Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

if Llambias was 'lying' about Bassong why are people accepting what he said about Xisco? Considering the legal issues and looking at bit closer at his comments it was apparently said that Bassong was a wise signing "in so far as he did the negotiations" or words to that effect, so its obvious that Llambias is speaking in technicalities rather than full out saying Bassong is Wise's or Xisco Keegan's. If he is using a mere technicality to put Bassong down to Wise, then he may well be doing the same with Xisco, knowing that Keegan met with him and perhaps okay'd the deal based on the assumption he was getting other players in who never materialised.

my problem with his comments arent so much with who he says signed who, but the fact that he IS saying that, that he thinks it's at all important. it shows the divisive attitude which caused the problems within the club originally still exists. i'd expect fans on a website to vent hot air and point score by dividing up the squad, but it's downright unprofessional for the club chairman to attempt the same. i dont think Llambias has it in him to act clearly and objectively as a mediator between different facets of the club (or even between fans and club) based on press releases sanctioned by him (the 'it is a fact' farce) and by what he's reported to have said in these discussions. out of his depth.

We don't know for a fact that Llambais is lying though, Bassong was clearly one of those players who fit the profile of the type of player the club were looking to sign. Like Guthrie this was one of those signings that both Wise and Keegan were on the same page on, that was how the system was supposed to work ideally.

that's wot im saying, he's talking in technicalities, ie, wise conducted negotiations so Bassong can do down as a Wise signing. means nothing but cheap & divisive point scoring which is pathetic considering his position.

What a sad entictment on this whole club that the one time the system appears to have worked perfectly... Keegan's name and reputation being a draw for the player, Keegans eye for a player having watched him, Wise and the rest of the directors for the negotiating etc, yet the fans still cant agree. Even sadder is that some dont appear to be able to accept that Keegan had a part to play in it.

Grim days.

Guest Heneage

Did Jon Snow tell you to always believe interested parties before anyone else?

No that's not my point.

But we are arguing over who discovered the player and not the player himself. This is just a glorified "My Dad's harder than your Dad."

As for your hilarious and witty Jon Snow comment. I applaud you Sir, please post more.

If he was referring simply to that, you'd have thought he'd have said when he mentioned the, "Hes in the French Under-21s so hes no mug," line that he'd seen him before surely?

Similarly, Bassong would have referred to people from the club watching him as a France U21 performer, rather than specifically mentioning Keegan as the one approached by his agent because of their previous dealings together..

Why would it bug you if Bassong wasn´t a Wise find by the way?

Not bothered who discovered him. What makes you think that? Just found it funny how people have been going on since the Bassong quote, then someone plucked that one up from the summer and it's brushed off.

No that's not my point.

But we are arguing over who discovered the player and not the player himself. This is just a glorified "My Dad's harder than your Dad."

As for your hilarious and witty Jon Snow comment. I applaud you Sir, please post more.

Your last post in this thread demanded that someone accept a certain version of events. As for the last bit, it's pertinent - you made that demand in the light of good evidence evidence to the contrary, suggesting it shouldn't even be considered. Following the evidence is supposed to be what you're looking to get a job in doing.

Guest Heneage

No that's not my point.

Your last post in this thread demanded that someone accept a certain version of events. As for the last bit, it's pertinent - you made that demand in the light of good evidence evidence to the contrary, suggesting it shouldn't even be considered. Following the evidence is supposed to be what you're looking to get a job in doing.

My last post  simply addressed this inane nature of "It was Wise or Keegan" that discovered Bassong. Its just daft we will never really know and it bears little relevance on the player himself. Bassong is our best signing this season no question. I don't care if Roy Keane or Satan signed him he's our player and that's that. My "Future Job" should also bear no relevance on my ability to discuss Football, and the sooner members on here get over that the better.

Who "signed" Bassong is relevant in so far as we are asked by the people in charge to put trust into a system that they claim will reap rewards. They base this on the evidence of one player we have supposedly unearthed through this system and who, it has to be said, is turning out to be a very good deal for the club indeed. The player is now on record with a different version of what happened. Even those who want to believe this system will allow us to compete on the cheap must admit it is a strange and confusing turn of events.

Who "signed" Bassong is relevant in so far as we are asked by the people in charge to put trust into a system that they claim will reap rewards. They base this on the evidence of one player we have supposedly unearthed through this system and who, it has to be said, is turning out to be a very good deal for the club indeed. The player is now on record with a different version of what happened. Even those who want to believe this system will allow us to compete on the cheap must admit it is a strange and confusing turn of events.

It's not confusing at all. I'd believe a quote from Keegan himself, who said he'd have to speak to Wise about whether a deal could be done, rather than a player who would have probably not been involved until his agent had agreed things, etc.

It's not confusing at all. I'd believe a quote from Keegan himself, who said he'd have to speak to Wise about whether a deal could be done, rather than a player who would have probably not been involved until his agent had agreed things, etc.

