A Holding Midfield Player. What does this Mean?

Doug

Guest sicko2ndbest

Someone who can protect the back four by breaking down attacks then having the ability to distribute accurate short passes that start up forward play is my definition, and of which we have none.

this

Someone who can protect the back four by breaking down attacks then having the ability to distribute accurate short passes that start up forward play is my definition, and of which we have none.

Mhmm.

Mascherano is the worlds best at it.

An overrated position in modern day football is what it is.

nope.

It certainly is. There's far too much emphasis on having this type of player as well as an AM, what's wrong with having two box to box players together?

nope.

It certainly is. There's far too much emphasis on having this type of player as well as an AM, what's wrong with having two box to box players together?

Like Gerrard and Lampard?

nope.

They're both not box to box though.

nope.

I reckon they are. Who is then if they aren't?

Mhmm.

Mascherano is the worlds best at it.

aye, he is very good like, i really rate cambiasso in that role for argentina too

nope.

They're both attacking midfielders, Gerrard could quite easily be that player if it wasn't for his own ego.

Like when we had Lee/Speed.

Bryan Robson is your classic example of this.

Sits infront of the back four to offer extra protection, this can be in a 4-1-4-1 type formation or a 4-4-2/4-5-1 with the other CM being a box to box CM. The holding player needs to be able to cover a lot of turf quickly and has to be able to time his tackles, a passing game is not essential as they just need to win the ball then lay it off to the attacking players or back to a CB to be cleared..

nope.

Lee Clarke and Rob Lee.

This.

A good definition.

Anyone recall a certain Bryan Robson. Another player who slipped through the net and had to go to tomorrows opponents WBA to get his break into the big time.

Broke up every opponents attack and was on the end of all his own teams attacks. Now that is what I call a midfield player. No need for the holding role with players like him in your team.

Busy players who swarm all over the opposition, if only we could populate our midfield with this sort we would fly up the table.

A good definition.

Anyone recall a certain Bryan Robson. Another player who slipped through the net and had to go to tomorrows opponents WBA to get his break into the big time.

Broke up every opponents attack and was on the end of all his own teams attacks. Now that is what I call a midfield player. No need for the holding role with players like him in your team.

Busy players who swarm all over the opposition, if only we could populate our midfield with this sort we would fly up the table.

See my post above. I like your style.

nope.

Yes, I think you're right, they are box to box midfielders but that's just one partnership, it doesn't mean that everytime two box to box midfielders play together it doesn't work.

A good definition.

Barton and Jonas is a good start.