Kinnear reckons he has final say on transfers...

Rich

We very nearly got Modric, Woodgate & Aimar under Keegan, so I don't think transfer funds was the problem.

We didnt get them therefore it didnt happen.

That's just about it, aye. If we had so much money readily available and had our sights on top players like that, why did we end up not buying anyone instead of them? Woodgate/Coloccini excepted.

I gave Ashley the benefit of the doubt all summer on the back of those bids but fuck all happened.

now we'll see just how true that henry, lampard etc story is.

Please tell me your drunk

if jk gets his men (who i imagine will be realistic targets) then questions have to be asked about just who keegan wanted.

Good luck proving any of that.

ok dont ask then. just assume he wanted realistic targets in the right areas but didnt get them because wise is a prick. makes more sense.

Or maybe Keegan wanted the kind of quality (genuinely attainable quality) he thinks we deserve but the club werent prepared to pay the going rate.

Just a thought like as a kind of counter argument

Modric? Woodgate? probably a few more i cant remember atm.

Modric trained with us btw.

but we didn't. it was the same story for all three transfer windows, a negligable net spend. and it's not like those players would've been on top of those we got - woodgate wouldve been instead of coloccini, it would've been aimar OR modric (turned out to be some no-mark on loan who should barely count). every time possible, colo and woodgate excepted, we went for the cheaper option, or just got no-one, and even with Colo, he has more by way of that much vaunted "resale value" that is so important.

now we'll see just how true that henry, lampard etc story is.

Please tell me your drunk

if jk gets his men (who i imagine will be realistic targets) then questions have to be asked about just who keegan wanted.

Good luck proving any of that.

ok dont ask then. just assume he wanted realistic targets in the right areas but didnt get them because wise is a prick. makes more sense.

Or maybe Keegan wanted the kind of quality (genuinely attainable quality) he thinks we deserve but the club werent prepared to pay the going rate.

Just a thought like as a kind of counter argument

Modric? Woodgate? probably a few more i cant remember atm.

Modric trained with us btw.

Aye, but as soon as he got on the train he leapt out of the window into the night and ended up on Tottenham Court Road. The rest is now history.

Didn't Keegan mention us having a club record bid for Modric accepted by Dinamo before the Euro's? £19m rings a bell but I could be wrong.

Which would obviously mean Ashley was prepared to seriously dip into his pocket or Keegan lied about it. 

Didn't Keegan mention us having a club record bid for Modric accepted by Dinamo before the Euro's? £19m rings a bell but I could be wrong.

Which would obviously mean Ashley was prepared to seriously dip into his pocket or Keegan lied about it. 

Or we were going to fund it by selling someone else, or the deal wasnt structured with enough upfront to satisfy the mamic brothers who controlled the move. not sure where keegan 'lying' comes into that.

Mort confirmed it in a programme (defo the higher bid than Spurs, anyway), so it wasn't [just?] Keegan lying. The point is why didn't all that money go on someone else? Surely they had more than one idea.

And if we'd got him btw, would that have been the entire summer's spending? :undecided:

We very nearly got Modric, Woodgate & Aimar under Keegan, so I don't think transfer funds was the problem.

That's just about it, aye. If we had so much money readily available and had our sights on top players like that, why did we end up not buying anyone instead of them? Woodgate/Coloccini excepted.

I gave Ashley the benefit of the doubt all summer on the back of those bids but f*** all happened.

Becasue the manager and board werent rowing in the same direction?

Are you actually arguing Ashleys intention of spending off the back of a few players turning us down?

Guest The Libertine

"If you had a list of the midfield players around Europe who Newcastle could possibly attract, Luka Modric would be one of them," said Keegan.

"I think we will get very good players here," said keegan ahead of Saturdauy's visit to West Ham. "We don't want squad players. I have had people ring me saying they have got good squad players. I want players who can come in and make a difference.

"Our recent form has made me feel we don't need six or seven players. And, because of the way we play, I know we need top notch players to come in and mix with the players we already have and add a little bit."

ambitious or deluded?

I gave Ashley the benefit of the doubt all summer on the back of those bids but f*** all happened.

Becasue the manager and board werent rowing in the same direction?

Are you actually arguing Ashleys intention of spending off the back of a few players turning us down?

Intentions mean fuck all when the actions don't back them up.

that reminds me - wasnt Keegan intimating that he'd be happy with 3-4 players? We did end up with 6.

It went up and down in every press conference. :lol:

End of the day, we are never going to find out and these claims and counter claims are just going to go on and on in big fat circles.

Lets move on, dig deep and focus on making the best of whats left.

Touché.

End of the day, we are never going to find out and these claims and counter claims are just going to go on and on in big fat circles.

Lets move on, dig deep and focus on making the best of whats left.

i know someone who should dig deep if he wants to make the best of whats left

Or we were going to fund it by selling someone else, or the deal wasnt structured with enough upfront to satisfy the mamic brothers who controlled the move. not sure where keegan 'lying' comes into that.

We either made the bid or we didn't. Keegan said we did.

Mort confirmed it in a programme (defo the higher bid than Spurs, anyway), so it wasn't [just?] Keegan lying. The point is why didn't all that money go on someone else? Surely they had more than one idea.

And if we'd got him btw, would that have been the entire summer's spending? :undecided:

We'll never know.  :undecided:

Maybe it was just a bluff by Ashley and he knew the player would always choose Spurs over us? I just don't know any more.  :-[

that reminds me - wasnt Keegan intimating that he'd be happy with 3-4 players? We did end up with 6.

Aye, but we lost Faye and Milner after all of that - two big parts of the first team squad.

I don't dispute that we did, but i imagine the deal wasn't structured right for the Mamic brothers. iirc we were only going to pay £6m upfront. Keegan was asked after the deal fell through if he would get funds and replied  - "I have no proof of that yet but I have no doubts he will (back me)."

we spent a record fee for a defender on Coloccini, if you froze time then you would think we'd have no problem with spending and would go on to spend more, but instead we sold faye and milner.

I don't dispute that we did, but i imagine the deal wasn't structured right for the Mamic brothers. iirc we were only going to pay £6m upfront. Keegan was asked after the deal fell through if he would get funds and replied  - "I have no proof of that yet but I have no doubts he will (back me)."

we spent a record fee for a defender on Coloccini, if you froze time then you would think we'd have no problem with spending and would go on to spend more, but instead we sold faye and milner.

That's fair enough.  :thup:

Just pointing out that we made a huge bid for one of the most highly-rated players in Europe in April and nearly got him. I've got no idea how we would have paid for him had we actually signed him but the intention was there. Not sure how many players we'd have had to have sold to raise £19m but it partially contradicts the accusations that Ashley wasn't prepared to spend a bit of cash.  ???