The Smoggies Vs Newcastle United (29/11/08) The Riverside 3pm PRE-Match Thread.

Guest Heneage

Even though i was against it at the time, in hindsight it's a crying shame we didn't sign Viduka three or four years ago.

:doh:

and

O0

Fantastic player, shame he either lacks the body or the mind to make the most of it (or both). Should have had a far more illustrious career.

I was against it cos he had a horrendous injury record and would have set us back about £5m at the time... plus it seemed to be Souness' big plan to bring him with Anelka and Boa Morte. I just didn't like the whole idea.

I have developed a brain since then, btw.

Guest nufc_kev

I was against it cos he had a horrendous injury record and would have set us back about £5m at the time... plus it seemed to be Souness' big plan to bring him with Anelka and Boa Morte. I just didn't like the whole idea.

I have developed a brain since then, btw.

So we know have knowledge that Souness wanted to bring in Owen, Keane, Anelka and Viduka in. Instead Freddy went for Luque :lol:

So on Saturday we could very realistically have a subs bench consisting of Harper, Taylor, Cacapa, Geremi, N'Zogbia, Ameobi & Viduka.

All of a sudden, the squad isn't looking too bad at all.

Things seem to be looking up, I just wish Barton was fit, we are so much better with him in the side.  It's also nice for Joe to have options on the bench, now he just has to decide to use them before its too late. 

Anyway I reckon we'll win this one

----------------------Given

Beye------Colo-----------Bassong-----Enrique

Geremi--Butt------------Guthrie-------Jonas

-----------------Owen

------------------------Oba

I included Geremi as he's the only one who can vaguely cross the ball in our squad.

I'll be really surprised if we get anything more than a draw out of this. If Viduka was starting I'd be more hopeful, otherwise we may continue to struggle for goals.

1-1

One goalless match constitutes a struggle?

I can't understand the comment at all. Only the top seven clubs plus Manchester 'we just spent £32,500,000 on a striker' City have outscored us so far. Liverpool in second place have scored a whopping four goals more than us.

I can't understand the comment at all. Only the top seven clubs plus Manchester 'we just spent £32,500,000 on a striker' City have outscored us so far. Liverpool in second place have scored a whopping four goals more than us.

It's obviously our terrible record of scoring in all but 2 in 16 competitive matches.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but despite the fact we've scored in most matches, we don't actually have a lot of goals in our team. Owen and Martins yes, but the midfielders contribute very few so we are relying on our front pair an awful lot. I felt a lot more optimistic when we had Owen, Viduka and Martins in tandem. Then it didn't really matter if the midfield all sat back.

Shola and Duff both out. Team picks itself then, with Taylor and Viduka on bench.

Source? Great news if true.

Sherla normally does alright against them so I wouldn't have minded having him around for this one.

Shola and Duff both out. Team picks itself then, with Taylor and Viduka on bench.

Source? Great news if true.

Sherla normally does alright against them so I wouldn't have minded having him around for this one.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1090072/Ameobi-Duff-sidelined-Newcastle-clash-Middlesbrough.html?ITO=1490

Part of me thinks that the squad can't handle more injuries, but I'll just be glad to have them out of the first team. Annoying thing is that they'd both probably be ok as subs but JFK keeps picking them!