FORUM UPDATES: Slow tonight for 15 mins, doing some digging...

Dave

It seems to me that the problem is not in the host's service, but some sort of database inconsistency or an unlikely bottleneck in the SMF code.. If you have access to the log files, make sure you note which is the last accessed page and what's the exact query that was executed before the db error.

You appear to have the kind of experience we're lacking in general. :shifty:

It seems to me that the problem is not in the host's service, but some sort of database inconsistency or an unlikely bottleneck in the SMF code.. If you have access to the log files, make sure you note which is the last accessed page and what's the exact query that was executed before the db error.

If you want his help just ask him.  :lol:

If you want his help just ask him.  :lol:

well, I don't have any experience with forum software, but I suppose I can review the logs (I'm sure they don't contain any sensitive user information) and hopefully we can determine at least if the problem is in the hosting, the database or the code of the application..

It's highly unlikely that it's a bug in the SMF software, as they have reputation of a very quick and less resource-demanding forum, which means that the SQL queries are optimized to perfection.

Personally I think it's a sure bet that it's the database, since the host was changed and the errors appear even when there's very little load on the server..

Aye, we've long suspected the database is fucked tbh, ever since we started the transfer. Our SMF and the theme aren't in that great nick either, as we had to basically make a complete copy over here just to get it working properly (ignoring these errors of course).

The question is, can a database be 'fixed' without starting over?

Aye, we've long suspected the database is f***ed tbh, ever since we started the transfer. Our SMF and the theme aren't in that great nick either, as we had to basically make a complete copy over here just to get it working properly (ignoring these errors of course).

The question is, can a database be 'fixed' without starting over?

It can be fixed easily, but you have to diagnose exactly what's wrong with it first, which of course is the tricky part..

Can you view the SMF logs?

Just had :

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later

Just after 21.00

didnt have any of those but around the same time I had a very long page refresh which took about 15 seconds rest of open pages working fine so guess it is the page and not my ISP

Hosts have tweaked all they can in the current set-up and because some people are still struggling I think we'll be moving up a level as far as their hosting packages go. So we'll see how we go with that.