Kinnear signs contract to the end of the season.

fuhg

Even if ashley allowed us to spend £20m in the window, which player would be crazy enough to join us? our manager is a makeshift until the end of the season and the club is up for sale and flirting with the relegation spots...

I'd be very surprised if we didn't see an exodus of players when the windows open again......its not looking good.

An exodus of which players exactly? Owen is probably leaving in any case, other than that who is there to get that worked up about?

Well nothing to really get worked up about but if I was currently in the team I'd be wondering how the future is going to pan out here. Everythings just so short term at the moment. I just hope we don't have to replace players too much, I'd rather just add to this tiny squad. Obviously theres some players I'd love to see the back of but we don't really have much choice but to keep them right now..

I'm not specifically talking about who leaves, rather how many could leave thats all.

i think most of the over-paid, under-achieving wasters on our books are sweating over getting new deals rather than walking away tbh. Owen and Given are the only ones who might get a better club, the rest can fuck off tomorrow as far as I'm concerned.

how anyone can say kinnear has done a bad job is beyond me. lets all have a look at hughtons record as caretaker shall we? and how long did it take keegan to win a game after allardyce was sacked and all the confidence was rockbottom? people point out the defeat at fulham, but lets bear in mind they have lost 1 home game, drawn 1 and won the rest! they are 9th for fucks sake. we should think ourselves lucky that they have found this guy, and that he is putting heart and soul into it, because otherwise noone would take the job and wed have hughton in charge for the whole season. hughton in charge wed be relegated, but kinnear has completely turned things round.

Guest The Toon Army from farawa

How can anyone say he's done a good job is beyond me. The teams we've played we should be higher up the table. To me it's been his tactics and substutions. We have the players, the way the league is at the moment.

When he took over we needed a manager and no one else wanted it. Venables tuned it down cause he wanted longer. When we got him no one would have had him on their lists. If he's such a good manager how come he's been out teh game for so long? It's not that he didn't want to work but no one wanted him.

He's been away from the top flight too long, was with Wimbledon. The games totally changed since then.

I'm dreading the transfer window as I think we'll get players that will be similar to the Wimbledon style, which just doesn't work now.

To be perfectly honest JK has perform way beyond my expectations when he was appointed. My expectations however were extremely low.

The obvious assumption that we can make from this is that the club will not be sold before the end of the season. This is not good news at all unless it's coupled with a complete overhaul of PR from Ashley and his board, an acknowledgement that mistakes have been made and a commitment to putting things right and backing the club. But we all know that's unlikely.

Will we survive? That's the big question this season, and for a club of our size, it is utterly embarrasing and simply not an acceptable situation to be in. But even if we do, the damage of the non sale may only give us a respite from a plunge down to the fizzy pop league. If we survive, Ashley will surely hand JK a longer deal, season ticket renewals will be in the toilet, and the squad's quality will deteriate as JK buys players on past reputation as opposed to current ability.

The future of NUFC is far from bright unfortunately.

If you're right then that throws everything that went before into complete turmoil. Why would JFk get to buy aged has-beens when the transfer policy of the club supposedly caused Keegan to walk because he couldn't get the players he wanted? They're going to throw all that out and let JFK pick and choose?

Your very last sentence however I am in complete agreement with, sadly.

In the set of circumstances we face it is probably the correct decision. What were you expecting Shearer to ride in on his white horse and save us from the clutches of a relegation dog fight?

Kinnear isn't an amazing manager, in fact he's anything but. He's slow to react in the dugout, he tends to flap his mouth a bit too much and generally the team is playing with a lot of inconsistency. However, with the club yet to be sold, a volatile fan base and an unsettled squad, who in their right mind would want the job? We're only going to be stuck with another interim manager who will be nothing more than a side step from Kinnear. Until Ashley sells this club we are never going to get a manager with anything about him.

