Guest michaelfoster

My age has nothing to do with it. Why did we get a s*** crowd against Bolton? Who was in charge then? Did we look like we were going to have our best season (at least) since we finished 7th under Roeder/Shearer?

For what it's worth, I agree that our crowds would be better if we were doing better and KK was still around. I don't think they'd sell out every game though, because of other factors that are particularly prevalent at the moment (and reflected in dropping attendances around the country - even in clubs on the up like MCity and Villa). The board and situation are a factor in decreasing crowds, but not the only one.

the crowd against Bolton was more indicative of the fact that people were not so happy with soopa mike as what it appears to be in comparison to a few hundred people who post on a message board.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if we were now in among the top clubs, or looking like we were going there, the entire allocation of NUFC seats would be sold out virtually every home game.

Ashley has not shown the ambition to cultivate that. That is why they are now going down, and they will continue to go down until supporters see grounds for new optimism.

My reference to your age was because I thought initially you were maybe a longer term supporter, but as is already obvious, that guarantees nothing anyway in the knowledge/denial stakes, and you could also be telling porkies even if you said you were. Not that I'm bothered either way.

i agree

My age has nothing to do with it. Why did we get a shit crowd against Bolton? Who was in charge then? Did we look like we were going to have our best season (at least) since we finished 7th under Roeder/Shearer?

For what it's worth, I agree that our crowds would be better if we were doing better and KK was still around. I don't think they'd sell out every game though, because of other factors that are particularly prevalent at the moment (and reflected in dropping attendances around the country - even in clubs on the up like MCity and Villa). The board and situation are a factor in decreasing crowds, but not the only one.

the crowd against Bolton was more indicative of the fact that people were not so happy with soopa mike as what it appears to be in comparison to a few hundred people who post on a message board.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if we were now in among the top clubs, or looking like we were going there, the entire allocation of NUFC seats would be sold out virtually every home game.

Ashley has not shown the ambition to cultivate that. That is why they are now going down, and they will continue to go down until supporters see grounds for new optimism.

My reference to your age was because I thought initially you were maybe a longer term supporter, but as is already obvious, that guarantees nothing anyway in the knowledge/denial stakes, and you could also be telling porkies even if you said you were. Not that I'm bothered either way.

Fair enough really. I agree if we were challenging with the top 4 we'd be sold out. I guess where the blame for the attendances lies all comes down why you don't believe we're in such as a position.

As it stands though, I still think we'd be selling more tickets if the country wasn't in such an economic mess. I think the same is true for almost every club in England.

If we still had 36k and 10,000+ waiting to come in most would be jizzing over it.

It's funny how having the nicest stadium in the country (and I honestly believe that) can make people have a pop at you.

Pure jealousy tbh. Teams like Villa, City, Everton and even Spurs can only dream of selling 52,000 tickets for a match.

its just a dream for us at the mo, and as for the nicest stadium, ...half of it maybe.

Man U, Liverpool and the Mackems will all sell out comfortably.

What will the Mackems sell out comfortably?

Guest toonlass

Man City and Aston Villa have been approximately as full as us this season. Everton less so. Sunderland spent a shitload and aren't as full. Do you think there might be slightly more to the attendance dropping than you say, NE5?

Btw, before you try and accuse me of it, I am not saying the current state the club is in has nothing to do with the current falling attendances, I am saying it doesn't tell the full story.

no, I don't.

I think if Keegan was still manager, or/and if the team was winning games and doing better, the crowds would be better.

I find this an amazing comment from someone ie yourself, who - I think - has witnessed the shit crowds and level of rebellion and apathy that existed before 1992 and hasn't surfaced in all this time until now.

If I am wrong about your age, then your reply doesn't surprise me.

The comment above by cp40 is spot on by the way, as was my earlier post along the same lines. The crowds will continue to go down if we keep losing, so what will you think is the reason for that ?

