Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Who knows for sure if Arsenal are really interested?  He is young and French so Wenger must be after him - easy for the rumour pages to come up with that one and then of course it gets picked up by all the papers.  It would not be a surprise if Wenger was interested but then again Shay and Zoggy were joining Arsenal every transfer window and it never happened.

People should stop shitting the bed every time the sun tell us one of our players wants out.

Bassong would be interested if Arsenal want him, fuck me!? really? Shocking.

Exactly. Has no one considered Bassong is just using the Arsenal angle to try and get himself a better deal?

Remember Steve Taylor's dad using Alan Oliver to put Liverpool's interest ( :lol: ) in the press if he didn't get a better contract?

If we give him a fair deal in the summer he'll sign a new contract here.

People should stop shitting the bed every time the sun tell us one of our players wants out.

Bassong would be interested if Arsenal want him, f*** me!? really? Shocking.

Exactly. Has no one considered Bassong is just using the Arsenal angle to try and get himself a better deal?

Remember Steve Taylor's dad using Alan Oliver to put Liverpool's interest ( :lol: ) in the press if he didn't get a better contract?

If we give him a fair deal in the summer he'll sign a new contract here.

Remember the summer when all we heard was "Dyer to Leeds for £20m" and "Solano to Real Madrid", etc.

Ended up having our most exciting season since Keegan left after that.

• 4 weeks later...

You really cant praise this lad enough, its like everytime i see him with the ball on his feet i never get worried, when was the last time you could say that about a defender at the club before?

And he is doing it every game too, fucking gem

It was his poor defending that allowed Geovanni a free header in the Hull game recently, so lets not cream our pants that he is perfect eh? Very good prospect, but not perfect.

You really cant praise this lad enough, its like everytime i see him with the ball on his feet i never get worried, when was the last time you could say that about a defender at the club before?

And he is doing it every game too, f***ing gem

It was his poor defending that allowed Geovanni a free header in the Hull game recently, so lets not cream our pants that he is perfect eh? Very good prospect, but not perfect.

And Vidic messed up and let Torres score, did you expect Bassong to be perfect?

And he is doing it every game too, f***ing gem

And Vidic messed up and let Torres score, did you expect Bassong to be perfect?

I think I answered that in my original post.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/20/sebastien-bassong-urges-toon-fighting-mentality-72703-23425164/

Sebastien Bassong urges Toon 'fighting mentality'

Apr 20 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

SEBASTIEN BASSONG has admitted that only a “fighting mentality” will save Newcastle United from dropping into the Championship.

However, while the French star was deeply disappointed by United’s latest defeat at Spurs, he was realistic about the situation.

The Magpies are now four points from safety with five games left to play.

And the summer signing from Metz admits Newcastle have no choice but to come out fighting against Portsmouth next Monday night in what has turned into the most important game in United’s Premier League history.

Memories of 1992’s must-win Second Division encounter with Pompey are certain to come flooding back, with failure to take three points against the south coast outfit now unthinkable for Toon fans.

But Bassong tried to give supporters hope today when he told the Chronicle: “We’re very disappointed about the Spurs result.

“We didn’t do enough to get the result we wanted.

“The situation is starting to get very hard for us, but we just have to be ready for the next game.

“I think we can still win this fight – we have to.

“Everyone believes that we can do it.”

The Chronicle understands that Bassong has stalled on signing a new deal with the black-and-whites in order to focus on helping rescue the Mags from dropping into second-tier football for the first time since 1989 when Jim Smith’s side were relegated.

The emergence of Bassong has arguably been the highlight of a bleak season – just one win in the last 17 games in all competitions – for the beleaguered Toon Army.

The Frenchman added: “Newcastle means a lot to me, and I don’t want the club to go down in my first season.

“They gave me a great opportunity in the Premier League, so it’s very, very important for me to help Newcastle stay in the league.”

His mistake for the goal yesterday, should never have been so deep. Nearly did the same second half before blocking it.

