Guest michaelfoster

As this is an attendance thread, just as a side thought: If we go down, will our attendance fall to 30k(ish)? Presumably ticket prices will fall and there's always been the theory that the majority of fans will always turn up for league games no matter what. I reckon we'd probably still get near enough 40,000.

If we go down, we will be getting 15-25000 next season.

Dont be ridiculous.

Only a handful of clubs in the country better our attendances. Given the shite football, the recession, poor away followings and people saving a few pennies before Xmas I'd say our attendances are pretty fucking good actually. 

What's Pompey's away following usually like? They must have brought less than 50 fans when they played the Mackems recently.

Its decent. I wouldnt consider it as one of the better followings who make their way to SJP, but their OK. Average numbers and decent noise.

I think they brought 1,000 or so to the mackems.

320 odd they took to sunlun, they will bring 400 here at most.

The average attendance from our 7 home league games this season, the highest being 50,242 against Hull & the lowest being 44,567 against Villa.

The next home game is 3 weeks today & we have 3 home games next month, we could finish the year with an average attendance under 47k. Considering we normally average 50k a season roughly.

Things do look bleak.

pathetic.

Just think about all those poor little 2nd rate clubs that all get sub-20,000 crowds.

Terrible. I bet they wish they had someone who would create a club that attracted 52,000 crowds.

Only a handful of clubs in the country better our attendances. Given the shite football, the recession, poor away followings and people saving a few pennies before Xmas I'd say our attendances are pretty fucking good actually. 

:thup:

Guest Heneage

Only a handful of clubs in the country better our attendances. Given the s**** football, the recession, poor away followings and people saving a few pennies before Xmas I'd say our attendances are pretty f***ing good actually. 

:thup:

Ive always thought this and have laughed when Sky point out the fact its dropped. Sorry like but its double what someteams are getting.

our highest home attendace was against hull? surely thats wrong seeing as all the talk of protests and boycotting the game, and obviously the fact that its hull?

They brought the full 3 thousand away fans though. We'd hit 50,000 every game if they were some decent away supports but this season I can only see Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, mackems and Boro selling the full allocation.

you always know that things are sinking on the pitch when people hide behind the crowd figures.

The shame is, the club has a core fanbase of about 20-25000. This has always been the case and upwards of that reflects how the team are doing and how optimistic people feel. Nothing more. The old board filled the stadium, the new board are slowly emptying it again.

As this is an attendance thread, just as a side thought: If we go down, will our attendance fall to 30k(ish)? Presumably ticket prices will fall and there's always been the theory that the majority of fans will always turn up for league games no matter what. I reckon we'd probably still get near enough 40,000.

Dont be ridiculous.

How many times, have you seen us relegated? ive seen it happen twice.

Dont be ridiculous.

How many times, have you seen us relegated? ive seen it happen twice.

Just the once, but even if we were to go down, the attendances would still be 30,000+.

The shame is, the club has a core fanbase of about 20-25000. This has always been the case and upwards of that reflects how the team are doing and how optimistic people feel. Nothing more. The old board filled the stadium, the new board are slowly emptying it again.

Every thread...

you always know that things are sinking on the pitch when people hide behind the crowd figures.

and yet ironically,out of my mates who still go. at least half only renewed because fred left.

Every thread...

pronounced, every FRED

Every thread...

is full of denial of the state the club is in now ?

Aye, thats right.

Shame one or two of us have to point out hometruths, much to your annoyance.

Meanwhile, is this thread about falling crowds or not ? Why do you think they are falling ? Do you think its because we are winning every game 3-0, entertaining crowds, scoring great goals and buying top footballers that the other trophy winning clubs themselves buy ?

You've just dragged yourself down massively here mel lad. Do you only want to post on message boards where people agree with you ?

Man City and Aston Villa have been approximately as full as us this season. Everton less so. Sunderland spent a shitload and aren't as full. Do you think there might be slightly more to the attendance dropping than you say, NE5?

Btw, before you try and accuse me of it, I am not saying the current state the club is in has nothing to do with the current falling attendances, I am saying it doesn't tell the full story.

Man City and Aston Villa have been approximately as full as us this season. Everton less so. Sunderland spent a shitload and aren't as full. Do you think there might be slightly more to the attendance dropping than you say, NE5?

Btw, before you try and accuse me of it, I am not saying the current state the club is in has nothing to do with the current falling attendances, I am saying it doesn't tell the full story.

no, I don't.

I think if Keegan was still manager, or/and if the team was winning games and doing better, the crowds would be better.

I find this an amazing comment from someone ie yourself, who - I think - has witnessed the shit crowds and level of rebellion and apathy that existed before 1992 and hasn't surfaced in all this time until now.

If I am wrong about your age, then your reply doesn't surprise me.

The comment above by cp40 is spot on by the way, as was my earlier post along the same lines. The crowds will continue to go down if we keep losing, so what will you think is the reason for that ?

My age has nothing to do with it. Why did we get a shit crowd against Bolton? Who was in charge then? Did we look like we were going to have our best season (at least) since we finished 7th under Roeder/Shearer?

For what it's worth, I agree that our crowds would be better if we were doing better and KK was still around. I don't think they'd sell out every game though, because of other factors that are particularly prevalent at the moment (and reflected in dropping attendances around the country - even in clubs on the up like MCity and Villa). The board and situation are a factor in decreasing crowds, but not the only one.

What's Pompey's away following usually like? They must have brought less than 50 fans when they played the Mackems recently.

Its decent. I wouldnt consider it as one of the better followings who make their way to SJP, but their OK. Average numbers and decent noise.

I think they brought 1,000 or so to the mackems.

450.... O0

Guest nufc_kev

If we still had 36k and 10,000+ waiting to come in most would be jizzing over it.

It's funny how having the nicest stadium in the country (and I honestly believe that) can make people have a pop at you.

Pure jealousy tbh. Teams like Villa, City, Everton and even Spurs can only dream of selling 52,000 tickets for a match.

If we still had 36k and 10,000+ waiting to come in most would be jizzing over it.

It's funny how having the nicest stadium in the country (and I honestly believe that) can make people have a pop at you.

Pure jealousy tbh. Teams like Villa, City, Everton and even Spurs can only dream of selling 52,000 tickets for a match.

its just a dream for us at the mo, and as for the nicest stadium, ...half of it maybe.

My age has nothing to do with it. Why did we get a shit crowd against Bolton? Who was in charge then? Did we look like we were going to have our best season (at least) since we finished 7th under Roeder/Shearer?

For what it's worth, I agree that our crowds would be better if we were doing better and KK was still around. I don't think they'd sell out every game though, because of other factors that are particularly prevalent at the moment (and reflected in dropping attendances around the country - even in clubs on the up like MCity and Villa). The board and situation are a factor in decreasing crowds, but not the only one.

the crowd against Bolton was more indicative of the fact that people were not so happy with soopa mike as what it appears to be in comparison to a few hundred people who post on a message board.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if we were now in among the top clubs, or looking like we were going there, the entire allocation of NUFC seats would be sold out virtually every home game.

Ashley has not shown the ambition to cultivate that. That is why they are now going down, and they will continue to go down until supporters see grounds for new optimism.

My reference to your age was because I thought initially you were maybe a longer term supporter, but as is already obvious, that guarantees nothing anyway in the knowledge/denial stakes, and you could also be telling porkies even if you said you were. Not that I'm bothered either way.

Guest nufc_kev

its just a dream for us at the mo, and as for the nicest stadium, ...half of it maybe.

Man U, Liverpool and the Mackems will all sell out comfortably.