Therefore it surely makes sense to just leave Kinnear be. The squad know him, he knows the squad and despite his apparent weaknesses we're still grinding out the odd result. Will it be enough to keep us afloat? Who knows? It's really a question of will the side that beat Villa and drew with Chelsea turn up more often than the one that fucked up against Fulham and Wigan.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Blatantly obvious to me that Kinnear was tapped up by Charlton, MA got wind, panicked, and give him what he wanted. End of Jan comes, no signings, JFK pissed off, no other jobs availible so he has to stick it out.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Was bound to happen, bigger worry is the trabsfer wibdow.

Biggest worry is that no top players will have heard of JFK therefore we will have no chance should we come up against a villa, spurs, let alone the top 4, who will probably go for similar standard players

Was bound to happen, bigger worry is the trabsfer wibdow.

Biggest worry is that no top players will have heard of JFK therefore we will have no chance should we come up against a villa, spurs, let alone the top 4, who will probably go for similar standard players

What so top players wouldn't come to the club purely because of JFK, not because of the situation the club is in?

I can't see this anywhere on the BBC website but on the sports bulletins on Five Live during my drive home they were reporting the sale is definitely off until the end of the season.

Also that he's been given permission to open contract talks with Owen and Butt (:rolleyes:).

Some of the reactions on here have given me a right good chuckle, sometimes I wonder if this fan base gets what it deserves.

I've said it before and i'll say it again but the levels of hysteria on this site far outweigh that in the stands at St James or the travelling fans.

I can see it now - Kinnear is heralded as a hero for masterminding our survival. Smith saves us from relegation on the last day of the season after getting in the way of a shot and accidentally knocking the ball in the opposition's goal. Deemed a legend by the club even though it is the only time he's managed to score for us, and thus gets the departing Owen's number 10 shirt. Kinnear gets given a long term contract, not much money to spend, and possibly the key to the city. And to top it all off, Ashley can't find a buyer so enters into a partnership with Freddy Shepherd and Douglas Hall.

I can see it now - Kinnear is heralded as a hero for masterminding our survival. Smith saves us from relegation on the last day of the season after getting in the way of a shot and accidentally knocking the ball in the opposition's goal. Deemed a legend by the club even though it is the only time he's managed to score for us. Kinnear gets given a long term contract, not much money to spend, and possibly the key to the city. And to top it all off, Ashley can't find a buyer so enters into a partnership with Freddy Shepherd and Douglas Hall.

Mick and Beermonster then announce their engagement, to much celebration on General Chat.

I bet Kinnear makes FA Cup Semi-Final/Final. If he does, he'll be hailed as a hero stay permanently IMO and we'll fall deeper into a struggling mediocre state

Christ, I bet your scintillating craic on a night out!

;-)

I'm disappointed with the implied news that the club is NOT on the verge of sale, that there is NO 'D-day' on the cards, and that the current state of debacle is set to continue for at least until the end of the season.

Fuck all to do with me assuming someone better would come in under these circumstances, the point is the circumstances themselves are not going to change.

No idea why some people are getting confused about this.

I'm disappointed with the implied news that the club is NOT on the verge of sale, that there is NO 'D-day' on the cards, and that the current state of debacle is set to continue for at least until the end of the season.

Fuck all to do with me assuming someone better would come in under these circumstances, the point is the circumstances themselves are not going to change.

Well if you look at it in the D-Day perspective, today was the D-Day we were promised, but it hasn't turned out how people hoped.

I don't personally think anyone better would want to come right now regardless of ownership.

For the people having a go at Kinnear I hope you get stabbed in the testicles. as for the money, I'm assuming there is some money that wasn't spent due to KK not agreeing with the system and that Kinnear will have little say over who comes in as it will Wise and co. conducting operations so don't spit the dummy just yet. As if we find another Jonas I'm sure we'll all be happy.

Again, there's not too many having a go at Kinnear from what I can see. It's the confirmation that we're destined to tread water for the rest of the season rather than moving on.

I want any manager of Newcastle United to do well, naturally.