Not his best game.

I would say it was nicky butts fault for the goal. he just drifted and left bent to run in.

• 3 weeks later...
It's difficult to look back dispassionately at Newcastle United's season, and almost impossible to judge just where the moments of quality were in a campaign of off-field turmoil in which everyone at the club has seemed to fall out with everyone else at some stage. Manager Kevin Keegan fell out with owner Mike Ashley and director of football Dennis Wise and left, in a typically high-profile manner.

That was just the beginning. The fans then turned on Ashley who announced the club was for sale, after fan protests led to threats against Ashley's family. Joe Kinnear was brought in as interim manager, whilst the board went into meltdown and Keegan took legal action. Kinnear did a fair job if reviving the club and enjoyed a busy January transfer window. Then he had heart problems that required surgery, and his season was over almost as soon as he'd been offered a two-year full-time contract as manager.

Enter the messiah. No, not Chris Hughton; nor Colin Calderwood (though they still hang around the dug-out on match days and fetch drinks for people), but Geordie legend Alan Shearer. If anyone can keep them up he can, the Toon Army yelled with delight. He hasn't won a game yet. The club are almost adrift in the relegation zone, and have been rocked by yet more extremely distasteful behaviour from English football's bete noire, Mr Joey Barton, suspended indefinitely in the aftermath of the Magpies' 3-0 defeat at Anfield on Sunday.

Some football was played in the midst of all that, but not all of it very good. The league table doesn't lie at this stage of the season. Still, one or two players have turned the odd performance, and the stand-out performers, in no particular order, are rated below. I cast my vote below, and leave it to you, the readers, to have your say...

1) Sebastien Bassong: When all around were falling apart, the Frenchman has been a pillar of strength at the back for the Magpies. Being the first name on the team-sheet in a season like this might not be considered much of a feat, but the Frenchman has often looked like the only player who knows what he's doing. Sadly for Toon fans, his assurance, strength and all-round defensive qualities will probably be somewhere else next season.

2) Jonas Gutierrez: 'Spiderman' has established himself as a fans' favourite with his busy tenacity in midfield and commitment to the cause, but the various managers at St James' Park have often not agreed with them. It's been no cakewalk for the Argentine winger who arrived from Real Mallorca in the summer though, with settling in proving difficult. However, he has shown that he cares, and in this campaign that deserves credit.

3) Obafemi Martins: A genuine talent, the quicksilver striker can threaten any defence in the world on his day, and has managed seven goals this campaign. Troubled by a persistent groin injury, but deserves much credit for answering Shearer's call to arms and playing through the pain as the season ends.

4) Steven Taylor: A Geordie lad who bleeds black and white and has shown his usual commitment to the side, his almost tearful goal celebration at Wigan a sign of his love for the club. Despite some dodgy theatrics at times, Taylor is a quality centre-back, who can lead and dominate from the back. Like many this season though, has battled with injury, but his effort cannot be questioned, especially when at times this term it seemed there wasn't much left that was worthy of loyalty at the club.

5) Michael Owen: Look, if Giggsy can get the PFA Award, then sentiment can play its part in Owen's nomination for this, certainly for those of us old and kind enough to remember him as the vibrant 17-year-old who lit up the 1998 World Cup, rather than the crocked mercenary he resembles nowadays. Nevertheless, he still managed ten league and cup goals in an injury-hit season, and Toon fans must wonder what might have been if he'd stayed fit.

My vote: Sebastien Bassong. There is simply no other candidate in my view. The Frenchman is a superb defender who hasn't looked out of place in the Premier League at all, unlike his club, sadly...

My vote, too!

Guest optimistic nit

enrique deserves a mention. he's had a good season compared to anyone in front of him.

I agree about him playing his way out of trouble, he doesn't appear to have the technical ability to get away with it every time.

Nailed on for player of the season mind, hopefully we can hold onto him.