Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

So it's obvious that KK found him. Llambias is a lying t*** then. Good journalism to whichever journalist decided to ask Seba this question.

KK said “That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match." on 28th July 2008. Which is incontravertible evidence that Bassong knew what you'd expect him to know about his transfer from Metz to Newcastle. His level of English at the time would not have been good enough to understand the nuances of the deal. The key message from his agent would have been 'the manager likes you and wants you'. Of course if Keegan knew all about him and had already scouted him, why did he need to bring him in on trial? And why did he say "“That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match."?

What this debate demonstrates to me is how sensitised football supporters have become to discussing millions of pounds worth of money because the premise of this argument is that one person pops up during a weekly meeting, shouts a name out and from there on in, the player is this persons signing and its done and dusted.

Even for Bassong's relatively small fee (Small!! Not even the worlds biggest clubs just throw 1.5m around on the off chance the player is ok), the decision to buy him would have been a mix of someone coming up with a list of needs, somone coming up with a list of players that meet these needs, some lengthy discussion about which ones to look at, further lengthy discussions about whether a trial is needed, the trial itself and as far as i can tell, Keegan having the final choice over the signing like he was meant to have all along.

It seems to me that the quote from the player (who would know the least about how his name ended up on a piece of paper in a meeting on football affairs at SJP in 2008) is what he was told (the manager thinks you're great) and the quote from Keegan suggests, contrary to what Bassong thinks, “That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match."

Doesnt all this just tell us that a team of people were in place to manage transfers with the final say being Keegans? Which is pretty much how its been sold to us.

There are so many assumptions in your post.  It's obvious all were involved.  The facts are Llambias said Bassong was Wise's, when Bassong himself has said something on the lines of Keegan was. 

Im speculating but Keegans quote you kept mentioning could in fact be about seeing him in a Newcastle match, as before that he had just been doing training with the club.

"Vital Newcastle United broke the news weeks ago that Arsene Wenger was preparing a bid for United's highly-rated centre-back Sebastien Bassong, and now finally, the popular press is catching on. The Daily Mirror is reporting that the 22-year-old Frenchman is the subject of a sensational bid from The Gunners.

Arsenal manager Wenger is ready to offer the Magpies 11 million (£10 million) for the France Under-21 international who has established himself as the best newcomer to the league this season.

The Magpies had acquired Bassong on a bargain from French outfit Metz, for an initial payment of only £500,000.

Mike Ashley is now considering whether to cash-in on the player, which would give him an overall profit of £9.5 million. "

They had better not even consider this one!  :rant:

Get players on the cheap, sell them on for inflated prices - The Mike Ashley dream.

So it's obvious that KK found him. Llambias is a lying t*** then. Good journalism to whichever journalist decided to ask Seba this question.

Even for Bassong's relatively small fee (Small!! Not even the worlds biggest clubs just throw 1.5m around on the off chance the player is ok),

He only cost 500k, which big teams will throw around all the time. 

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/07/colo-bassong-can-be-a-world-cup-star-72703-23086619/

Colo: Bassong can be a World Cup star

Mar 7 2009 by Neil Farrington, Evening Chronicle

FABRICIO COLOCCINI believes he and Newcastle centre-back buddy Sebastien Bassong may be opponents next year . . . at the World Cup.

Coloccini is tipping his in-form United defensive partner to break into the France squad this season and hold down a place going into South Africa 2010.

With Colo intent on recapturing his place in the Argentina set-up, he is relishing the possibility of putting one over his fellow Magpie on the biggest stage of all.

While Coloccini arrived at St James’s Park from Deportivo La Coruna last summer to all the fanfare of a £10 million-plus move, Bassong sneaked in almost unnoticed from Metz for a small fraction of that sum.

However, the 22-year-old Parisien has proved the shining light in a season of gloom on Tyneside, with a string of composed performances preventing struggling Newcastle from plumbing to even lower depths.

Coloccini said: “Seb has been our best player. I don’t know about the whole season, but in our last 10 or 12 games he has been very, very good.

“I had not heard of him before he came here. When I look at how well he has done, it is a big surprise.

“Today, I asked him if he has played for France.

“He said no, but I think in the next two or three months he will.

“Maybe I will play against him in the World Cup next year. I hope so, because he is a great player and a good person.”

Coloccini’s hopes of starring in South Africa were dented when he was dropped from Argentina’s squad for last month’s friendly against France.

The 27-year-old is confident Newcastle – by surviving relegation and then making forward strides next season – can still be his platform for international success.

He added: “I hope this season is unusual. Next year, the team should do better, as we have lots of good players here.”

Meanwhile, Coloccini revealed he will NEVER cut his hair . . . despite constant ribbing from team-mates about his

trademark bubble perm.

The Argentinian chopped his locks down to size just once – during a difficult spell at AC Milan as a teenager – but is determined never to bow to peer pressure again.

Coloccini insisted. “I will never cut off my hair.

“There was a time when I went to AC Milan and the older players like Costacurta and Maldini said: ‘You must cut your hair. It looks stupid. You must cut it.’

