Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

would've been nice to see martins anticipate a few ameobi flick ons like (i know, i know), you dont get much standing square of your strike partner. barton and guthrie far too square for their goal, and aye duff gifted it to them but it happens, i'm getting sick of enrique like, looks heavy, never plays a pass confidently, just very un-convincing.

Jonas made a massive difference and it was nice not to have to shout at Butt, hopefully barton and guthrie can get a bit more organised and keep him out of the team, for the rest of time.

a horrible second half, but still, Barton 2-1, £75 :frantic:

Martins once again spent too much time on the left wing, leaving the plank on his own in the middle..

I've not seen anyone calling for Kinnear's head tonight. ???

Collective questions have to be asked of that second half, that's all.

The very same questions that had to be asked after the Man City and the mackems. We lost three points in those two games together, and we could well have lost another two today. We need to get rid of Kinnear as soon as possible if this is the way he's going to approach games.

Kinnear's static nature seemed to be apparent in the 2nd half, and although I'm no manager, taking off Martins was bizarre, as was Gutierrez's change. Perhaps because they've come back from injuries. Still, surely put N'Zogbia or someone one who can cause them some sort of problems..

Agree.  :thup:

Dreadful use of the subs yet again this time not the lateness of the substitutes but those taken off and those brought on.

I suspect something has gone on behind closed doors regards young N'Zogbia being totally frozen out of the side and not even been used off the bench since his man of the match display down at Everton.

On Kinnear's part good job that second half didn't cost us.

Canny nervous that tbh.  :undecided:

2 things: 1) We'll not go down. 2) West Brom will.

All this talk of getting to 'the magical 40 point' barrier is a load of shite. We'll not need 40 points to finish above them. Or Stoke for that matter.

I was completely baffled when he brought Geremi on for Jonas. JK took any ounce of pace from our team when we were under pressure and surely all logic would point to N'Zogbia as mentioned above surely. Then again on the other hand I'm baffled that Geremi out-paced someone on the wing, shame on them tbh :lol:

I was completely baffled when he brought Geremi on for Jonas. JK took any ounce of pace from our team when we were under pressure and surely all logic would point to N'Zogbia as mentioned above surely. Then again on the other hand I'm baffled that Geremi out-paced someone on the wing, shame on them tbh :lol:

I shouted "Go on Geremi, use your pace!" and got loads of funny looks. Aye cos I'm being serious ffs. :lol:

I shouted "Go on Geremi, use your pace!" and got loads of funny looks. Aye cos I'm being serious ffs. :lol:

:laugh:

Kinnear: "Joey wasn't supposed to be on penalties, Oba was, so he'd have been in trouble if he'd missed"

Fair play to Barton for stepping up. Said before that I couldn't give two fucks what he's done before because football's never done us any favours.

Nice to head off to bed with a Newcastle win in the bag. Makes a bloody change!

Team is very low on confidence, first sign of danger from the opposition and they collectively bottle it and start doubting - this needs ironing out asap, and a run of decent results will achieve that, which I believe we are capable of over the next few games.

Howay the lads!

I didn't get round to watch the game but just a couple of points to bear in mind:

1) At this stage in the Premier League their are no mugs. It's worth bearing in mind before today West Brom had a margain over us, in our current state I'd take any kind of win I couldn't care less how it comes about.

2) There's a thread about the negative play in the second half, why not focus on the positives in the first? It's about time we actually had some to discuss.

3) There's no doubt Kinnear is tactically static, this became apparent in the derby defeat, but at the same time I can understand where he was coming from. As I said before: I'd take any kind of win at the moment and I think he had the same mindset and tried to shut the game down. (This DOESN'T mean I agree with his tactics , needless to say anyone who has followed our team for any length of time knows how inept we are at holding on to a lead.)

One last point before I retire: if Jonas had played against Hull and Blackburn, I don't think we'd have lost either game. Totally different side with him in it, a genuine creative outlet who scares the shit out of defenders, links up excellently with his full back and works hard too. Class act.

I know Barton had a few sloppy passes but i thought he was immense tonight. Exactly the character we need, with him and Jonas in the side we are a different proposition.

A small nod to Guthrie too who had a decent run out.

I know Barton had a few sloppy passes but i thought he was immense tonight. Exactly the character we need, with him and Jonas in the side we are a different proposition.

barton played well and while guthrie made no major bollocks,our weak spot was the middle of the middle. we let them dominate there for too long. no pressure when they had the ball and no options when we did.

barton played well and while guthrie made no major bollocks,our weak spot was the middle of the middle. we let them dominate there for too long. no pressure when they had the ball and no options when we did.

It was a small nod, dont think either Barton or Guthrie has the positional sense you need to protect the back four against top opposition.

Dont agree at all about us not having options, they hunted the ball better in the second half but there was so much more creativity in that side tonight.

Kinnear: "Joey wasn't supposed to be on penalties, Oba was, so he'd have been in trouble if he'd missed"

Fair play to Barton for stepping up. Said before that I couldn't give two fucks what he's done before because football's never done us any favours.

I loved how Barton almost ran straight for the ball as soon as the penalty had been given. So full of confidence and so eager to prove himself.

Showed signs of captain material tonight IMO, gave instructions to Enrique before the game and Colo when coming out after half time.

It was a small nod, dont think either Barton or Guthrie has the positional sense you need to protect the back four against top opposition.

Dont agree at all about us not having options, they hunted the ball better in the second half but there was so much more creativity in that side tonight.

in the 2nd half (in fact after 30mins),the only options were on the break, we built very little.

I loved how Barton almost ran straight for the ball as soon as the penalty had been given. So full of confidence and so eager to prove himself.

Showed signs of captain material tonight IMO, gave instructions to Enrique before the game and Colo when coming out after half time.

Completely agree, the best character on the pitch. Did you see him and Colocinni coming out for the second half? Whatever was said obviously didnt pan out but he was giving him loads of instructions. Proper leader.