Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

I don't 'expect' him to go in january, but it's a terrifying possibility. I really want him to stay, since he didn't jump ship in the summer I think there's a good chance he might see out the season to find out if we go up.

For some reason a lot of pundits don't seem to rate him... from what I've heard anyway.

He's Spanish and is a Newcastle defender. Pretty much the criteria.

He isn't that rated in Spain either. I remember in an interview earlier this season, he was asked who did he think is the best player for Spain's LB, and the journalist was surprised when he answered "I think I can be that player" and refused to give any other name. Went up in my estimation with that answer, by the way  :thup:

I know as I'm typing this it's very optomistic, but I just hope that the regime realise how critical it is for us to go up this season... so no more players must be sold.

£5m gained on selling Enrique could easily turn into tens of millions lost, even over the next season or two.

I really need to see more of him playing in the top flight really. He looked like somebody that could end up in a red shirt when playing for Villarreal, but he only was first choice there for half a season, and I didn't watch any of your games last year (actually, I think the Sheffield Utd game was the first time I have watched Newcastle since Roeder was sacked).

I really need to see more of him playing in the top flight really. He looked like somebody that could end up in a red shirt when playing for Villarreal, but he only was first choice there for half a season, and I didn't watch any of your games last season (actually, I think the Sheffield Utd game was the first time I have watched Newcastle since Roeder was sacked).

You picked a good game in terms of Enrique showing his quality.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It's strange how he's so not rated by the media...Without a doubt our best player this season.

And a model pro, by the sounds of it.

I really need to see more of him playing in the top flight really. He looked like somebody that could end up in a red shirt when playing for Villarreal, but he only was first choice there for half a season, and I didn't watch any of your games last season (actually, I think the Sheffield Utd game was the first time I have watched Newcastle since Roeder was sacked).

Against joke opposition. If he plays like that in the EPL he's definitely Spain material though (our current LBs aren't really anything special)

Against joke opposition. If he plays like that in the EPL he's definitely Spain material though (our current LBs aren't really anything special)

Yep, not doubting that. He is a cut above this division and it shows in every game.

Guest prestonj1989

Who are Spain's left backs? Can't think of any for some reason.

EDIT: Actually just remembered Capdevila. I always thought he was really good.

I think I rate him too highly but I do think he is f***ing great. Can't believe there isn't any/more interest in him.

I'm just thinking of the players we have had in the left back position in recent years and crying tbh.

Babayaro

Steven Taylor

Ramage

Elliott

Huntington

Carr

Duff

Edgar

Simpson  (I think once this season?)

I've probably left at least one out.

IMO  Enrique is light years better in the left back position than any of that lot, and I wouldn't trust any scouting system the club could put in place to come up with someone better.

......and to think this thread was originally called 'Joke Enrique'.

It's amazing what a consistant run of games can do for someone with a bit of talent.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I always rated him from the start he was the only player in our squad  who would pass and move and not hide from the ball. Our off the ball movement was so fucking embarrassing in the relegation season, it was like watching a Championship team.

It's strange how he's so not rated by the media...Without a doubt our best player this season.

And a model pro, by the sounds of it.

If he was to play for Liverpool/Arsenal/Man U etc., they'd suddenly start raving about 'what a great find this boy has been..!'

Because he'd be playing in the prem & champs league against the best players.

Hes been a class above this season definately & last season deserved far more credit, picked up his form brilliantly as the season went on.

But he still has to prove himself to be proper quality in the prem. Consistantly, in the same manner he has this season. He's made a few small errors this season that could have & have sometimes resulted in the opposition scoring. He does that in the prem he'll get punished more often & his flaws will start to stand out as much as his strengths. Right now its very one sided because of the standard of the league. But yeah, with the confidence he has now & in a side playing better football...he may just be a class above in the prem to for that position.