Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

I'm not sure about the whole trial thing being the way the system should work, as most clubs won't necessarily let a player come on trial.

For example this Sakho kid we are linked with is clearly a big prospect and I doubt they would let him come on on trial first.

I was more referring to the scouting system itself, if a player comes in on trial then the manager has the say. As was obviously stated, and it also isn't a new thing in football despite what people on here would have you believe. Scouts go out and identify a player, manager takes a look at him and decides if he wants him in his team. It's hardly rocket science.

yeah one of charlie woods contacts told him about n'zogbia, he watched him, got him over for a trial and robson decided to sign him up. one problem we had was after robson our scouting system was neglected and under roeder we only had one senior scout (though even roeder banged on about the need to build up our scouting system). so its no bad thing when ashley okays the hiring of more of them and hopefully we'll continue to build up a good network with vetere, hallom, longoria, fuccillo etc. the problem i have has never been with these scouts, but with giving them or other members of the board the final say on transfers ahead of the manager - it causes more problems than it seeks to solve, as we've seen.

Guest Heneage
Yeah I'm just looking for it. Bugger i'll type it up.

Hey Wes, how are you finding Newcastle?

I like Newcastle, there is everything I need here.

Did you know much about Newcastle before you moved here?

Yes I did - I heard about Newcastle when they played in the Champions League and Uefa cup.

What were your first impressions when you arrived at St James' Park?

I was really impressed, it's much better than in France it's very big.

Have you found any good places to eat since you moved here? I know you said your cooking wasn't the best.

Haha ! Yeah man I like Nando's.

Who is the friendliest first team player?

Charlie, because I used to be with him at the academy in France' he did show me everything last year and translated lots of words in English for me, he's a good friend.

Does he still translate English for you or do you have a tutor?

No I just speak with people, I just improve that way.

Who would you say is your best friend with the first team?

Er well, all the French speaking guys , we go out together and are all good friends.

And as a musician who's the worst dancer?

Ha! I don't really see them dance much! (On the sly he said Habib is a good little mover)

Have you been making your music for long? Did the music come before or after the Football?

I started making music seven years ago, but my Football is always first!

Have you heard of "The John Barnes Rap" and Ryan Babel? Maybe competition? ( I then showed him Barnes it and he then started singing it)

Haha! "You got to get to the line...Am the England man" Err what does that mean? I don't know!? But yeah I have heard Babel, he is very good!

Outside of French Hip Hop is there any other artists you like?

Oh yeah, I like Dizzee Rascal and Stryder man but I wanna hear more for sure!

Do you find that music influences you much?

Nah not really, we have a style in France and England have a style.

What was the last CD you bought?

Err Sefyu, he is a fRench rapper, and I will buy Booba [French Rapper] new album soon!

Any plans for an album in English ? I know your current work is all French?

Err yeah one day, my English is not so good now. But I will try a little bit!

Does your little brother want to be a Musician?

No no I want him to be good in school then we will see. At least for the moment!

How do you relax at Week-ends? Do you hang out with Team-Mates?

Err many things, write lyrics, and spend sometime with guys like Charlie, Mandela (Geremi) or the new guy Bassong.

Do you play many Video games?

Yeah I play Pro Evo 09  a lot! But I'm not on it?!

How's the injury recovery going are you feeling stronger?

Oh yeah now its just the light training but I want to be back scoring soon 2009 is my year!

And if you could pick one player to sign for Newcastle and one Rapper to work with who would it be?

For Newcastle, Samuel Eto'o he is brilliant! And for music I like Dre.

There you go guys!

Tooj you're right the scouting system is not a brand new idea, most clubs do have one in place, I don't think anyone is saying it's genius.

It's more like it's great cos we're picking up good players on the cheap, not that it's innovative.

Yeah, obviously most clubs have a scouting system, but not of any real note.

When the info came out on the people who had been brought in, in particular Jimenez and Vetere, I think it was fairly clear that they had a hell of a  lot of experience and some major footballing contacts around the world.

Hopefully, it's something we can really begin to fully exploit now, as we clearly weren't able to in the summer, when there seemed to be too much of a difference of opinion a lot of the time.

How did he do when he played in the french league? Was he well known and did people there rate him?

I hadn't heard of him before tbh...Im going to watch alot of french football from now on. Now that i have uppgraded my channel package..

How did he do when he played in the french league? Was he well known and did people there rate him?

I hadn't heard of him before tbh...Im going to watch alot of french football from now on. Now that i have uppgraded my channel package..

Who? Bassong?

Who? Bassong?

Bassong yeah

Who? Bassong?

Bassong yeah

From what I remember from the old thread there was a link to a Metz site were they thought they had robbed us because we paid 3 million euros for him.

You talking about Bassong? He wasn't a star or anything. I remember him being discussed as a future star though. Even though he is young, he had been a common part of the Metz first team for like three years. I think we only really got him so cheap because Metz were relegated.

He was part of a Metz team that went down last season, is an x-member of the Clairefontaine Academy.

As for watching French Football it is one of these things that you think you will do but after a while you get bored as most games look like poor African Nation Cup games.