That second half performance

Dave

Was the bad second half a case of bad tactics from the manager or poor/gutless player performances?  A bit of both?  I didn't see the match, but some of our players have made a habit of disappearing in difficult situations.

Manager advisng the team to sit back and hold the lead.   A better team would have torn us a new back 4.

Taylor scares the shit out of me. 

In fairness, Kinnear said we sat back too much in the second half. I don't think he told them to do that.

Are people here aware that we hadn't won in 7 games?

You're never going to beat someone 3 or 4 nil when that's the case.

The players were nervous, not sure how that's a fault of Kinnear.

I've seen us play worse under Keegan, and I'll get slated for that but it's a fact.

We weren't in the relegation zone for no reason.

The players didn't look nervous at half time, they started to look nervous when we sat back and conceded the goal which heaped more pressure on us.

I can understand sitting deep and protecting a lead but not with 45 mins to fucking play.

Was the bad second half a case of bad tactics from the manager or poor/gutless player performances?  A bit of both?  I didn't see the match, but some of our players have made a habit of disappearing in difficult situations.

Manager advisng the team to sit back and hold the lead.  A better team would have torn us a new back 4.

Taylor scares the s*** out of me. 

In fairness, Kinnear said we sat back too much in the second half. I don't think he told them to do that.

Why the fuck didnt he come out and tell them to put some fucking pressure on then.

Or bang an extra midfielder on to help them out.

Manager advisng the team to sit back and hold the lead.   A better team would have torn us a new back 4.

Taylor scares the s*** out of me. 

Taylor really instills no confidence in me at all. He does make some great and brave plays, but I am always afraid he cost us a goal and/or penalty. This is a constant thing with him. Still amazed we took off Jonas AND Oba. Taking off one is is fine but both. West Brom aren't as dominant in the last part of the match if they have Martins or Gutierrez running at them. When Shola is up there by himself, he provides no threat whtsoever.

I do think the second half performance was partly due to fatigue as we did work extremely hard in the first half.

Also, Kinnear was just so desperate for a win, he couldn't help himself with the more defensive approach.

Hopefully, now the first win under Kinnear is out of the way, we he can just loosen up a bit and be more positive over the 90.

To Kinnear's credit he got the starting lineup right, which was a pretty big deal tonight.

Yeah, we've had half our best players out for ages. Beye, Jonas, Owen, Martins & Barton.

If all of them had been fully fit for the last 7 games, we'd be a damned sight higher up the table than we are.

Was an absolute disgrace.

West Brom easily deserved a draw; we sat off them for the entire half and let them basically do what they wanted. Any side with a final ball (ie most in this league) would have stopped us getting the three points and probably gone on to win. They were there for the taking and after creating LOADS of chances first half we just surrendered all momentum.

I'm delighted with the three points, but the tactics and performances after the break tonight ought to be seriously questioned IMO.

I'm not sure what happened 2nd half, we should have done far better.  Perhaps the players felt the game was wrapped and wasn't prepared for West Brom to step it up.  Credit to West Brom, I thought they played some good football.  That Miller was strong and fast.

Duff impressed me tonight.  He beat a lot of people.  He was also shouting at others late in 2nd half to start chasing people down.  Barton and Guthrie were fantastic first half, but scarily quiet in contrast during the 2nd.

Shame Coloccini let that pass slip by him for their goal, he was good other than that.  Taylor was ok, but didn't like the foul he gave away outside the box.

Ameobi and Martins frustrated me the most as they often got the ball up front and lost possession in a silly way.  If Owen was upfront I think he would have grabbed a brace in the first half easily.

Win is a win.  We are hardly in top form at the moment and there is far more to us than this.  I just hope Owen is back for the Villa game...

Guest The Libertine

points over performance at this stage for me. couldnt give 2 fucks how we do it. any points will do until we get a new permanent manager.

Tiredness is a piss poor excuse for a performance like that. Lethargic and inept in equal measure thank God West Brom saw the barn door but left their banjo at home.

Yeah, we've had half our best players out for ages. Beye, Jonas, Owen, Martins & Barton.

If all of them had been fully fit for the last 7 games, we'd be a damned sight higher up the table than we are.

Or, you know, we're not very good.