Keegan was still in charge when we played Bolton and we only got 47, 711 in compared to the 52,179 against Reading (I chose that game, third last home game of the season because the last two were Sunderland and Chelsea where we are almost guaranteed to sell out seats). So where were the 4468 other people? We were two games into the season, and had just got a brilliant draw against Manure.  Reading's away following is as crap as Bolton's so that is not the reason. So where were they, or do they all share NE5's crystal ball, which only ever seems to show doom, gloom and depression in it?

Guest Howaythetoon

On the away fans issue

I was speaking to a Wigan fan on saturday night and we were talking about attendances in general... well he basically started it off by asking how Wigan's turnout compared to others, and I said in terms of numbers they probably rivaled Villa and Spurs' turnout and were actually louder which they were in my opinion, which he was amazed at and quite chuffed with, acknowledging that Wigan are not the world's most well supported club home or away or the loudest.

Anyway he despite being a long-term supporter and a regular away dayer said he is becoming very very selective with his away days now, only going to places where the trip would be worth it regardless of win, loss or draw (he put an away day trip to Newcastle right up there) and he reckons many fans are now picking and choosing their away days along the same lines, saying how at Wigan's ground the away end hasn't always been full either.

We both agreed that following your team away isn't how it used to be like where a gang of lads could jump in a hire van and make a weekend of it, with both of us pointing the finger mainly at kick-off times and fixture date changes to accommodate TV. He said him and many others wouldn't have went to wor game if it had of been a sunday fixture or a midweek one.

We work hard all week and the weekends in general are our break time where we like to live it up a little. If you're a footy fan you have two choices these days come the end of the week, go on the lash with mates or take the lass and kids out or save the money, stay in and go and watch your team away in midweek, more often than not unable to even share a few drinks because of the rush to get back.

The Wigan mush said if it was a sunday kick-off or a mid-week game he'd be like a blue arsed fly getting to the match and then back hyem at a great cost and we talked about it and we both said we'd rather keep our money, stay at home and go out with friends at the weekend or the lass and kids and watch the match on the box at home with a few cans or in a pub after work before heading off to get some kip ready for work the next day.

Regarding our home attendances, I personally think they are absolutely fantastic and any club is doing well if they sell over 30,000 tickets never mind close to 47,000 whether you are in our situation or perfectly safe, stable and in good health further up the table.

Derby got 30K the other day - fan fucking tastic turnout that.

Should we go down? I reckon 40K average with a sell-out once or twice if it were a promotion rival or a top of the table clash or a match that decided promotion or dare I say it relegation.

Man City and Aston Villa have been approximately as full as us this season. Everton less so. Sunderland spent a shitload and aren't as full. Do you think there might be slightly more to the attendance dropping than you say, NE5?

Btw, before you try and accuse me of it, I am not saying the current state the club is in has nothing to do with the current falling attendances, I am saying it doesn't tell the full story.

no, I don't.

I think if Keegan was still manager, or/and if the team was winning games and doing better, the crowds would be better.

I find this an amazing comment from someone ie yourself, who - I think - has witnessed the shit crowds and level of rebellion and apathy that existed before 1992 and hasn't surfaced in all this time until now.

The comment above by cp40 is spot on by the way, as was my earlier post along the same lines. The crowds will continue to go down if we keep losing, so what will you think is the reason for that ?

Keegan was still in charge when we played Bolton and we only got 47, 711 in compared to the 52,179 against Reading (I chose that game, third last home game of the season because the last two were Sunderland and Chelsea where we are almost guaranteed to sell out seats). So where were the 4468 other people? We were two games into the season, and had just got a brilliant draw against Manure.  Reading's away following is as crap as Bolton's so that is not the reason. So where were they, or do they all share NE5's crystal ball, which only ever seems to show doom, gloom and depression in it?

my next post after this one expands on it a bit more.

A lot of people posted nowt but gloom and depression about the old board when they were at least trying to punch the clubs weight, complaining about how anybody else would do better than the fat bastard who was dragging it all down.

Ironic or what.

