Owen's overall game

Guest neesy111

he is neat and tidy but his game is mostly centered around being in the box. create a side in which he can flourish, and let him get on with his responsibilities and he'll do them well, he'll get the ball and shift it on impeccably as soon as he can. no he wont make runs out wide, no he wont stretch defences, or make that killer pass, or dribble past players, or challenge in the air, or hold off defenders. but those are things other players should be doing, meaning that owen can stick to doing what he does best. the problem starts when the players to do those things for owen are missing or arent doing their jobs. without the support and supply he may as well be invisible.

mind you i wouldnt say he scores 9 times out of 10, more like 5 times out of 10, he misses at least as many as he scores, though the fact he gets so many chances is testament to his anticipation and movement in the box

Spot on. Put him in a team that creates he'll score for fun. Unfortunately he's had to play in front of the likes of Butt and Duff for years now.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I do not think Owen is going to get any better, and to offer him anything near what he is on is ludicrous.

3 years x 100000 = 15.6 million

8mil on an up and coming star offering 45-50000 would work out the same. In fact you could probably buy Zaki for what you offer Owen

Sell him and spend on the money on Ashton or Yakubu

Yakubu, yes, brilliant player IMO.

Ashton, if fit is a quality player, but keeping him fit is the problem & we dont exactly have a good record of keeping injury prone players fit.

Similar to Owen in some respects, does nothing for 90 minutes but can still score the all important goals that win games. His problem is his work ethic really.

Ashton, if fit is a quality player, but keeping him fit is the problem & we dont exactly have a good record of keeping injury prone players fit.

Similar to Owen in some respects, does nothing for 90 minutes but can still score the all important goals that win games. His problem is his work ethic really.

Very true.

Just think that he would be a good signing for us, especially under JFK because he is strong and good in the air, just an all round better player than Ameobi, seeing as though he doesnt look like changing his style of play now. Not like Everton are going to sell him like!!

Very true.

Just think that he would be a good signing for us, especially under JFK because he is strong and good in the air, just an all round better player than Ameobi, seeing as though he doesnt look like changing his style of play now. Not like Everton are going to sell him like!!

No, Yakubu is not brilliant. He scores a lot of goals wherever he goes, but his other contributions are just too little. He doesn't even try to assist in other areas. So when he's not scoring goals or n form, he becomes a massive liability really.

Very true.

He has all the attributes to be a top Premier League striker but his lack of work ethic mean at times your essentially playing with ten men. So if you get a manger who would motivate and inspire him, yes he'd be a very good signing.

Having said that he'll still guarantee you goals at the end of the day.

Its another shoddy indictment upon the club that a player unwilling to commit his future to Newcastle is handed the captains armband.

I like his goals but as a bloke he's a top grade arsehole.

Its another shoddy indictment upon the club that a player unwilling to commit his future to Newcastle is handed the captains armband.

Hows that like?

Its my own opinion but I think he has treat Newcastle with contempt during his time here.

Hows that like?

Its my own opinion but I think he has treat Newcastle with contempt during his time here.

Fair enough, although off the top of me heed I can only think of this contract business that could be classed as him being held in contempt by some.

Today was possibly Owen's worst game for us. Totally anonymous and should have been the one to make way instead of Oba, who was doing all the work up front.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Owen cannot play in a 4-4-2, at least not in a side like ours.

Stupid thread.

Yes he was poor today etc etc. but hes been out for f***ing ages man!!

He is a top class finisher and when the team is playing well he shines, he drops deep and sprays the ball about with ease and rarely gives it away.  When we are poor, he is mostly poor but what can you do eh?

I wish all the Owen haters would f*** right off tbh.

I'm no Owen hater, but he didn't look interested today, Martins looked twice as likely to do anything, and I believe Kinnear's continued belief to prefer MO over Oba will cause friction in the camp, as it was clear Zoggy was blowing as well when Martins went off.

The old boys club of Butt, Duff and Owen is still going strong on this evidence.

The good thing for Kinnear is he won't have to make a decision yet, if at all. Viduka will take 2 or 3 sub appearances to be deemed fit enough to start, that takes us up to Spurs on the 21st of December. After that we're into the Christmas matches so he can play the "rotation" card. After that it's January and Owen could be off at any point. Easy

Guest optimistic nit

despite him being a good finisher, does he offer anything else

hardly got a touch first half,

not got much pace,

can't be used as a target man,

not really a captain as well,

then he is every manager's pet and won't get taken off at all despite other's looking more capable of scoring or him having a stinker

In fairness to Micheal, he does have quite a good first touch.

Eh? Owen's movement absolutely pisses on Oba's, even if his pace doesn't.

i dont really agree there. owen's positioning pisses over oba's, but in terms of movement and offering midfielders options martins is far better.

despite him being a good finisher, does he offer anything else

hardly got a touch first half,

not got much pace,

can't be used as a target man,

not really a captain as well,

then he is every manager's pet and won't get taken off at all despite other's looking more capable of scoring or him having a stinker

In fairness to Micheal, he does have quite a good first touch.

Eh? Owen's movement absolutely pisses on Oba's, even if his pace doesn't.

i dont really agree there. owen's positioning pisses over oba's, but in terms of movement and offering midfielders options martins is far better.

i don't really agree there,oba drops deep and shortens the whole game. his best games for us....only one this season(villa at home),are where he plays between the centre half and full back NOT when he is trying to help all over and NOT as he reverted to the game after playing between the centre halves. too many times the midfield get slagged off for holding on too long (cos no forward has made a move) or for playing it blind when no forward has made a move.

Offer him in part exchange for Elano in January would be the best thing for all parties.

City get a player they've been linked with for ages and we get someone who can bridge the gap between midfield and attack that can also take a frekick better than Nicky Butt.

Guest The Wise Guy

Owen is a great player and he is as we all know already, he natural goal scorer. He will probably score 9 times out of 10 chances but he is not one to try and tackle and get the ball from the opposition or dribble the ball past a few players and score a goal, therefore, I dont think the style of his play suits at the club because we rarely create many good chances especially when we are playing away from home. He is not able to maximise his full ability at the club but nevertheless, he is just as important and I would love to see him staying.