I haven't seen us play such frightened football since Allardyce's time here. Kinnear has said we should have went for it so I can only assume the players lost their way or ran out of gas. What should have been a massive confidence booster has ended up raising as many questions as answers. Shocking tbh.

points over performance at this stage for me. couldnt give 2 fucks how we do it. any points will do until we get a new permanent manager.

I agree, don't get why people are getting so agitated over it. JK is here to keep the ship afloat at the moment. This means beating teams like west brom, hopefully getting the odd win against the mid table sides and most likely getting stuffed by the top 8 teams. We are not going to playing incredible football and we are going to have to hold on sometimes to win games.

Are people here aware that we hadn't won in 7 games?

You're never going to beat someone 3 or 4 nil when that's the case.

The players were nervous, not sure how that's a fault of Kinnear.

I've seen us play worse under Keegan, and I'll get slated for that but it's a fact.

Kinnear is fucking clueless man

Or, you know, we're not very good.

?...The point is we've been missing a hell of alot of important players at the same. Even last year we were good when we had our best players available. It's just a shame that we can never seem to put the best team out.

We've got the vital 3pts, but this game has just made me so angry.

The whole thing as an organisation is an utter shambolic disgrace.

God, I wonder how long some of you have been watching the Toon for. I could name you 200 more "shambolic disgraces" than tonight over the last 20 years.

points over performance at this stage for me. couldnt give 2 f***s how we do it. any points will do until we get a new permanent manager.

I agree, don't get why people are getting so agitated over it. JK is here to keep the ship afloat at the moment. This means beating teams like west brom, hopefully getting the odd win against the mid table sides and most likely getting stuffed by the top 8 teams. We are not going to playing incredible football and we are going to have to hold on sometimes to win games.

I know points mean safety and we know we wontbe playing fantastic football but to allow th team to sit back so far and invite a team on to you so much has to be stamped out now.

A better side would have taken their chances.

God, I wonder how long some of you have been watching the Toon for. I could name you 200 more "shambolic disgraces" than tonight over the last 20 years.

go on then,

West Brom easily deserved a draw; we sat off them for the entire half and let them basically do what they wanted. Any side with a final ball (ie most in this league) would have stopped us getting the three points and probably gone on to win. They were there for the taking and after creating LOADS of chances first half we just surrendered all momentum.

I'm delighted with the three points, but the tactics and performances after the break tonight ought to be seriously questioned IMO.

I'm not sure what happened 2nd half, we should have done far better.  Perhaps the players felt the game was wrapped and wasn't prepared for West Brom to step it up.  Credit to West Brom, I thought they played some good football.  That Miller was strong and fast.

Duff impressed me tonight.  He beat a lot of people.  He was also shouting at others late in 2nd half to start chasing people down.  Barton and Guthrie were fantastic first half, but scarily quiet in contrast during the 2nd.

Shame Coloccini let that pass slip by him for their goal, he was good other than that.  Taylor was ok, but didn't like the foul he gave away outside the box.

Ameobi and Martins frustrated me the most as they often got the ball up front and lost possession in a silly way.  If Owen was upfront I think he would have grabbed a brace in the first half easily.

Win is a win.  We are hardly in top form at the moment and there is far more to us than this.  I just hope Owen is back for the Villa game...

Difficult to play well and have an impact when the ball is 50 metres above your head for every living second of the game.

Of course the three points are the single most important thing, but don't forget what difference confidence makes to our players. We know on paper they're good enough to avoid relegation, but they need more belief.

West Brom were there for the taking and finishing that game tonight 3-0, better, or even simply keeping the clean sheet would have done wonders for the team. As things stand we scraped a win, and they'll all know how easily they could have fucked it up.

Difficult to play well and have an impact when the ball is 50 metres above your head for every living second of the game.

Exactly.

go on then,

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=57265.0

Take your pick.

Of course the three points are the single most important thing, but don't forget what difference confidence makes to our players. We know on paper they're good enough to avoid relegation, but they need more belief.

West Brom were there for the taking and finishing that game tonight 3-0 or better would have done wonders for the team. As things stand we scraped a win, and they'll all know how easily they could have f***ed it up.

on paper good enough to avoid relegation? what paper is that,... its bollox, playing like that relegation is a real possibility.