Avram Grant vs Joe Kinnear

Guest sicko2ndbest

2nd in the league, 2nd in the carling cup and 2nd in the champions league last year.

still not good enough for some people on here but steve bruce is. my word.

So he won nothing then in his one season with a fantabulous squad

keegan won nothing with us after spending like a fucking madman for years. bring him back though, eh?

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Come on man. Suggesting Grant is a great manager because of that one season is madness man.

Suggesting he would not be an improvement based on that season is even worse though

Guest The Libertine

2nd in the league, 2nd in the carling cup and 2nd in the champions league last year.

keegan won nothing with us after spending like a fucking madman for years. bring him back though, eh?

Come on man. Suggesting Grant is a great manager because of that one season is madness man.

i havent said he's great. im saying he's better than Kinnear and he most definitely is.

Jesus wept.

No fucking way!! This man got the job at Chelsea on the back of his friendship with Pini Zhahavi and Abramovich. He had no fucking pedigree whatsoever before that. I'm sorry like, but one season managing a team of superstars in the premier league is nowhere near enough.

Shit manager, zero personality. No fucking way.

Agreed.

Lets get Shearer.

i havent said he's great. im saying he's better than Kinnear and he most definitely is.

Oh compared to Kinnear, definitely. But on the assumption we are talking about the next manager to come in when the new owners are in place, then I dont believe Grant is one of the people we should be looking at

Guest The Libertine

Oh compared to Kinnear, definitely. But on the assumption we are talking about the next manager to come in when the new owners are in place, then I dont believe Grant is one of the people we should be looking at

who, realistically, should we be looking at? another question is who can we realistically get?

who, realistically, should we be looking at? another question is who can we realistically get?

Million Dollar question isnt it as the list I think is very short. As we speak I do not know who realistically we could get but personally, I think that Spanish lad from Swansea might be worth a punt at the top level.

Monumental risk I know.

The thing is, we're simply in no position to appoint a permanent manager at the moment, imo anyway. If we gave Avram Grant a three-year contract, and he had a shaky start... the new owners might very well want rid. They might want rid regardless! That would mean another transfer window wasted, and another £3m wasted on paying off another manager. Not to mention the further turmoil the players would go through with another managerial transition.

For what it's worth, i think Grant did a really good job with Chelsea even though he had their world class squad to work with. In many respects they played better football than they did under Mourinho aswell. And i mean, it's not as if he simply sustained the Mourinho's good work - he wasn't there for three or four games - he was there for 75% of the season and took them to a Champions League final in the process. Which is more than previous bosses could do.

I also think he would be the perfect sort of manager to fit in with the criteria we've got set up at the moment, with regards to player recruitment. I'm fairly sure he had a DOF type role at Chelsea originally did he not?

I'd like him but only if Ashley was staying/it was interim.

Guest LucaAltieri

Grant, Shearer, or some total unknown a la Wenger.

The latter is obviously preferable as 1) They're cheaper. 2) There's no 'baggage'. 3) Enthusiasm and desire for the opportunity rather than a payday.

However that would require the new owners doing some research in advance. I'll not hold my breath.

Hard to judge Grant as a manager, he inherited an amazing squad and its hard for me to look past that fact. Most people could do well with the squad he had at Chelsea. He didnt really seem to have an overiding influence or presence at Chelsea after Mourihno left which leads me to believe that he isnt as good a manager as people would have me believe - howeverat this point in time we are in no position to be picky.

Id take him - i still think there are better candidates out there though.

Hard to judge Grant as a manager, he inherited an amazing squad and its hard for me to look past that fact. Most people could do well with the squad he had at Chelsea. He didnt really seem to have an overiding influence or presence at Chelsea after Mourihno left which leads me to believe that he isnt as good a manager as people would have me believe - howeverat this point in time we are in no position to be picky.

Spot on. And as sad as it is to say it, that fuckwit Bruce is one of them.

Think your being a bit harsh on grant there. People keep harping on about his Chelsea days but you've got to remember he's been a manager since 1980-odd. He turneed Hapoel Tikva from minows into title contenders, breaking the dominance the Maccabi clubs had on the Israeli league. He later managed both of the Maccabi clubs with a fair bit of success.

People will judge him on his short spell with Chelsea but its worth noting the man has put a hell of a lot into Israeli football.

The thing is, we're simply in no position to appoint a permanent manager at the moment, imo anywayIf we gave Avram Grant a three-year contract, and he had a shaky start... the new owners might very well want rid. They might want rid regardless! That would mean another transfer window wasted, and another £3m wasted on paying off another manager. Not to mention the further turmoil the players would go through with another managerial transition.

All this not hiring because we may be sold is just fucking shite. The people buying Newcastle will have meaga wonga they wont be chewed about the odd the £3 million if for by the small chance they don't like the current gaffer. The only fuckers who will bullet Grant on day one are pissed off Arabs if they takeover. I noticed Rafa, Sir Alex, Mark Hughes, Martin O'Neil & even back in the day so called takeover victim Ranieri lasted 14 months after Roman took over. Has any takeover happened where the new owners announce a new manager as part of there takeover plans?

