Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

His distribution is still the weak point. I know he plays some class long balls and pings some nice ones down the line but when passing to feet he's erratic too frequently. He went through a phase of dicking around a few weeks ago, maybe he was finding it all too easy, but he's cut that out now and is comfortably our best player.

Guest Roger Kint

Definitely has alot of potential. Will never be as comfortable on the deck as some of the Top International left backs like Evra, Cole or Clichy. But is easily comparable to regular Premier League players like Baines, Warnock etc.

FYP

Surprised no one mentioned his defensive capabilities. He's a beast in a 1v1, I have no memory of him being skinned by any winger, not even by Ronaldo. Does get caught out of position now and again and scuffs the occasional clearances but certainly one of the better LBs around.

We must be talking about different things. By technique, I'm thinking of skill on the ball. A large number of his passes and crosses go astray, and his first touch is poor.

If he has possession and he's got space to run into, then he can hurt defences at this level, but that's more to do with his athleticism.

Guest Roger Kint

We must be talking about different things. By technique, I'm thinking of skill on the ball. A large number of his passes and crosses go astray, and his first touch is poor.

If he has possession and he's got space to run into, then he can hurt defences at this level, but that's more to do with his athleticism.

He is a technically good passer although his decisions are sometimes wrong. He should really look for touch when clearing more as too many times the ball ends up infield to their players, hes also a decent crosser just inconsistent. Thats something he can learn easily with a decent coach mind.......

His game relied more in athleticism when he was in Spain, he wasn't nicknamed "The Buffalo" for nothing. But he didn't strike me as having bad technique either. I remember a couple of balls he controlled when we played them a couple years ago (lost 2-0  :angry:) that were pretty impressive, chesting it down under the pressure of Messi and then getting it out calmly in one case...

Guest Roger Kint

His game relied more in athleticism when he was in Spain, he wasn't nicknamed "The Buffalo" for nothing. But he didn't strike me as having bad technique either. I remember a couple of balls he controlled when we played them a couple years ago (lost 2-0  :angry:) that were pretty impressive, chesting it down under the pressure of Messi and then getting it out calmly in one case...

The Buffalo? :dontknow:

Sounds just like wor Jose :smitten:

The way he's dealt with any form of pressure this season has been phenomenal, love it every time a winger tries to get the better of him and he just takes the ball off him, turns and then pass it to Jonas or whoever is available. Defending at its best.

Guest prestonj1989

No, it was "el búfalo". I just checked his Spanish wikipedia page to be sure.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Enrique_S%C3%A1nchez_D%C3%ADaz

Se trata de un joven talento muy potente (apodado Bufalo), que domina todo el carril izquierdo, adaptándose al ataque con facilidad.

It says on English wikipedia:

He earned himself the affectionate nickname The Bull as a result of his strength and tenacity.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

No, it was "el búfalo". I just checked his Spanish wikipedia page to be sure.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Enrique_S%C3%A1nchez_D%C3%ADaz

Se trata de un joven talento muy potente (apodado Bufalo), que domina todo el carril izquierdo, adaptándose al ataque con facilidad.

It says on English wikipedia:

He earned himself the affectionate nickname The Bull as a result of his strength and tenacity.

That sentence says it all mate.

And from the horse's (or buffalo's) mouth himself:

http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia/prensa/20070809/deportes/jose-enrique-agradece-villarreal_20070809.html

The very last bit:

“Creo que me adaptaré muy bien a la liga, aunque el búfalo allí ya no será tan búfalo, porque allí están todos muy fuertes, pero espero no desentonar”

"I think I will adapt very well to the [Premier] league, although the buffalo's not going to be so buffalo there, they are all very strong players there, but I think I will perform".

Guest firetotheworks

Im quite happy for the media or anyone nationally, or in Spain to rate him. I dont want anyone but us, the opposition and NUFC to realise how class he is. I'd be devastated if he went.

And from the horse's (or buffalo's) mouth himself:

http://www.lasprovincias.es/valencia/prensa/20070809/deportes/jose-enrique-agradece-villarreal_20070809.html

The very last bit:

“Creo que me adaptaré muy bien a la liga, aunque el búfalo allí ya no será tan búfalo, porque allí están todos muy fuertes, pero espero no desentonar”

"I think I will adapt very well to the [Premier] league, although the buffalo's not going to be so buffalo there, they are all very strong players there, but I think I will perform".

To be honest, who gives a shit? I'd call him my fairy godmother if his performances help us to get promoted.

He struggles with his passing a lot because we tend not to have the outlets for him (our wingers are wandering, the centre halves uncomfortable on the ball etc)

Yup. At times he plays some cracking passes, and even short ones. But the players in front of him are static a lot of the time.

I wasn't a big fan of him last year, but Fuck this man has improved!!! A rock at back, he's realy coming to his own, I just question how long we can hold onto him. He's been our best player since the begining of the season by a country mile! Makes football look so easy.