Kinnear reckons he has final say on transfers...

Rich

that reminds me - wasnt Keegan intimating that he'd be happy with 3-4 players? We did end up with 6.

Aye, but we lost Faye and Milner after all of that - two big parts of the first team squad.

I was all for Milner going, especially for that price as I think he's extremely average. But his versatility was a huge asset to us, to not replace him was madness.

We very nearly got Modric, Woodgate & Aimar under Keegan, so I don't think transfer funds was the problem.

We didnt get them therefore it didnt happen.

That's just about it, aye. If we had so much money readily available and had our sights on top players like that, why did we end up not buying anyone instead of them? Woodgate/Coloccini excepted.

I gave Ashley the benefit of the doubt all summer on the back of those bids but f*** all happened.

Becasue the manager and board werent rowing in the same direction?

Are you actually arguing Ashleys intention of spending off the back of a few players turning us down?

Intentions mean f*** all when the actions don't back them up.

What? What more action could the club of taken with Modric and Woodgate in particular?

These intentions alone give me the evidence i need to have some faith in Ashley. If Keegan was still here and we signed who we signed, id be pissed.

Why would anyone think that Kinnear would have more say on the choice of players than KK ?

The only reason would be that Ashley would fear that HE might also walk, although that is unlikely - Joe is on a good little number ; wouldn't be blamed too much if we went down, picks up almost a full year's decent salary, so he'd probably stick it either way..

Guest Darth Toon

Time will tell, but even if JFK is given a decent bit of cash and allowed to operate fully independently in this window that doesn't automatically mean the same must have applied to KK.

Have to consider the possibility Ashley/Wise etc did indeed fuck off KK by interfering with/fucking up his transfer plans, have now realised what a big fuck off mistake that was and have learned from it.

There is also the possibility that some of Keegan's transfer targets were totally the opposite the Ashley blueprint of buying young risiing stars who would appreciate in value and those are the ones that the board vetoed. I would imagine Kinnear will toe the line in this regard even if he does source his own players.

We very nearly got Modric, Woodgate & Aimar under Keegan, so I don't think transfer funds was the problem.

That's just about it, aye. If we had so much money readily available and had our sights on top players like that, why did we end up not buying anyone instead of them? Woodgate/Coloccini excepted.

I gave Ashley the benefit of the doubt all summer on the back of those bids but f*** all happened.

Are you actually arguing Ashleys intention of spending off the back of a few players turning us down?

What? What more action could the club of taken with Modric and Woodgate in particular?

These intentions alone give me the evidence i need to have some faith in Ashley. If Keegan was still here and we signed who we signed, id be pissed.

You know exactly what happened with Modric and how hard we tried to get him? I thought that was your thing, not having an opinion until you know all the facts. You may be happy to believe that we tried as hard as we could to get Modric, yet he went to Spurs for a lower transfer fee and lower wages, but it doesn't quite ring true to me.

There is also the possibility that some of Keegan's transfer targets were totally the opposite the Ashley blueprint of buying young risiing stars who would appreciate in value and those are the ones that the board vetoed. I would imagine Kinnear will toe the line in this regard even if he does source his own players.

Like 27 year old Coloccini our most expensive signing?

I'd imagine Kinnear will be looking for experience ahead of youth to get us out of a relegation fight tbh.

Guest The Libertine

You know exactly what happened with Modric and how hard we tried to get him? I thought that was your thing, not having an opinion until you know all the facts. You may be happy to believe that we tried as hard as we could to get Modric, yet he went to Spurs for a lower transfer fee and lower wages, but it doesn't quite ring true to me.

also just won a cup, had european football, spent/spending big and well enough (imo) in the summer to be pushing for europe again and london is better than newcastle in most peoples opinions. woodgate also admitted as much when he turned us down.

also just won a cup, had european football, spent/spending big and well enough (imo) in the summer to be pushing for europe again and london is better than newcastle in most peoples opinions. woodgate also admitted as much when he turned us down.

There was other reasons why Woodgate couldn't come to play for us, which is quite common knowledge.

Signed them. Had a plan B for that transfer window.  

So you have faith in someone who didn't sign players :lol: .  I guess you have newspaper clippings of the failed bid to bring Rooney to Tyneside.

Guest The Libertine

There was other reasons why Woodgate couldn't come to play for us, which is quite common knowledge.

and very, very believable. (no idea which specific one you mean as ive seen at least 3 completely different "versions" of this)

Like 27 year old Coloccini our most expensive signing?