“I was so fed up of everybody’s comments I ended up having it cut. Never again.

“Here at Newcastle, some of the players say: ‘Bad hair! Bad hair!’ But I don’t care what they say.”

With his eye-catching curls attracting plenty of attention on the city’s streets, Coloccini has quickly learned that Newcastle’s fans live and breathe football.

He admitted: “The passion of the fans here is amazing – they are more passionate than in Spain and similar to fans in Italy.

“They are like the fans in South America – of Boca Juniors, or a club like that.

“Newcastle are well known in Argentina for their fans.

“It would be nice if the club was well known again for its football.”

:: FABRICIO Coloccini was speaking on behalf of Nike at the North Shields Powerleague and is asking all Newcastle players aged 16-24 to “Show Your Five” in a nationwide tournament.

Premier League stars will drop in to see the action from more than 200 tournaments at Powerleagues across the country, with the winners from each city then going head-to-head at the national final for the title of Nike5 champions.

KK said “That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match." on 28th July 2008. Which is incontravertible evidence that Bassong knew what you'd expect him to know about his transfer from Metz to Newcastle. His level of English at the time would not have been good enough to understand the nuances of the deal. The key message from his agent would have been 'the manager likes you and wants you'. Of course if Keegan knew all about him and had already scouted him, why did he need to bring him in on trial? And why did he say "“That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match."?

What this debate demonstrates to me is how sensitised football supporters have become to discussing millions of pounds worth of money because the premise of this argument is that one person pops up during a weekly meeting, shouts a name out and from there on in, the player is this persons signing and its done and dusted.

Even for Bassong's relatively small fee (Small!! Not even the worlds biggest clubs just throw 1.5m around on the off chance the player is ok), the decision to buy him would have been a mix of someone coming up with a list of needs, somone coming up with a list of players that meet these needs, some lengthy discussion about which ones to look at, further lengthy discussions about whether a trial is needed, the trial itself and as far as i can tell, Keegan having the final choice over the signing like he was meant to have all along.

It seems to me that the quote from the player (who would know the least about how his name ended up on a piece of paper in a meeting on football affairs at SJP in 2008) is what he was told (the manager thinks you're great) and the quote from Keegan suggests, contrary to what Bassong thinks, “That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match."

Doesnt all this just tell us that a team of people were in place to manage transfers with the final say being Keegans? Which is pretty much how its been sold to us.

There are so many assumptions in your post.  It's obvious all were involved.  The facts are Llambias said Bassong was Wise's, when Bassong himself has said something on the lines of Keegan was. 

Im speculating but Keegans quote you kept mentioning could in fact be about seeing him in a Newcastle match, as before that he had just been doing training with the club.

The quote is

“We’ve got a chance to sign him, and I’ll talk with Dennis, and just see where we go from here.

“That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match. He’s a nice lad. We had him all week. He’s in the French Under-21s so he’s no mug – he can play.”

So if my assumption is that 'we'll take Kk to have meant what he actually said" then its not an assumption at all.

My real assumption was that Bassong knew that KK had seen him play for the under-21s, only it was just on TV as KK said last July, "That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match".

In fact, if you want assumptions, heres one; Wise sent him tapes of more than one player, KK fancied looking at Bassong, hence the trial.

Even for Bassong's relatively small fee (Small!! Not even the worlds biggest clubs just throw 1.5m around on the off chance the player is ok),

1.5m and the point was, it was a process involving many people.

1.5m and the point was, it was a process involving many people.

Who said he cost £1.5m?

Guest float one in

The quote is

“We’ve got a chance to sign him, and I’ll talk with Dennis, and just see where we go from here.

“That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match. He’s a nice lad. We had him all week. He’s in the French Under-21s so he’s no mug – he can play.”

So if my assumption is that 'we'll take Kk to have meant what he actually said" then its not an assumption at all.

My real assumption was that Bassong knew that KK had seen him play for the under-21s, only it was just on TV as KK said last July, "That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match".

In fact, if you want assumptions, heres one; Wise sent him tapes of more than one player, KK fancied looking at Bassong, hence the trial.

Going purely off the quotes I would say this is what happened:

1) Keegan already knew Bassongs agent, possibly form previous transfer dealings at Man City.

2) Bassongs agent wants to get his player into the premier league, and naturally contacts KK first because he knows him. We don't know if he was offered to more clubs. As far as I know its common for agents to have videos of their players: no doubt these videos were sent to KK, who after watching them called Bassong up for a trial.

3) KK liked what he saw in the trial and asked Ashley/Wise/Lambias/whoever to do the deal.

So nobody "found" him as such - he was offered to us by the agent, thanks to his relationship with KK. Thats my guess anyway! Columbo eat your heart out...

Edit: its probably not too dissimilar to how JFK got Lovenkrands, to use another recent example, apart from that Lovenkrands wasn't as much of an unknown quantity.

Guest Stephen927

When Llambias says Bassong was a Wise signing, does he mean Wise went out and found him, or Wise dealt with the contract and negotiated us a good fee?

