Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

I still don't like him tbh. His positioning in defence is poor, and his distribution in attack is very unreliable.

He has his good moments, because he's very strong, but I hope we're still continuing to look for someone better.

To me it wasn't "good moments in a generally bad performance", but "excellent moments in a generally good performance". That's needlessly harsh, what you said. He was flawless throughout the match in all honesty - and particular incidents of determination, strength and pace was good to see. That cross he whipped into the box in the second half was begging to be buried aswell.

Who hasn't Enrique had in his pocket this season? Defensively, he's been fucking amazing. The only part of his game that needs working on is passing, and if he's encouraged to bomb forward more often and overlap Jonas, then I think he could develop into one of the best players in our team. He's strong, he's quick, he's got stamina and doesn't seem to have lapses in concentration. He's defensively better than any LB I've seen at the club.

Today, he didn't have much to do in terms of attack so that's why maybe there's a perception that he had a good game. If he had misplaced a few passes when we were dominant in possession then this perception would change, but he had a good game because he was asked to do what he's very, very good at [defend], and he did it.

JFK's style may be a bit weird but his criticisms of Enrique seem to have actually encouraged Enrique. Some of the improvement that we've seen lately must go to Kinnear.

I still don't like him tbh. His positioning in defence is poor, and his distribution in attack is very unreliable.

He has his good moments, because he's very strong, but I hope we're still continuing to look for someone better.

Similar to NJS's criticism of Jonas in the match thread...with so many bad players in our squad, I find it weird how people are concerned about two of our better players in their respective positions. Left back and left wing are the least of our problems IMO, although it would be nice to have some back up for Enrique.

Guest timmy boy

He hasn't been done for pace all season, he is deceptively quick. His big test will be in our next home match when he is up against Ronaldo. 

He hasn't been done for pace all season, he is deceptively quick. His big test will be in our next home match when he is up against Ronaldo.  

Lennon was a bit of a handful for him but otherwise I'd agree. I'm a big fan of his.

Similar to NJS's criticism of Jonas in the match thread...with so many bad players in our squad, I find it weird how people are concerned about two of our better players in their respective positions. Left back and left wing are the least of our problems IMO, although it would be nice to have some back up for Enrique.

I think we can get away with cover from Raylor if we strengthen other positions.

I'd rather we signed a decent midfield than spunk good money on a full back.

I think we can get away with cover from Raylor if we strengthen other positions.

Definitely.

Is there any evidence to suggest Raylor makes a good left back? He seems decidedly right footed to me. Besides, we need him in midfield anyway. We are crying out for one or two central midfielders AND a left back for cover. Unfortunately, we've been saying this for the last two years; our "system" seems to unable or unwilling to deliver..

Guest Howaythetoon

He was superb in the main today and is the least of our worries. I'd love to see him in a better team as I think his weaknesses would be less exposed where as his strengths would be more better utilised. His distribution especially long is hit and miss but there is a clear intent behind most of his play, i.e. he tries to execute the right ball or a good ball, but it doesn't always end up such a ball. It is about 50-50 poor skill and poor movement/options ahead of him. That can be coached or learned (the skill part) so he isn't a lost cause in that sense. He's developing nicely I'd say, although I doubt we'll see a consistent best of Enrique in this average side and that can be said for a few others at the club too.

Was excellent today. Can't remember a single error today.

Spot on in every aspect of the game. :)

I can, was caught in possession which led to Nolan making that horrible tackle and getting sent off.

Other than that on the whole he had a good game.

Guest Heneage

Was excellent today. Can't remember a single error today.

Spot on in every aspect of the game. :)

I can, was caught in possession which led to Nolan making that horrible tackle and getting sent off.

Other than that on the whole he had a good game.

No blame for his team-mates who clearly didn't give him a shout, that's text book he should have had some warning.

Is there any evidence to suggest Raylor makes a good left back? He seems decidedly right footed to me. Besides, we need him in midfield anyway. We are crying out for one or two central midfielders AND a left back for cover. Unfortunately, we've been saying this for the last two years; our "system" seems to unable or unwilling to deliver..

I think that the fact that he played left back a lot for Wigan is good enough to indicate that he can COVER Enrique.

With Kadar and Bassong providing other alternatives, a penny spent on another left back, be it transfer or wages, is a penny wasted. Same goes for right back with Beye, Raylor and Saylor.

Played well today, apart from the part he played in Nolans sending off

How can you say he played n Nolan's sending off, it was a stupid tackle he made and totally unnecessary serves the stupid prick right if he gets a long ban.

Lennon was a bit of a handful for him but otherwise I'd agree. I'm a big fan of his.

He was a handful but I still believe that José had him in his pocket.

Always rated this boy as an excellent prospect - he has great qualities, and considering he is still just a year into the Prem and only 22, he could turn out to be NUFC's best LB since Beresford, AND he's a better defender.

If we go down, I guarantee a top side will sign him, poss Liverpool

He's been top quality in the last two games I've been two - Sunderland and Everton - especially Sunderland.

Growing in confidence and I've really noticed I think he's picking up tips from Bassong.  They way he's just timing his pushes to outmuscle others and win the ball is really something he started to do when Bassong arrived, and something I'm sure he's learned from him.

Good times.  Man of the match today, for me.

I thought he was excellent again today and he's shown a lot of bottle to take the shit that's been thrown at him by his manager and prove him wrong.

Our back four when fit are more than good enough, we just need to sort out the midfield in front of those and we'll be OK.