Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

Guest firetotheworks

very impressed with his pace and strength recently, we really dont have to worry much about that LB position anymore

Agree continues to impress me however its evident Joe Kinnear doesn't rate him.

More reason to rate him.

Players Kinnear rates: Nzogbia,Duff, Butt, Ameobi, Owen

Players Kinnear has at one point or another left out in favour of the above: Enrique, Jonas, Guthrie, Xisco/Carroll, Martins

The last one's contentious, I know.

Guest firetotheworks

Misses a Midfield in front him, just like the rest of the back four. Our main problems lie in Midfield and then up front.

I never thought the day would come when our defence was the least of our worries.

Misses a Midfield in front him, just like the rest of the back four. Our main problems lie in Midfield and then up front.

I never thought the day would come when our defence was the least of our worries.

I know. However I personally feel that our lack of a protective midfield has been at the root of our problems for a number of years now. We just had too many scapegoats at the back i.e. Bramble, Boumsong, et al who were easy to blame. Don't get me wrong none of those mentioned were "the answer" but they were made to look far worse than they actually were due to our midfields inability to protect them.

Currently we have too many "past it's" both in Midfield and up front, either that or injury prone players...the best thing for us this summer would be to get a quality new striker in and someone with a bit of creativity and drive for Midfield.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/02/27/fifty-for-jose-enrique-with-more-still-to-come-72703-23026300/

Fifty for Jose Enrique – with more still to come

Feb 27 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

1 2 next »

JOSE ENRIQUE goes into his 50th appearance for Newcastle at Bolton this Sunday vowing that there is much more to come from the player who arrived on Tyneside with a reputation so tough in La Liga, they nicknamed him The Bull.

Yet many Toon fans will argue that The Bull has failed to emerge in many of his games for United.

In an honest admission over his time here, Enrique agrees with them, but says that, at 23, he has plenty of time to prove himself after an excellent start to his career in Spain with Villarreal.

And in United’s last two games Enrique has shone in a United shirt, especially in the 0-0 stalemate with Everton for 10-man Toon.

He told the Chronicle: “I feel I am playing well at the moment but I feel I can do better.

“In Spain I played much better.

“It’s different because when I arrived here Newcastle weren’t challenging at the top and Villarreal were a successful team challenging for the Champions League. When you are scrapping down at the bottom, the games are of a much different nature.

“You are fighting at the bottom.”

Relegation battle or not, Enrique will pass the milestone of 50 games for Newcastle, with the Valencia-born star hoping that he goes on piling up the appearances for the Mags.

With three big-name departures this season in Shay Given, James Milner and Charles N’Zogbia, Enrique has already made it clear he wants to stay and help Newcastle move on to better things next season.

But he hasn’t lost sight of the need for three points at Bolton this weekend.

He said: “It’s good for me to reach this tally of 50 games.

“In two years I feel I should have played more and want to play much more in the future, but 50 is a good number.

“I’m happy to reach it but I would be even happier to get the three points.”

Now as a first-team regular Enrique wants to match his game by game consistency with a climb up the table in United’s remaining fixtures.

He added: “I’m happy to play.

“But footballers are only happy when the team is doing well.

“We’re confident of beating Bolton though.

“That’s for sure.

“Bolton are only three points ahead of us and we need to beat them.”

:smitten: :smitten:

He is only relatively young, and will improve alot IMO.  He clearly likes being here so I just hope people give him a chance..  He has the makings to be a great player, just needs to get some more confidence.  Sadly that is not coming from the management at the moment which is a big issue, players need to feel valued.

He has been a model pro since he has been here and despite the shite thrown at him he has come out with alot of credability.  Alot more than can be said for some of our other overpaid shite (Shola, Smith, Viduka, Owen etc etc).

We need more players of his mindset

Been arguably our best player for the last few weeks now; if it wasn't for Bassong he'd be streets ahead in fairness. Since fucking up in that Blackburn away game he hasn't looked back. (Not that he was a failure prior to that).

In all fairness, enrique is really starting to win me over. Seems very strong mentaly.

Yep. It took my lambasting of him for him to really pull his socks up. ;-)

Not a world beater, but doing the simple things a lot better these days.

I thought he looked slow when he was first here but lately he's shown a great turn of pace, I'm not sure if he was just being a lazy bastard at the beginning now or not. :undecided:

It might have been his fitness tbf. As despite all of aura around Big Sam and his so-called modern day fitness techniques I've never seen the team be so unfit.

I thought he looked slow when he was first here but lately he's shown a great turn of pace, I'm not sure if he was just being a lazy bastard at the beginning now or not. :undecided:

It might have been his fitness tbf. As despite all of aura around Big Sam and his so-called modern day fitness techniques I've never seen the team be so unfit.

He's quick in a straight line, but slow on the turn, I think. He often looks to me like a cross between a centre back and a full back.

He's quick in a straight line, but slow on the turn, I think. He often looks to me like a cross between a centre back and a full back.

At top speed he's not super-quick, it's his accelleration where he's really good pace wise. He'll gallop out to the wing or the corner to block someone off really, really quickly.

I think quite a few here noticed he had a turn of speed a while back in fairness, not to mention other qualities which tend to get over-looked. Even NE5 has belatedly joined the fan club but it's got nowt to do with hindsight I'm sure.

I think quite a few here noticed he had a turn of speed a while back in fairness, not to mention other qualities which tend to get over-looked. Even NE5 has belatedly joined the fan club but it's got nowt to do with hindsight I'm sure.

I love how people aren't allowed to change their opinions with time on here :lol:

As you say, he has looked very good at times and does have a lot of nice attributes for a fullback. I just hope he keeps improving and we keep a hold of him. The defence (well 5 defenders we have) is one area that I don't sweat too much about these days, although we're still desperate for cover for it.

Still got mugged by Andy Griffin though.

Yeah but that was the best bit of skill I've ever seen in the flesh, so I can't hold that against Jose too much.

Griffin has a big future in beach football/futsal when he packs in playing professionally.