Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Guest Heneage

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5854476.ece

From The Times March 6, 2009

Bassong has been a rare positive in another gruelling season for Newcastle. Signed from Metz last summer, the 22-year-old Frenchman has been heralded as a success story for the recruitment department that is led by Dennis Wise, the executive director (football), but Bassong has credited Kevin Keegan, the former Newcastle manager, for his discovery. “I came to Newcastle because my agent knew Kevin Keegan and my agent told him he had me and that I was a good player at Metz,” he said. “Kevin had seen me play one or two times for France Under-21 and he asked my agent if I could come for a trial.”

Pisses all over the myth that Keegan had become too 'out-of-touch' - ie. no longer a holder of the mechanics of being able to spot promising players, he no longer had the contacts in the player agent merry go round etc - thanks his lengthy hiatus from professional football.

A myth that was peddled here.

Apologies but how does it "Piss on the myth." You think he was watching Ligue 1 closely in be tween training and trying to keep us up? Bear in mind Ligue 1 is not a prominent league here and he won't have just discovered him sitting at home. You must also take into consideration that Bassong was at Metz a team that was relegated, so an even bigger find. Accept that the scouting team found him, knew he was good enough the "Trial" confirmed it and he was signed.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article5854476.ece

Bassong has been a rare positive in another gruelling season for Newcastle. Signed from Metz last summer, the 22-year-old Frenchman has been heralded as a success story for the recruitment department that is led by Dennis Wise, the executive director (football), but Bassong has credited Kevin Keegan, the former Newcastle manager, for his discovery. “I came to Newcastle because my agent knew Kevin Keegan and my agent told him he had me and that I was a good player at Metz,” he said. “Kevin had seen me play one or two times for France Under-21 and he asked my agent if I could come for a trial.”

Pisses all over the myth that Keegan had become too 'out-of-touch' - ie. no longer a holder of the mechanics of being able to spot promising players, he no longer had the contacts in the player agent merry go round etc - thanks his lengthy hiatus from professional football.

Apologies but how does it "Piss on the myth." You think he was watching Ligue 1 closely in be tween training and trying to keep us up? Bear in mind Ligue 1 is not a prominent league here and he won't have just discovered him sitting at home. You must also take into consideration that Bassong was at Metz a team that was relegated, so an even bigger find. Accept that the scouting team found him, knew he was good enough the "Trial" confirmed it and he was signed.

F***ing liar, this Bassong bloke. He can't accept the truth, eh.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/06/relegation-fears-are-rising-for-nufc-says-bassong-61634-23077117/

Relegation fears are rising for NUFC says Bassong

Mar 6 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

SÉBASTIEN Bassong is desperate to ensure a wonderful first season at Newcastle does not turn into a relegation disaster as he admitted United’s players are increasingly worried about dropping into the Championship.

Although the Magpies delivered a much-improved display against reigning champions Manchester United on Wednesday night, the 2-1 defeat means they are just one point above the drop zone with ten games remaining.

And Bassong, who insisted he will always be grateful to former Magpies manager Kevin Keegan for bringing him to the club, is adamant Newcastle will have to maintain that standard of performance if they are going to scramble to safety.

“We’re very disappointed with the result against Manchester United because I think we deserved at least a draw,” said Bassong, who revealed it was Keegan, not United’s executive director (football) Dennis Wise, who brought him to St James’s Park last summer. “But that is football and we have to accept it.

“We’ve lost again, like we did at Bolton and the table does not look very good. We are going to have to work very hard to get out of this trouble. The players are starting to worry about relegation. It’s going to be a hard end to the season, but we have to be brave and give it our maximum to stay in the Premier League. If we play like we did against

Manchester United in our remaining games we will be safe, there is no reason why we wouldn’t be if we play like that because we will get good results.

“However, if we don’t deserve to stay up we won’t, if we don’t play well, we will go down, that is simple. I had a similar experience with Metz last season so I know all about the situation we are in. I know what we have to do and how we have to do it. Newcastle is a much bigger club and this is a bigger championship, but it’s the same problem.”

Bassong’s bitter taste of relegation with Metz still lingers, but he also knows that helped pave the way for his move to England, with the Magpies paying just £500,000 to sign him.

As arguably United’s best player this season, that will go down as a remarkably successful piece of business in the transfer market although Bassong does not credit Wise with instigating the move, as has been previously claimed by the board.

Although Newcastle’s unpopular recruitment chief may have negotiated a price with Metz and carried out contract negotiations, it was Keegan who first invited him to the North East for a trial.

“Personally it has been a good season for me, but if my team goes down there is no way I can say it has been a good season,” said Bassong.

“I will give it everything to keep Newcastle United in the Premiership. I think we deserve to stay up. It’s a big club with some great players, but we have been hurt very badly by injuries.

“When I arrived Kevin Keegan warned me it could be a long time until I played in the first team, or it could be very quick. It came very quickly because I took my chance when it came.

“I came to Newcastle because my agent knew Kevin Keegan and my agent told him he had me and that I was a good player at Metz.

“Kevin Keegan had seen me play one or two times for France Under-21s and he asked my agent if I could come for a trial to see how I was with my teammates and how I felt about living in England.

“After the trial, Kevin Keegan was happy, the staff were happy, so I signed. It was a big thrill for me when someone of Kevin Keegan’s stature wanted to sign me.

“I was sad when he went, but even though I’m young I have experienced this sort of thing before.”

Meanwhile, the Football Association has confirmed it will not take any disciplinary action against United defender Steven Taylor following his clash with Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo and subsequent tunnel tussle with Rio Ferdinand on Wednesday night.

