Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

Loved the first half, totally in control we should have buried them by at least 4. I cannot understand why we drop so deep, especially against West Brom at home, there have got to be times when attack is the best form of defence.

Beye and Duff were the best players on the pitch today.

Guest firetotheworks

The main question I have is whether we looked shit in the second half because we sat back, or because we sat back because we were knackered after the first half. Jonas epitomised our first half attitude, but second half he was proper fucked as fuck.

Has it been brought up about the poor officiatiing in the lead up to their goal?

Joey was fouled, ball found its way to Duff, who was pretty much stationary expecting the free kick, he loses the ball, Mike Dean gives the advantage signal, and then they score.

3 points, which is bloody great and all that matters at the moment. Bring on Villa. With Owen back and Martins hopefully regaining some confidence, I fancy us to win that one. Up to 15th now, and we'll push on from here. 8 points behind 'Europe' and catching up. Howay the lads.

West Brom looked like a settled side, built with a certain style in mind. We were a hotch-potch, with players often leaving things to one another and lots of misunderstandings. The low point came at the end when Duff and Geremi tried to hold the ball by the corner flag and even managed to cock that up completely.

But - WBA played as well as they can, whereas we can improve.

I agree about Barton as captain material. Sometimes giving the bad boy more responsiblity can work, and there aren't any other real leaders.

And Jonas is our best buy since Rob Lee.

Guest jda3000

Not sure if anyone else has posted this, but Duff thoroughly deserved man of the match last night, his effort was spot on whilst everyone else went to sleep

"Barton demanded the ball. The plot demanded it as well.

Charging across, Barton scooped up the ball, and placed it on the spot. His kick was equally confident, the ball despatched firmly past Scott Carson, a sweet moment for a player who normally stirs only sourness. Perfidious 1, Albion 0."

Henry Winter is class.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this, but Duff thoroughly deserved man of the match last night, his effort was spot on whilst everyone else went to sleep

This,I cant believe that people on here are still slating him

I thought he was poor last night, gave the ball away for their goal and failed to look up and see a runner in space to his left on 3 occassions. Lots of effort though.

Nothing is harder to lose than a reputation. It applies to Shola as well, who I thought did a good job for us last night.

Kinnear: "Joey wasn't supposed to be on penalties, Oba was, so he'd have been in trouble if he'd missed"

Fair play to Barton for stepping up. Said before that I couldn't give two fucks what he's done before because football's never done us any favours.

I loved how Barton almost ran straight for the ball as soon as the penalty had been given. So full of confidence and so eager to prove himself.

Showed signs of captain material tonight IMO, gave instructions to Enrique before the game and Colo when coming out after half time.

did anyone notice barton go to give martins a high five before kick off and martins just ignore him and walk past? i wonder what joe will do when owen's fit, can anyone see him dropping shola the way we play now?

by the way i didnt think bartons penalty was particularly good, perfect height for a keeper to save, not much power, not in the corner, just got lucky with the way the keeper dived. fair play for getting it in the back of the net though, obviously, have to say aswell i liked barton taking it coz i always shit myself when martins steps up to take pens.

Kinnear: "Joey wasn't supposed to be on penalties, Oba was, so he'd have been in trouble if he'd missed"

Fair play to Barton for stepping up. Said before that I couldn't give two fucks what he's done before because football's never done us any favours.

I loved how Barton almost ran straight for the ball as soon as the penalty had been given. So full of confidence and so eager to prove himself.

Showed signs of captain material tonight IMO, gave instructions to Enrique before the game and Colo when coming out after half time.

did anyone notice barton go to give martins a high five before kick off and martins just ignore him and walk past? i

Barton raised his hand to Martins? Probably thought he was going to hit him :hmm:

Fair play to Barton for stepping up. Said before that I couldn't give two f***s what he's done before because football's never done us any favours.

Completely agree, the best character on the pitch. Did you see him and Colocinni coming out for the second half? Whatever was said obviously didnt pan out but he was giving him loads of instructions. Proper leader.

Barton had an excellent game and definitely looked the most "captain like" player in our ranks.

He showed great courage in taking the penalty as he had more to lose than gain by doing that. Said a lot about his character.

Thought most turned in decent shifts overall but a speacial word for Colo who just looks class and hats off to Shola who put in another hard working display and gave their CB's a bit to think about.

I thought he was poor last night, gave the ball away for their goal and failed to look up and see a runner in space to his left on 3 occassions. Lots of effort though.

Went on a couple of decent runs for a change and worked hard. His end product was dismal though and he doesn't look convincing for me. Two matches in a row now he's got into good position and shot tamely straight to the keeper at waist height. Powder puff stuff, Duff.

Guest Stephen927

First half was good, second half we dropped off and allowed them to play their passing game, dreadful tactics from Kinnear.

Gutierrez looked knackered as the game went on but his quality was there for all to see, hope we have a chance to rebuild a team and challenge for Europe before he gets sick.

I thought we were lucky to hold on last night. Our second half performance was very disjointed and we couldn't get up a head of steam.

The first twenty minutes were very good and we should have had another one or two if luck was on our side.

One thing I did notice last night was that the crossing of the ball was woefull, we had at least three occasions when an "easy" cross or pass was needed after a player had done the difficult bit and got into their box, they really need to lift their heads to see where other players are...

Defence seemed pretty good to me apart from Colo's stumble.

I thought we were lucky to hold on last night. Our second half performance was very disjointed and we couldn't get up a head of steam.

The first twenty minutes were very good and we should have had another one or two if luck was on our side.

One thing I did notice last night was that the crossing of the ball was woefull, we had at least three occasions when an "easy" cross or pass was needed after a player had done the difficult bit and got into their box, they really need to lift their heads to see where other players are...

Defence seemed pretty good to me apart from Colo's stumble.

And Taylor going walkabouts when James Morrison really should have scored first-half.

3 points nothing else matters!

I'm very happy with the 3 points but there were several worrying signs in the second half. A better team would have won that match and given how decent we were in the first half that is something I'm annoyed about. We invited them to attack us far too much.

Not a better team just a team with more confidence, they got worried about loseing it and dropped to deep, I can forgive them that.

Yeah it wasn't great but 2 ain players got tired, very tired and it showed, Jonas and Barton were worn out.

I thought Enrique was shocking the entire match, he just wanders off, Bassong is so much better there than him. Hi passign was shocking, so many ties we had Duff in space, Enrique had the ball and instead of going down the line it went infield. Its hard for Duff to have an impact when he does not get the ball enough, he finds space all time.

A convincing win woud have been great but a win was the most important thing.

Has it been brought up about the poor officiatiing in the lead up to their goal?

Joey was fouled, ball found its way to Duff, who was pretty much stationary expecting the free kick, he loses the ball, Mike Dean gives the advantage signal, and then they score.

Schoolboy error. Unacceptable for a professional footballer, never mind an Internaitonal no less, not to play to the whistle

I've read a couple of pages and no one seems to have pointed out that we were passed off the park by WBA, if they had had any sort of cutting edge we would have been in serious trouble. Villa won't be as toothless.

And I don't like that Shay has been told to punt it up field at every opportunity. I know Shola has been doing all right in the air, and has been winning his share of knock ons but Oba isn't the best at anticipating the knock on and we produce very little. Under Keegan we played from the back more often than not and I feel that we need to mix it up a bit more.