I'd imagine Kinnear will be looking for experience ahead of youth to get us out of a relegation fight tbh.

nice try, mid to late 20's is widely considered the best time of a defenders playing career & should the player be fit enough and good enough could easily play for 6-7 years from that starting age

what point are you trying to make?

the implication has always been there that keegan wanted/asked for the likes of henry which is a different kettle of fish as you'd be paying more money (10m+ easy) for an older increasingly injury prone player whose performances have diminished as his years tot up

a 27 year old stalwart of the Argentinian national defence for 10m still remains a good deal for me, although he certainly doesn't look as assured as ayala or someone he could end up being a useful player for the club if he's ever partnered with someone above average

I shudder to think which shitheads we're going to end up with if its left upto Wise and Kinnear to pick. We're crying out 1 or 2 CM's and a Milner/Faye replacement but with their inepitude coupled with limited money and clubs reluctant to sell we could end up with some poor players in.

and very, very believable. (no idea which specific one you mean as ive seen at least 3 completely different "versions" of this)

I haven't heard this, wouldn't be able to share at all could you?

the implication has always been there that keegan wanted/asked for the likes of henry which is a different kettle of fish as you'd be paying more money (10m+ easy) for an older increasingly injury prone player whose performances have diminished as his years tot up

a 27 year old stalwart of the Argentinian national defence for 10m still remains a good deal for me, although he certainly doesn't look as assured as ayala or someone he could end up being a useful player for the club if he's ever partnered with someone above average

The great smear that came from Ashleys paper of choice The News Of The World (his level). I read on here Guthrie was a Keegan signing which I think is based on the fact the Guthrie is someone who played club football in England, meaning Tony La-Liga would not know much about him. So we can chuck Guthrie into Keegans MUST HAVE list of Henry, Ronaldinho & Lampard & it looks fucking ZaNeY as hell.  This being the same Keegan who said at the end of last season we cant compete with top 4 but after recharging his batteries in the summer after his telling off in the close season, he comes in DEMANDING some of the greatest players in world football in recent times & Guthrie.

As for Colo being a stalwart for Argentinian national team defence, he is not, he is a squad player.

Guest The Wise Guy

Im not sure if Kinnear will have the final say on the dealings but even if he doesnt, I dont think he will do the same thing as Keegan because the job he is having now is much greater than the prospects he could have if he decides to leave.

Well in his statement he said he was prepared to put £20m per season in himself (if he was telling the truth.)

Which he has clearly done.  Oh no, wait we actually have a transfer budget in the black since he came (even though we picked up £30 million + from Sky last summer as well).

The comments regarding transfers from Kinnear look like he's got the same speech writing team as Keegan had from January onwards - "I'm in control", "I identify players and Wise buys them".  My prediction will be more out than in thoughout January.

Guest The Libertine

The great smear that came from Ashleys paper of choice The News Of The World (his level). I read on here Guthrie was a Keegan signing which I think is based on the fact the Guthrie is someone who played club football in England, meaning Tony La-Liga would not know much about him. So we can chuck Guthrie into Keegans MUST HAVE list of Henry, Ronaldinho & Lampard & it looks fucking ZaNeY as hell.  This being the same Keegan who said at the end of last season we cant compete with top 4 but after recharging his batteries in the summer after his telling off in the close season, he comes in DEMANDING some of the greatest players in world football in recent times & Guthrie.

As for Colo being a stalwart for Argentinian national team defence, he is not, he is a squad player.

keegan said in april he didnt want squad players and only wanted 4 or 5 "absolutely top quality" players. enter guthrie and bassong. lampard wasnt available apparently.

We actually picked up some decent players despite it all in the summer. A few more and we'll be fine, it's the quantity rather than the quality that's the real issue in a relegation battle (bar cm which could do with an upgrade).

I shudder to think which shitheads we're going to end up with if its left upto Wise and Kinnear to pick. We're crying out 1 or 2 CM's and a Milner/Faye replacement but with their inepitude coupled with limited money and clubs reluctant to sell we could end up with some poor players in.

This summer we replaced Ramage, Milner & Faye with Bassong, Gutierrez & Coloccini.

Which three would you prefer?

This summer we replaced Ramage, Milner & Faye with Bassong, Gutierrez & Coloccini.

That's pretty much the point I was making. We can't really tell about Xisco and Nacho, but the scouting team seems to have done its job in the sense that we've brought in some decent players. If we can get 3 or 4 more in with only Smithy out we'll comfortably be fine.

We're also up financially on those players too. About £3m?