Taylor was booked for a foul on Michael Carrick during the 2-1 defeat, but also caught Ronaldo in the face, prompting Ferdinand to chase him off the pitch at half time before they were pulled apart by team-mates.

Guest teepee

i honestly think he was a bit jekyll/hyde-ish against united - brilliant moments and some very dodgy ones as well....

having said that i am thrilled with him in general!

Guest float one in

Ha! Would love to see Lambrini's face when he reads that article. So much for him being found by Wise, as was stated quite unequivocally by all acounts at the Supporters Panel meeting.

Fuck me sideways :lol:

Straight from the horses mouth and you're still denying it.

What possible motive could Bassong have for telling a tall tale like that? Have a word. More lies from Llambias though - he's like Kenny Snr from Phoenix Nights.

He doesn't have quite so many army medals mind :lol:

Not that I particularly give a damn about who signed Bassong, or any of this other mundane rubbish, but I don't think Bassong knows exactly who "spotted" him or who facilitated his transfer. In all likelihood , it makes the player feel better about coming to a club, if he thinks the manager has been looking at him. As he says himself, "it was a big thrill when Kevin Keegan wanted to sign me". I doubt he's jumping with glea because Derek Llambias is an admirer.

Not that I particularly give a damn about who signed Bassong, or any of this other mundane rubbish, but I don't think Bassong knows exactly who "spotted" him or who facilitated his transfer. In all likelihood , it makes the player feel better about coming to a club, if he thinks the manager has been looking at him. As he says himself, "it was a big thrill when Kevin Keegan wanted to sign me". I doubt he's jumping with glea because Derek Llambias is an admirer.

His agent knew Kevin Keegan for fucks sake. Bassong was probably well in the loop as to what was going on.

So now Keegan signed all the players?

Wonder why he left then?

No, Keegan only signed the good ones ;)

Fair question though, everyone is clammering stake this as evidence that the club is run by liars without taking account of the fact that it undermines the claim that Keegan 'had to leave because of interference'.

What fucking interference?

Wonder why he left then?

Fair question though, everyone is clammering stake this as evidence that the club is run by liars without taking account of the fact that it undermines the claim that Keegan 'had to leave because of interference'.

The only players we now know for a fact he had a hand in signing were Guthrie and Bassong. Jonas, Colo, Xisco, Gonzalez are still unaccounted for but due to the league they played in i'd wager Wise, Vetere and Jiminez were behind them.

There is also the matter of the Milner transfer and the noises made with regards to areas we needed to improve in. Oh, and there's also the Owen contract which Keegan was calling to be extended all summer.

Just because Keegan signed one player (To be honest I had it on good authority that Guthrie, Bassong and Zayette were KK's only dealings. I was thrown when DL said otherwise.) doesn't mean there was no intereference. There are still a boatload of unanswered questions, such as why Mike Ashley said that there would be no interference until Keegan left when apparently he knew he wouldn't have control. It's not a black and white issue.

Wonder why he left then?

The only players we now know for a fact he had a hand in signing were Guthrie and Bassong. Jonas, Colo, Xisco, Gonzalez are still unaccounted for but due to the league they played in i'd wager Wise, Vetere and Jiminez were behind them.

There is also the matter of the Milner transfer and the noises made with regards to areas we needed to improve in. Oh, and there's also the Owen contract which Keegan was calling to be extended all summer.

Just because Keegan signed one player (To be honest I had it on good authority that Guthrie, Bassong and Zayette were KK's only dealings. I was thrown when DL said otherwise.) doesn't mean there was no intereference. There are still a boatload of unanswered questions, such as why Mike Ashley said that there would be no interference until Keegan left when apparently he knew he wouldn't have control. It's not a black and white issue.

With him on the record as being happy as fuck about Jonas and Colo, it seems a massive shame that the club's fortunes have been determined by a disagreement of opinion over a non-entity like James fucking Milner.

What a waste if true.

it seems a massive shame that the club's fortunes have been determined by a disagreement of opinion over a non-entity like James fucking Milner.

Plus the likes of Xisco, to be fair. I sort of agree with your fundamental point though.

it seems a massive shame that the club's fortunes have been determined by a disagreement of opinion over a non-entity like James fucking Milner.

Plus the likes of Xisco, to be fair. I sort of agree with your fundamental point though.

Completely correct, and both the club and Keegan have to take equal blame about it ever getting to the stage it did.

Professionals should have been able to sort out such a minor point, if it really was that minor.

Wonder why he left then?

With him on the record as being happy as fuck about Jonas and Colo, it seems a massive shame that the club's fortunes have been determined by a disagreement of opinion over a non-entity like James fucking Milner.

What a waste if true.

Getting rid of Milner for £12 million looked like a masterstroke...until it was revealed they've got until around 2030 to pay off the fucking transfer.

I don't think it was the only problem, but along with Barton it was the one that broke the camel's back.

Wonder why he left then?

What a waste if true.

Getting rid of Milner for £12 million looked like a masterstroke...until it was revealed they've got until around 2030 to pay off the fucking transfer.

I don't think it was the only problem, but along with Barton it was the one that broke the camel's back.

Thats my point, this stuff about Bassong shows there was less areas of contention than previously thought.

Wonder why he left then?

What a waste if true.

Thats my point, this stuff about Bassong shows there was less areas of contention than previously thought.

I don't think it does. As i've said i've been told that Bassong and Guthrie were Keegan's only two signings. Aside from tampering with the players we've bought and sold there's other elements such as lack of transfers, squad depth, Owen's contract and the apparent breakdown in communication between Llambias and Keegan which resulted in  Llambias "wanting to punch him".

The camel in question had a lot of shite heaped on it before the Milner deal was thrown on the pile.