Owen's overall game

Guest neesy111

lalalalala

feel good now critisizing the best thing we have?  let's see how even more fucked we are when he goes next month.

Typical 4-2-2 Owen today - two goals due to his positional sense and contributed fuck all else.

Yeah what a useless prick, only managing to get 2 goals..

Unless we clone him before he leaves we won't have ONE striker for the reast of the season with the intelligence to get in the right posotions like Owen does.

Humble pie will be the best thing for a lot of people on here, fucking clueless.

Yeah what a useless prick, only managing to get 2 goals..

Unless we clone him before he leaves we won't have ONE striker for the reast of the season with the intelligence to get in the right posotions like Owen does.

Humble pie will be the best thing for a lot of people on here, f***ing clueless.

Notice the thread title, "Owen's overall game". Nothing in this game has done anything to disprove the points made here and infact these points may have even been further emphasized. So why don't you feed that humble pie to your dog or something, it sure is not to be served at this dinner.

not exactly his fault, but he was invisible in the 2nd half, just wasnt involved in the general play, never mind providing a threat.

whether through design or chance, kinnear actually hit on a system that gave owen a lot of support, space in the box and chances today. only for him to throw it away with mindless subs. losing guthrie was a blow, but so was putting jonas in the middle and beye on the wing, taking martins off and stripping our side of its last remaining central midfielder.

in the 4-3-3 owen has martins and viduka ahead of him doing a lot of work, using their pace, vision, creativity to create openings for him. in the first half he usually had jonas, martins and n'zogbia ahead of him doing the same. in the 2nd half it was only martins in front of owen who was having to try and latch onto long balls, and then Viduka who has as much pace as my nan.

This car I bought doesn't sail for s***.  Sure, it still drives and gets me places but FFS why can't it transport me across water.  Worthless iyam.

What a s*** analogy.

Better analogy: The car I bought parks and turns better than any other I have ever driven. However, it can't get past 30 KPH on the motorway.

Seems a daft thing to say but when he's not scoring he's no use to the team whatsoever.

Should have been the one to make way rather than Martins, who was stretching them. Once he went off they instantly pushed 15 yards up the pitch as there was nothing to fear.

his finishing is nothing special, accuracy is 50:50, power is weak and left foot is poor, it's the positions he gets into (invariably around the 6 yard box) that makes the difference and is world class. his stats will always be high because he doesnt go for risky or difficult shots or shots from distance which is why "The 28-year-old hasn't taken a shot from outside the box yet this season" according to that site.

Guest The Libertine

his finishing is nothing special, accuracy is 50:50, power is weak and left foot is poor, it's the positions he gets into (invariably around the 6 yard box) that makes the difference and is world class. his stats will always be high because he doesnt go for risky or difficult shots or shots from distance which is why "The 28-year-old hasn't taken a shot from outside the box yet this season" according to that site.

was his west ham goal outside he box?

Guest Stephen927

When he was dropping deep in that 4-3-3 he was contributing a lot, as well as scoring his fair share.

Can't see why he isn't told to drop deep behind Martins and have a similar role like the 4-3-3 but in a 4-4-2.

Or we could just play all 3 at once when Viduka is fully fit.

He seemed to do so much more for the team in the three man attack Keegan used but away at Chelski Owen really played hard for the team. Maybe its JK telling him to push on more and not drop so deep? I do hate it when we get all 10 back to defend corners nad freekicks though, we should leave Owen higher up the pitch so we at least have some chance on the counter.

Guest Stephen927

He seemed to do so much more for the team in the three man attack Keegan used but away at Chelski Owen really played hard for the team. Maybe its JK telling him to push on more and not drop so deep? I do hate it when we get all 10 back to defend corners nad freekicks though, we should leave Owen higher up the pitch so we at least have some chance on the counter.

Agree about the corners. Leaving Owen up field while we defend corners means they have to have a man or two back, rather than being able to put as many men forward as they feel like.

Why does he only have fifteen shots though? He's featured in twelve games. He's started eight times as well. That's not even two shots per start let alone appearance. Anyway, I guess it's good he's putting away chances, but this does seem to support the theory of him needing it on a platter for him to shoot, let alone score. Very crucial for us anyway.