So it's obvious that KK found him. Llambias is a lying twat then. Good journalism to whichever journalist decided to ask Seba this question.

KK said Thats the first time Ive seen him in a match." on 28th July 2008. Which is incontravertible evidence that Bassong knew what you'd expect him to know about his transfer from Metz to Newcastle. His level of English at the time would not have been good enough to understand the nuances of the deal. The key message from his agent would have been 'the manager likes you and wants you'. Of course if Keegan knew all about him and had already scouted him, why did he need to bring him in on trial? And why did he say "Thats the first time Ive seen him in a match."?

It seems to me that the quote from the player (who would know the least about how his name ended up on a piece of paper in a meeting on football affairs at SJP in 2008) is what he was told (the manager thinks you're great) and the quote from Keegan suggests, contrary to what Bassong thinks, Thats the first time Ive seen him in a match."

Your scenario and conclusion is very plausible. But if true, you have to wonder why Llambias would come out with something like 'Bassong was Dennis' signing'. Either he genuinely believes that, in which case there's still the issue of why a higher-up of a football club is getting involved in something so petty. Or, he's being divisive on purpose, or does he generally just have trouble speaking in more moderate terms in the face of pressure (from NUSC, in this case) which consequently leads to even more questioning and pressure (the 'it is a fact' statement comes to mind). Maybe it's still to do with legal issues, but it seems that Llambias cannot concede that KK was a part of this or any other good signing. Maybe you're right in that a lot of people were involved in it with KK having the final say, in which case Llambias should say so instead of saying what he did. Saying what he did makes it seem as if Wise handpicked, negotiated and signed Seba then delivered him to KK saying 'here's a player for you' which obviously creates even more problems, if true.

The quote is

Going purely off the quotes I would say this is what happened:

1) Keegan already knew Bassongs agent, possibly form previous transfer dealings at Man City.

2) Bassongs agent wants to get his player into the premier league, and naturally contacts KK first because he knows him. We don't know if he was offered to more clubs. As far as I know its common for agents to have videos of their players: no doubt these videos were sent to KK, who after watching them called Bassong up for a trial.

3) KK liked what he saw in the trial and asked Ashley/Wise/Lambias/whoever to do the deal.

So nobody "found" him as such - he was offered to us by the agent, thanks to his relationship with KK. Thats my guess anyway! Columbo eat your heart out...

Edit: its probably not too dissimilar to how JFK got Lovenkrands, to use another recent example, apart from that Lovenkrands wasn't as much of an unknown quantity.

Bassong's agent is from/based in Hamburg, which may explain the connection with KK. As the TF write up stated "Obviously riled, DL mentioned Bassong as a Wise signing; in so much that he completed the deal " i think that make it pretty clear that Wise didnt discover him.

EDIT: just looked and Hughton and Wise did go to scout a Metz match but Bassong didnt play.

Dear me.. Do you really believe Bassong would not understand his own agent who probably speaks French as well as he does..? As for the rest, keep putting your head in the sand.

• 2 weeks later...

Bassong biding his time

Magpies' French defender in no rush to sign

Last updated: 19th March 2009

Newcastle United defender Sebastien Bassong is in no rush to sign a new and improved long-term contract with the St James' Park outfit.

Bassong only joined The Magpies last summer from French outfit Metz in a deal reportedly worth £1.5million after impressing while on trial.

The 22-year-old has been one of Newcastle's better performers in an otherwise forgettable season, leading to speculation he could be targeted by Arsenal this summer.

Bassong has confirmed Newcastle are keen to tie him down to a long-term deal, although the no-nonsense centre-half is biding his time and wants to see the club secure their top-flight status before committing his future.

Nothing agreed

"Newcastle's management want me to sign a contract extension, but nothing has been agreed," Bassong told the Daily Star.

"There has been talk of a lot of players leaving during the summer. It's not my responsibility, but I'll obviously follow the situation closely.

"It is down to me to weigh up the pros and cons and I will take my time to make up my mind. I've heard about Arsenal, but this is not the time to talk about it.

"I have stepped up a level since joining Newcastle, but I am still serving my apprenticeship and have lots more to learn.

"For the time being I can say I've made a good choice, though a lot of water has gone under the bridge since my trial last summer and I have earned my place in the first-team."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5070746,00.html

"Apprenticeship". :undecided:

Meh, can't blame him for seeing it that way. I didn't blame Zoggy for wanting to bugger off either, i just didn't agree with the way he went about it. What's sad here is that Bassong's naming prospective clubs aswell, just like Zog did. You just shouldn't do it imo.

I don't think he is outright naming clubs he'd like to join though. I may be wrong, but if he gets asked by someone about Arsenal then it's natural that he'll reply positively. He's not said he wants to leave but given his sort of uncertain position it is understandable that he is getting links to other clubs. That and it's agent talk as well. Like he says "I've heard about Arsenal, but this is not the time to talk about it". I totally agree, what's wrong with that?

N'Zogbia differed because he clearly wanted out even before his statement (excuse) concerning Kinnear, and him and his agent were hyping him up and talking about all these big clubs he'd like to join.