If I now post doom and gloom, then its because the situation is very much one of doom and gloom, as it has been ever since it became obvios Ashley wasn't going to show ambition as owner of the club to be successful like even the Halls and Shepherd were. Which was in my opinion about 13 months ago, when I started saying it. Sorry if being all doom and gloom was telling it how it is, but there you go. Its all now doom and gloom. The sooner he buggers off and we [hopefully] get somoeone in who shows ambition for the club, then it will continue to be doom and gloom. Unless you are happy with simply premiership survival, in which case the european qualifications of the last 15 years will end up being a truly great and forgotten memory of a brief period where we sat at the top table with the other top clubs. I hope everybody enjoyed it while it lasted.

no, I don't.

I find this an amazing comment from someone ie yourself, who - I think - has witnessed the s*** crowds and level of rebellion and apathy that existed before 1992 and hasn't surfaced in all this time until now.

A lot of people posted nowt but gloom and depression about the old board when they were at least trying to punch the clubs weight, complaining about how anybody else would do better than the fat b****** who was dragging it all down.

Ironic or what.

If I now post doom and gloom, then its because the situation is very much one of doom and gloom, as it has been ever since it became obvios Ashley wasn't going to show ambition as owner of the club to be successful like even the Halls and Shepherd were. Which was in my opinion about 13 months ago, when I started saying it. Sorry if being all doom and gloom was telling it how it is, but there you go. Its all now doom and gloom. The sooner he buggers off and we [hopefully] get somoeone in who shows ambition for the club, then it will continue to be doom and gloom. Unless you are happy with simply premiership survival, in which case the european qualifications of the last 15 years will end up being a truly great and forgotten memory of a brief period where we sat at the top table with the other top clubs. I hope everybody enjoyed it while it lasted.

nearly there. what you do is be honest. when i thought fred couldn't turn it round i wanted him to go but didn't want him forced out in the way the fans turned on ashley (mindlessly imo) as we could easyily have been left in the position we are now in of a board who wants out and no-one seeming to come in which wouldn't benefit the club at all (see ne5 i didn't want rid off fred at any cost).

when they do well say they do well, when they do poorly say it aswell.

but at least make it a level playing field.

no, I don't.

I find this an amazing comment from someone ie yourself, who - I think - has witnessed the s*** crowds and level of rebellion and apathy that existed before 1992 and hasn't surfaced in all this time until now.

A lot of people posted nowt but gloom and depression about the old board when they were at least trying to punch the clubs weight, complaining about how anybody else would do better than the fat b****** who was dragging it all down.

Ironic or what.

nearly there. what you do is be honest. when i thought fred couldn't turn it round i wanted him to go but didn't want him forced out in the way the fans turned on ashley (mindlessly imo) as we could easyily have been left in the position we are now in of a board who wants out and no-one seeming to come in which wouldn't benefit the club at all (see ne5 i didn't want rid off fred at any cost).

completely wrong. I said on many occasions I would be quite happy to see them replaced by better directors.

What I also stressed - was that this would in fact be very difficult, and those who just wanted him out for anybody [the vast majority and don't say differently because this is true] were being very naive, in fact massively naive if they thought that replacing a board who ran a club that only 4 clubs did better than, would be anything else.

Now we have had an owner who has chosen not to back his managers instead of the Halls and Shepherd who knew this was essential they still don't see the point, and most sadly of all a few of the older people who should know this, either dont' see it because they are idiots or are haven't got the balls to admit that the Halls and Shepherd were the best board that has run this club in 50 years.

no, I don't.

Ironic or what.

completely wrong. I said on many occasions I would be quite happy to see them replaced by better directors.

What I also stressed - was that this would in fact be very difficult, and those who just wanted him out for anybody [the vast majority and don't say differently because this is true] were being very naive, in fact massively naive if they thought that replacing a board who ran a club that only 4 clubs did better than, would be anything else.

Now we have had an owner who has chosen not to back his managers instead of the Halls and Shepherd who knew this was essential they still don't see the point, and most sadly of all a few of the older people who should know this, either dont' see it because they are idiots or are haven't got the balls to admit that the Halls and Shepherd were the best board that has run this club in 50 years.

a) how do you know they wouldn't have backed keegan but disagreed over the players he wanted ? (a bit like fred selling speed and robson nknowing nowt about it)

b) giving a poor manager more money to spend is a recipe for disaster. ie backing their manager is not the be all as yo make out.