Heh, where's the relevance in that? We're talking about who found and decided to bring in Bassong here, not who did the final negotiations and handed him over the pen to sign the contract with.

not trying to undermine Keegan but does anyone really see him being the key figure in signing an unknown from Metz?

According to Bassong Keegan was approached by Bassong's agent, whom he knew. Considering the fact Bassong came on a trial first and in most (normal) clubs the managers have a say in incoming and outgoing transfers I would say it's not that unlikely. Looking at it from the other side; if Bassong wanted to move to the Premiership his agent would have started by contacting people he knew over here, and if indeed Keegan was one of them why would it not be possible that Keegan knew about Bassong before Wise did?

Why the fuck does it matter about who brought him here? The fact is - he cost us a few million and he's been a star performer. Well done to him, now can everyone please fuck off with this "Keegan/Wise bought him/didn't buy him" shite, because it's irrelevant!

Guest Martin

"Vital Newcastle United broke the news weeks ago that Arsene Wenger was preparing a bid for United's highly-rated centre-back Sebastien Bassong, and now finally, the popular press is catching on. The Daily Mirror is reporting that the 22-year-old Frenchman is the subject of a sensational bid from The Gunners.

Arsenal manager Wenger is ready to offer the Magpies €11 million (£10 million) for the France Under-21 international who has established himself as the best newcomer to the league this season.

The Magpies had acquired Bassong on a bargain from French outfit Metz, for an initial payment of only £500,000.

Mike Ashley is now considering whether to cash-in on the player, which would give him an overall profit of £9.5 million. "

They had better not even consider this one!  :rant:

Why the fuck does it matter about who brought him here? The fact is - he cost us a few million and he's been a star performer. Well done to him, now can everyone please fuck off with this "Keegan/Wise bought him/didn't buy him" shite, because it's irrelevant!

:thup:

"Vital Newcastle United broke the news weeks ago that Arsene Wenger was preparing a bid for United's highly-rated centre-back Sebastien Bassong, and now finally, the popular press is catching on. The Daily Mirror is reporting that the 22-year-old Frenchman is the subject of a sensational bid from The Gunners.

Arsenal manager Wenger is ready to offer the Magpies €11 million (£10 million) for the France Under-21 international who has established himself as the best newcomer to the league this season.

The Magpies had acquired Bassong on a bargain from French outfit Metz, for an initial payment of only £500,000.

Mike Ashley is now considering whether to cash-in on the player, which would give him an overall profit of £9.5 million. "

They had better not even consider this one!  :rant:

If they did, can anyone defend Ashley and co anymore?  or would it be 'balancing the books for a better long term future shit' taken to another surreal level of denial. 

This must be complete bollocks.

When they say 'finally the popular press is catching on', what they mean is that they published a completely made up rumour which journalists then read and reprinted to fill some space.

That's how football journalism works.

It matters because Llambias said a week back that he was a Wise signing whereas now quotes from Bassong himself say the opposite. And the truth matters because we'll know whether Llambias is a lying cunt or not; whether one of the most powerful people at the club is lying through his teeth about something like this affects how trustworthy he is in the eyes of many fans and will affect how much these fans trust him and Ashley whenever they come with another soundbite. If they're lying cocksuckers then we'll pay no attention to what they say but if they're not, then obviously what they have to say about the plans for the club and what their intentions are matter a great deal.

So it's obvious that KK found him. Llambias is a lying twat then. Good journalism to whichever journalist decided to ask Seba this question.

KK said “That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match." on 28th July 2008. Which is incontravertible evidence that Bassong knew what you'd expect him to know about his transfer from Metz to Newcastle. His level of English at the time would not have been good enough to understand the nuances of the deal. The key message from his agent would have been 'the manager likes you and wants you'. Of course if Keegan knew all about him and had already scouted him, why did he need to bring him in on trial? And why did he say "“That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match."?

What this debate demonstrates to me is how sensitised football supporters have become to discussing millions of pounds worth of money because the premise of this argument is that one person pops up during a weekly meeting, shouts a name out and from there on in, the player is this persons signing and its done and dusted.

Even for Bassong's relatively small fee (Small!! Not even the worlds biggest clubs just throw 1.5m around on the off chance the player is ok), the decision to buy him would have been a mix of someone coming up with a list of needs, somone coming up with a list of players that meet these needs, some lengthy discussion about which ones to look at, further lengthy discussions about whether a trial is needed, the trial itself and as far as i can tell, Keegan having the final choice over the signing like he was meant to have all along.

It seems to me that the quote from the player (who would know the least about how his name ended up on a piece of paper in a meeting on football affairs at SJP in 2008) is what he was told (the manager thinks you're great) and the quote from Keegan suggests, contrary to what Bassong thinks, “That’s the first time I’ve seen him in a match."

Doesnt all this just tell us that a team of people were in place to manage transfers with the final say being Keegans? Which is pretty much how its been sold to us.