending any football ground in the country.”

Two fans ran onto the pitch and confronted Given after Sunderland’s second goal, while most trouble broke out after the final whistle.

Sunderland supporters stormed the pitch.

An FA spokesman said: “We will look into the incidents. We are awaiting reports from the officials and gathering information.

“Invading the pitch is a criminal offence and we will be working with the clubs and the police to identify those responsible for encroaching on the pitch and missile throwing.

“Neither the police nor the individual clubs will tolerate people running on to the pitch or violence inside the stadium, and everyone will work together to make sure those individuals are identified.”

He added: “Our position is clear and consistent. There is a legal process for any fans identified, arrested and charged which we respect. We would expect the minimum to be a lifetime banning order.”

A Newcastle United spokesman said: “The FA and the authorities have said they will investigate the events that took place on Saturday and the club will assist in any way it can.”

A Sunderland spokesman said: “The club do not condone any anti-social behaviour. We will be diligent and review the footage and act accordingly.”

Chairman Niall Quinn added: “Anybody who has Sunderland close to his heart should enjoy this result. A minority won’t spoil it. It was a fantastic day and a day that should be remembered for the right reasons.”

He should face an FA disrepute charge for that remark, once again turning a blind eye to the crowd control problems they have at the Stadium of Light season after season.

Mind who know's perhaps he is aware of the illicit payments they take to let ticketless fans overcrowd the stadium and he doesn't want to be rumbled.

If they could prove that it would massive.

Christ almighty man. How many times? I saw it as did others going on around them in the q for the turnstiles.

Guest Heneage

I know you saw it man, im not calling you a liar either, but if a report could be done is what I mean irrefutable evidence if you say "Aww well my mate saw people" etc.

Guest elbee909

Caller on the legends, saw Makems climbing over the top of Disabled kids to get the pitch, ..scum, man

Yeah, the bastards could at least have rolled out the way.

Guest Geordiesned

Exactly.

If they invade the pitch when they equalise, how would you think they'd react with an actual win?

And they didn't invade the pitch when Cateron or whatever his name was scored first for them in a 1-1 draw about 8 years ago

Edit - and 28 years has everything to do with it.

Rubbish. They invade the pitch because they're a bunch of knuckle dragging inbred fuckers who think they're above the law as the inadequate stewarding and policing within the SOS has been letting do it for years. They invaded the pitch in a game on the tv a couple of seasons ago - it wasn't against Newcastle, can't remember who it was? - that had nothing to do with any 28 year wait.