Right, that's enough.  Fuck off back to the other thread O0

whats your opinion on the falling crowds then ?

Mine is that its down to the apathy, lack of positive direction and and the knowledge that we have owners that have zero ambition. Isn't that what the thread is about, or are you like melanchronic and only want to take part in debates that you agree with ?

Right, that's enough.  Fuck off back to the other thread O0

whats your opinion on the falling crowds then ?

Mine is that its down to the apathy, lack of positive direction and and the knowledge that we have owners that have zero ambition. Isn't that what the thread is about, or are you like melanchronic and only want to take part in debates that you agree with ?

Not in any way connected with the current harsh economic situation?

I'm not disputing any of the reasons you put forward (I'm not qualified to do so, and thus wouldn't try) but football doesn't exist in a vacuum.

NE5 has a point in so far as some people had sussed Ashley before the season started, unimpressed with his lack of ambition, and were more reluctant to go no matter what happened after or what the economic situation is. the prime example of this is how few of the corporate boxes were sold after those punters saw through ashley's superficial BS pretty quickly.

but i think the main reasons are those put forward by brummie and mowen, which is something effecting ALL clubs, not just ours. man city had 7000 empties the first home game after Arabs took over and signed Robinho. Villa had 6000 empty seats in their last home game, and that is for a team flying high in a stadium much smaller than ours.

NE5 has a point in so far as some people had sussed Ashley before the season started, unimpressed with his lack of ambition, and were more reluctant to go no matter what happened after or what the economic situation is. the prime example of this is how few of the corporate boxes were sold after those punters saw through ashley's superficial BS pretty quickly.

but i think the main reasons are those put forward by brummie and mowen, which is something effecting ALL clubs, not just ours. man city had 7000 empties the first home game after Arabs took over and signed Robinho. Villa had 6000 empty seats in their last home game, and that is for a team flying high in a stadium much smaller than ours.

The corporate boxes didn't sell because the club pushed the prices up to subsidise the cheaper tickets in the larger family section, something that a lot of them seen as taking the piss which is why a meeting was held between all corporate box owners and the club.

A lot of people are feeling the pinch at the moment and the first thing to go for some people will be the luxury of going to a football match that costs £30.

I'm not surprised if in the current economic climate some lads decide it's not worth it.  I expect some people have gone further and further into debt to pay for a season ticket in the past and had enough.  Given the shit they've been served up on a regular basis from Souness onwards, the lack of communication from the club under Ashley, the lack of exciting signings in the summer, and the contempt Sky have for fans in general,  it's no surprise to me. 

Plus my impression is that the club has done fuck all for years to attract kids, other than dressing two wankers up in bird suits, and are only doing something now in a bid to fill the empty seats.  The owners have lways gone on about the wonderful fans, but they've not given a shit really, and can't complain now when people stay away imo.  Like NE5 says, at least FFS put his money where his mouth was.

The corporate boxes didn't sell because the club pushed the prices up to subsidise the cheaper tickets in the larger family section, something that a lot of them seen as taking the piss which is why a meeting was held between all corporate box owners and the club.

A lot of people are feeling the pinch at the moment and the first thing to go for some people will be the luxury of going to a football match that costs £30.

it was becoming more obvious to the more slow minded, that his DOF bollocks was about to fail dismally. Quite a few still haven't cottoned on, but a lot of people have now paid for their season tickets. If the DOF bollocks continues under Ashley, expect a massive dive next season, perhaps even encompassing lower league football, which in itself will result in the further falling of gates and that would not be a symptom of anything else.

