A Holding Midfield Player. What does this Mean?

Doug

Claude Makelele is probably the best holding central midfielder of recent years.

I agree, but i think box to box players is just a term for someone who is just below good at every technique (parker)

Is it shite.

Bryan Robson as has been mentioned, Roy Keane as well, probably the two standouts in this league over the last 25 years.

Someone who can protect the back four by breaking down attacks then having the ability to distribute accurate short passes that start up forward play is my definition, and of which we have none.

A good definition.

Anyone recall a certain Bryan Robson. Another player who slipped through the net and had to go to tomorrows opponents WBA to get his break into the big time.

Broke up every opponents attack and was on the end of all his own teams attacks. Now that is what I call a midfield player. No need for the holding role with players like him in your team.

Busy players who swarm all over the opposition, if only we could populate our midfield with this sort we would fly up the table.

Barton and Jonas is a good start.

Barton is more ya Bowyer style box to box CM and Jonas is a wide player with a fantastic work ethic.

Guthrie is the closest thing to a holding CM.

Claude Makelele is probably the best holding central midfielder of recent years.

I agree, but i think box to box players is just a term for someone who is just below good at every technique (parker)

Is it s****.

Bryan Robson as has been mentioned, Roy Keane as well, probably the two standouts in this league over the last 25 years.

I'd probally say 1 in 20 supposed box to box players would fit in the keane/ robson mould tho.

Is it s****.

I'd probally say 1 in 20 supposed box to box players would fit in the keane/ robson mould tho.

Well that to me is what I'd class as a box to box player. All action, up and down, up and down.

Box to Box just means a CM with a good work ethic, a player that will get forward and support an attack but who will aslo bust a gut to get back and help out at the back.

Gerrard Lamperd anre what I would call box to box CM's.

I guess a lot depends on what the manager wants a player to do, to be a holding player takes a lot of dedication, just to sit and not push on and back up play, they are never going to get goals or many assists but its a very very important role to play if a team is set up that way.

Two box to box CM 'scan cost teams so much, as we see with England and the Geerard Lampard CM partnership, there has to be a great understanding between both CM's for that to work.

Someone who can protect the back four by breaking down attacks then having the ability to distribute accurate short passes that start up forward play is my definition, and of which we have none.

A good definition.

Anyone recall a certain Bryan Robson. Another player who slipped through the net and had to go to tomorrows opponents WBA to get his break into the big time.

Broke up every opponents attack and was on the end of all his own teams attacks. Now that is what I call a midfield player. No need for the holding role with players like him in your team.

Busy players who swarm all over the opposition, if only we could populate our midfield with this sort we would fly up the table.

Barton and Jonas is a good start.

Barton is more ya Bowyer style box to box CM and Jonas is a wide player with a fantastic work ethic.

Guthrie is the closest thing to a holding CM.

I meant work rate , relating to Bryan Robson.

Is it shite.

A bit before that Graeme Souness was class at Liverpool. The best holding midfielders actually dictate the game from that role. The ordinairy ones are decent tacklers with limited football ability. Guess which one we usually end up with?

An overrated position in modern day football is what it is.

One of most important positions IMO. A good DM will generally mean a good team. Starting point for most attacks.

Weird that with Barcelona's success in recent years, DM was always the one position they were weak.

Suppose it's not as important when the 5 players in front of a DM is Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Messi and Eto'o. :razz:

Is it shite.

A bit before that Graeme Souness was class at Liverpool. The best holding midfielders actually dictate the game from that role. The ordinairy ones are decent tacklers with limited football ability. Guess which one we usually end up with?

Aye, Souness was an absolutely fantastic player.

I miss David Batty, we never replaced him properly.

I also miss Speed & Lee, they simply were never replaced.

We need a proper DMC imo, along with someone who can run through the centre and score us 10 goals a season plus assists.

DMC & AMC over MC & MC for me, its the most effective combo when you are on a tight budget or squad building, the very best box to box or generals are amazing, but were not going to find that kind of standard in a hurry but we can find effective DMC's & AMC's all over the place.

I like my big man little man combo upfront as well:

----------Martins----Zaki----------

-----------D'Allesandro------------

Zoggy-----------------------Jonas

-------------Diarra-----------------

Think that would be rather effective.

I think Tooj is wrong here though. A good holding midfielder is exactly what a club in a position like ours needs. When we are under pressure, we need someone to clean up the mess and get the ball forward. All of the top four have have fantastic holding players except for Arsenal (and frankly it this has been one of their main problems over recent seasons.) Also, it is very difficult to find a combination of two box to box players that works really well.

We need a proper DMC imo, along with someone who can run through the centre and score us 10 goals a season plus assists.

DMC & AMC over MC & MC for me, its the most effective combo when you are on a tight budget or squad building, the very best box to box or generals are amazing, but were not going to find that kind of standard in a hurry but we can find effective DMC's & AMC's all over the place.

Why have you posted your FM lineup in here?

I think Tooj is wrong here though. A good holding midfielder is exactly what a club in a position like ours needs. When we are under pressure, we need someone to clean up the mess and get the ball forward. All of the top four have have fantastic holding players except for Arsenal (and frankly it this has been one of their main problems over recent seasons.) Also, it is very difficult to find a combination of two box to box players that works really well

Put it better than i could ever do.

An overrated position in modern day football is what it is.

One of most important positions IMO. A good DM will generally mean a good team. Starting point for most attacks.

Weird that with Barcelona's success in recent years, DM was always the one position they were weak.

Suppose it's not as important when the 5 players in front of a DM is Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Messi and Eto'o. :razz:

True but both Xavi and Iniesta are brilliant at keeping the ball and both get back to help when poss.

batty was a bit like squareball / the crab ray wilkins, mostly sideways passing but bloody good at it and a good tackler.

I thought he was absolutely fantastic when we signed him.

My favourite ever toon player.

batty was a bit like squareball / the crab ray wilkins, mostly sideways passing but bloody good at it and a good tackler.

I thought he was absolutely fantastic when we signed him.

My favourite ever toon player.

Aye was class but in todays game he would be sent off a lot, hard man tough tacklers are no longer part of football.

I think Tooj is wrong here though. A good holding midfielder is exactly what a club in a position like ours needs. When we are under pressure, we need someone to clean up the mess and get the ball forward. All of the top four have have fantastic holding players except for Arsenal (and frankly it this has been one of their main problems over recent seasons.) Also, it is very difficult to find a combination of two box to box players that works really well.

Why have you posted your FM lineup in here?

Yadda yadda, just showing how i'd like the club to working on field.

I personally play a 3-4-1-2 formation  :pow:

Gerrard and Lampard dont work because Gerrard is the team player who will graft back as well as forward. Lampard is a selfish greedy goal hanger who would rather blaze a shot wide and high rather than play someone else in for a clearer chance IMO

A good holding midfielder also turns a mediocre defence into a good one.Slip Owen Hargreaves/Mascherano/Torsten Frings into Butt's position and our back 4 improves markedly.

very true, was the same case when we had batty, he complimented barton/bez/peacock/albert quite well i think. made the so called shaky defence a lot more solid