*Anelka has been ridiculous this season. Chelsea fans are always on his back, but the stats shows show he's been getting chances and taking them. Those spoiled fans should really learn to be grateful.

Guest Howaythetoon

There is nothing wrong with Owen's overall game, when he was at Real Madrid his technique was assessed as they do with every player and he was in the top 5% in terms of technique according to their technical assessor. He's not the most skillful of players but he more than makes up for that with good technique. His game simply isn't to hold the ball up though, lead the line or "get involved", although he can do that as he showed under Keegan playing deeper. A player like Owen spends most of their time on the pitch trying to work angles, running, making space and reading the opposition marker or defence which requires a great deal of discipline and mental strength to stay so focused and "ready" to pounce. He's a marksman and that's what purpose he serves best.

Guest rebel_yell12

Why does he only have fifteen shots though? He's featured in twelve games. He's started eight times as well. That's not even two shots per start let alone appearance. Anyway, I guess it's good he's putting away chances, but this does seem to support the theory of him needing it on a platter for him to shoot, let alone score. Very crucial for us anyway.

*Anelka has been ridiculous this season. Chelsea fans are always on his back, but the stats shows show he's been getting chances and taking them. Those spoiled fans should really learn to be grateful.

Owen's 19 shots (from my stats...) in the league this season came across approx. 820 minutes (each sub app has been about 20 min. iirc, witih one 40 min.), so that's one shot every 42 min.  So...one shot per half.  That's not particularly good.  But he's scored 6 goals in 820 minutes which is one every 136 min.  Better than 1 in 2 for matches, which is usually considered the mark of a top-class striker, yeah?  I'm not sure it's evidence he needs it "on a platter" (see his goal v. West Ham, or the fact that some of his goals are scramblers on the rebound, etc.) though.  I think it may just be evidence of what everyone already knows.  Owen needs a midfield or system that creates for him.  He doesn't shoot from distance.  Even when arriving late last year, he rarely made a flare or distance shot.

In comparison, Martins' 36 shots this season came across 990 minutes, so that's one shot every 27.5 min -- a much better number, I should think.  But he's scored one goal every 198 minutes, which is on average him needing 60 min. more playing time per goal than Owen does.  So...which is the better option?  The one who doesn't often shoots but still scores more goals per minute?  Or the one who is going to take riskier shots, though he scores from them less often?  Assuming, of course, that we are JK and we can only play two strikers at any given time and someone has to make way for a "big man" like Viduka. 

Then, this thread is about his overall game, isn't it?  Personally, I think it's quite good.  He played well against Chelsea basically man-marking Mikel -- not the usual job for a club's "star" striker, is it?  He looked class in the 4-3-3 as a deep-lying striker/pseudo-attacking midfielder.  Despite what everyone says, I'm not sure Michael Owen is actually limited to being a 4-4-2 striker now (in fact, he looks better & contributes more in the 4-3-3).  He's diversified.  Now if only JK would do as well.

was his west ham goal outside he box?

just inside. i think i remember a shot from outside the box but i might be mistaken. basically, i think stats like that are a stupid way of comparing players, though they have their uses when put in context.

*Anelka has been ridiculous this season. Chelsea fans are always on his back, but the stats shows show he's been getting chances and taking them.  Those spoiled fans should really learn to be grateful.

After reading your first paragraph questioning Owen, I can't believe you've got the nerve to say that about Chelsea fans at the end.  Typical of some of our supporters.

Guest sittingontheball

I think Owen is still a class player. I think he would be able to contribute a lot more in terms of layoffs and pulling defenders out of position if our midfield, esp. center midfield, had even the slightest ability to get forward or score goals. Even a Pele layoff to Damian Duff or Nicky Butt isn't going to get you a goal.

Considering the support and average quality of service they get, I think Owen and Oba do pretty well.

As for Anelka, until the last three or four weeks, it seemed like he was only scoring against the weaker teams or when the game was already won. His Mackem hattrick etc. It looks like he's settled and got his confidence back now though.