If the current financial climate eases, the gates will still be shit - in comparison to what they have been in recent years - if the club is relegated due to Ashley and his "plan", management structure and DOF bollocks. In fact, didn't you say the club needed a "plan" intimitating that such a plan leads to success or greater success than when they didn't have a "plan".

it was becoming more obvious to the more slow minded, that his DOF bollocks was about to fail dismally. Quite a few still haven't cottoned on, but a lot of people have now paid for their season tickets. If the DOF bollocks continues under Ashley, expect a massive dive next season, perhaps even encompassing lower league football, which in itself will be a result of falling gates and not so much a symptom of anything else.

If the current financial climate eases, the gates will still be shit if the club is relegated due to Ashley and his "plan", management structure and DOF bollocks. In fact, didn't you say the club needed a "plan" intimitating that such a plan leads to success or greater success than when they didn't have a "plan".

I expect a massive dive whoever is in charge because the country will be in a recession by then.

I said the club needs someone to build up the academy and to put in a better scouting network as both were shit, I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread though.

Guest toonlass

it was becoming more obvious to the more slow minded, that his DOF bollocks was about to fail dismally. Quite a few still haven't cottoned on, but a lot of people have now paid for their season tickets. If the DOF bollocks continues under Ashley, expect a massive dive next season, perhaps even encompassing lower league football, which in itself will be a result of falling gates and not so much a symptom of anything else.

If the current financial climate eases, the gates will still be shit if the club is relegated due to Ashley and his "plan", management structure and DOF bollocks. In fact, didn't you say the club needed a "plan" intimitating that such a plan leads to success or greater success than when they didn't have a "plan".

I like your patronising attitude. So only those who have "cottoned on" early enough to MA's bollocks are the ones who are not coming to the game any more. What about those who have thought MA was suspect for a while, but because of loyalty to Newcastle United are continuing to support the team. I personally couldn't care who is running the club, I will buy my season ticket because I follow Newcastle United, not Freddy Shepherd, not Mike Ashley and not the next owner of the club. When the DoF was announced in February I was not happy and knew that it wouldn't work but I knew I would still renew my season ticket because its the Newcastle United I support and not the owner, and I will continue to support the team, just like my dad, grandad and great grandad have.

I expect a massive dive whoever is in charge because the country will be in a recession by then.

I said the club needs someone to build up the academy and to put in a better scouting network as both were shit, I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread though.

rubbish.

The thread is about falling gates by the way, and this is my opinion as to why gates are falling.

And whats more, I'm right too. Just like I was when I told you the DOF bollocks would lead to absolutely nowhere, and, errr, falling gates as a result.

rubbish.

The thread is about falling gates by the way, and this is my opinion as to why gates are falling.

And whats more, I'm right too. Just like I was when I told you the DOF bollocks would lead to absolutely nowhere, and, errr, falling gates as a result.

So are you saying falling gates that are going on all around the country have nothing to do with the state of the economy?

Guest toonlass

rubbish.

You say that like you are the only person who knew that the DoF would be a load of shite!

I like your patronising attitude. So only those who have "cottoned on" early enough to MA's bollocks are the ones who are not coming to the game any more. What about those who have thought MA was suspect for a while, but because of loyalty to Newcastle United are continuing to support the team. I personally couldn't care who is running the club, I will buy my season ticket because I follow Newcastle United, not Freddy Shepherd, not Mike Ashley and not the next owner of the club. When the DoF was announced in February I was not happy and knew that it wouldn't work but I knew I would still renew my season ticket because its the Newcastle United I support and not the owner, and I will continue to support the team, just like my dad, grandad and great grandad have.

good for you.

Snap.

Also, patronising.

Thats 20,000 plus you and me when the supporters attracted to the club by the previous regime have all buggered off again.

rubbish.

You say that like you are the only person who knew that the DoF would be a load of shite!

I realise that is not the case, but I was making this point to baggy, who has championed it to the hilt and never stopped harping on about it.

I'm sorry if this opinion doesn't suit you, but in my opinion, this, and everything that has resulted from it, is the main reason why gates are down, and will only fall further while things remain as they are.

no, I don't.

Keegan was still in charge when we played Bolton and we only got 47, 711

Don't confuse him with facts.