Potential new owners will have the following problems to deal with: Find a manager & sort out quite a few players contracts & improve the squad because none of this being dealt with atm. They current owner is putting buyers off more than people who are not purchasing the "Guest Pie".

The longer Joe Kinnear is manager, the moreso "survival" becomes the season goal. As ridiculous as it is to say, we've still got an outside chance of Europe as it stands, but we'd have to sell the club before the next two games/have a new manager in.

Think your being a bit harsh on grant there. People keep harping on about his Chelsea days but you've got to remember he's been a manager since 1980-odd. He turneed Hapoel Tikva from minows into title contenders, breaking the dominance the Maccabi clubs had on the Israeli league. He later managed both of the Maccabi clubs with a fair bit of success.

People will judge him on his short spell with Chelsea but its worth noting the man has put a hell of a lot into Israeli football.

so? it means nowt

so? it means nowt

Aye, twenty-odd years in professional football management counts for nothing.

The thing is, we're simply in no position to appoint a permanent manager at the moment, imo anywayIf we gave Avram Grant a three-year contract, and he had a shaky start... the new owners might very well want rid. They might want rid regardless! That would mean another transfer window wasted, and another £3m wasted on paying off another manager. Not to mention the further turmoil the players would go through with another managerial transition.

All this not hiring because we may be sold is just fucking shite. The people buying Newcastle will have meaga wonga they wont be chewed about the odd the £3 million if for by the small chance they don't like the current gaffer. The only fuckers who will bullet Grant on day one are pissed off Arabs if they takeover.

Seriously short-sighted. It'd be very dangerous appointing a permanent manager before we're sold.

In one respect... the new owners do chuck him straight away. We're £3m out and the players have gone through more turmoil with another manager change. And we're a greater laughing stock, too.

On the other hand... they've promised to stick by him from the word go, and given him significant funds to build his own squad. But oh wait, a few months down the line, we're in a bad run and the owners get itchy feet cos he isn't their man. Bang... not only are we £3m down, but we're another £50m and a whole fucking squad down cos they stuck by him for a while - before deciding: "actually, nah".

We can't go employing full-time managers at the moment, it's far, far too risky.

so? it means nowt

I'm pretty sure there are other managers in other random European minnow leagues who have 20 odd years in football management (say in norway, sweden, cyprus, poland, bulgaria, etc...)

Why go for someone who's done it in Israel and not someone who's been managing for quite some time say in Holland or Germany or France?

Would you take Christian Gross as manager for example? What about Jacques Santini? Guy Roux maybe?

so? it means nowt

I'm pretty sure there are other managers in other random European minnow leagues who have 20 odd years in football management (say in norway, sweden, cyprus, poland, bulgaria, etc...)

Why go for someone who's done it in Israel and not someone who's been managing for quite some time say in Holland or Germany or France?

Would you take Christian Gross as manager for example? What about Jacques Santini? Guy Roux maybe?

I love it when an argument gets blown out of all proportion.

I wasn't saying just because he has a good record in Israel we should appoint him. I was simply saying it is worth pointing out he has that experience in his favour.

so? it means nowt

I love it when an argument gets blown out of all proportion.

I wasn't saying just because he has a good record in Israel we should appoint him. I was simply saying it is worth pointing out he has that experience in his favour.

Fair enough. But so do Barry Fry, Bryan Robson, Terry Venables, Tony Pulis and Joe Kinnear!

Just to clarify, it's not ONLY Grant's record that puts me off him, it's also his zero personality. He would not be able to handle the club in the state it's in.

All this not hiring because we may be sold is just f***ing s****. The people buying Newcastle will have meaga wonga they wont be chewed about the odd the £3 million if for by the small chance they don't like the current gaffer. The only fuckers who will bullet Grant on day one are pissed off Arabs if they takeover.

Seriously short-sighted. It'd be very dangerous appointing a permanent manager before we're sold.

In one respect... the new owners do chuck him straight away. We're £3m out and the players have gone through more turmoil with another manager change. And we're a greater laughing stock, too.

On the other hand... they've promised to stick by him from the word go, and given him significant funds to build his own squad. But oh wait, a few months down the line, we're in a bad run and the owners get itchy feet cos he isn't their man. Bang... not only are we £3m down, but we're another £50m and a whole f***ing squad down cos they stuck by him for a while - before deciding: "actually, nah".

We can't go employing full-time managers at the moment, it's far, far too risky.

What a load of codswallop. Mike Ashley, Lambrini & Dennis need to appoint the best the manager they can find as they are the current owners & commander in chief, they should not be fannying round because someone/somewhere who may buy the club may not like the man they appoint as gaffer.

Tell me which takeovers have happened & as a result of the takeover (not results) the manager has got sacked purely on a the takeover happening? I am talking about bloke getting sacked within a month of a takeover.

Guest Stephen927

No f***ing way!! This man got the job at Chelsea on the back of his friendship with Pini Zhahavi and Abramovich. He had no f***ing pedigree whatsoever before that. I'm sorry like, but one season managing a team of superstars in the premier league is nowhere near enough.

s*** manager, zero personality. No f***ing way.

Agreed.

Lets get Shearer.

:lol: